Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to paint, powder coat, chome? the lug bolts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I have a set of 2ltr alloys with the recess paddles still annodized. I have a set of the long alloy lug bolts that I would like to use with them. On my other 914, I painted the recess paddles satin black and the lug nuts...which was easy.

I want to leave this set of wheels original looking...
Painting the bolts satin black, I don't think will look good. What can I do to make the stock bolts go with the annodized paddles?

Have the lugs chromed? I think this may look too shiny.

Paint the lugs some sort of sliver to match wheels????

Powder coat the lugs??

Looking for ideas...sorry no pics at the time, but I believe everyone knows what stock 2ltr alloys looks like.
McMark
I grabbed this image of a dealership poster from Jeff Bowlsby's great site. They're not chrome from the factory. Either silver plated, or maybe silver zinc plated.

IPB Image
Gint
I'd just paint 'em some silver color that comes close to the wheel color. That way you can touch them up later when they get scratched up from taking them on and off.
sww914
Do you have a soft socket for lug nuts? It helps the finish last longer. It's a 24mm deep socket with a soft aluminum 19mm insert.
computers4kids
Thanks guys, the picture really helps...I'm a visual person. It's funny I've never really paid attention before to what the lugs looked like on the factory 2ltrs.

My biggest fear painting them with siver paint, is they may look cheezy (like fake chrome). I don't have any problem painting them...the ones on my 74 that were painted black satin rattle can actually are holding up real well...two years later.

No, I don't have a soft socket...have to put that on my "would be nice to have" list.

Has anyone used a color of silver that goes well with the alloys? There has to be a slew of members who have done it?
G e o r g e
I think these would look good as well

what are you doing for center caps?
computers4kids
QUOTE(George H. @ Mar 20 2008, 10:04 AM) *

I think these would look good as well

what are you doing for center caps?

Hi George..
I have plenty of caps, I just don't know what to do about lugs. I have plently of the long steel ones. Actually, the chrome probably would go since it would match the raised pedals and lips which have been polished.

With all the threads written about the chrome lugs, I'm very leary about buying any off i.e ebay.
Looking for ideas...
G e o r g e
I had mine done by Al Reed, when he polished up a set of mahles

these are OEM

before

Click to view attachment

After
davep
The original finish is cadmium plate over copper plate. This gives them an appearance of matt silver with a touch of gloss. Rattle can silver paint would likely look close enough.
scotty b
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 20 2008, 10:14 AM) *

The original finish is cadmium plate over copper plate. This gives them an appearance of matt silver with a touch of gloss. Rattle can silver paint would likely look close enough.

Interesting. I have a drawer with about 5 sets and always assumed it WAS in fact silver paint on them. Obviously they are all old, used and well worn so it is hard to tell.
computers4kids
Well, worked on my project cars wheels today that I recently bought. Stripped the painted recesses with aircraft strippper. I was able to quickly remove the paint without harming the anodize below. Gave the wheels a good scrubbing and some polish.

I experimented painting the long steel lugs with some "bumper chrome paint" by plasti-kote with some amazing results...at least I think so. I was suprised how well the lugs came out. They actually look like chrome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.