Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pros and cons for wheel sizes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Gustl
could you compare following original wheel sizes for me

165 HR 15 on 5.5x15 Steel
165 HR 15 on 5.5x15 Mahle 901.361.017.00
185 HR 14 on 5.5x14 Fuchs 901.361.016.10

I'd like to learn more about the pros and cons of those wheel types.
I posted this in the "Originality and History" forum, because I don't want all the comments like "why don't you take 225 on 7x16" and similar ...
I'm talking about factory options only

bye1.gif Gustl
1970 Neun vierzehn
Gustl,
Are you talking about fitment on a /6?

Paul
Gustl
oooops ... yes, of course, I forgot to mention ...

but we're at the originality forum, so this should be clear biggrin.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
1970 Neun vierzehn
Gustl,
The Mahle wheels are, as I understand, the lightest and rarest of your choices. Some folks really like them, others don't care for their appearance.
The Fuchs are Porsche "classics", as nothing says 6 cylinder like those alloys. Virtually loved by everyone, they are, as you're well aware, commonly fitted in many sizes, on 914 varients. The 14" size, however, will provide you with an even narrower range of tire choices, I would think.
The steel wheels say "traditional, early period" Porsche. Together with small, discreet chrome hubcaps, they recall the 356 era and the adolescent years of the 911 and 912 series.
Of course, the 15" wheel selections will provide you, as stated before, with a slightly broader selection of tires to choose from. If the choice were mine, I'd go with what I liked, though any of your options would be correct.

Paul
Gustl
is there any (significant) difference in handling?
does the 15" wheel handle better, even if the 14" wheel is wider?

what about some "technical" pros and cons confused24.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Personally I like the look of steel with hubcaps. As mentioned, not too many tire choices in the 14" size. In the states Coker sells a 185x14 Michelin at over $300 each! Vredestein makes one too which Coker sells for $137. You probably can find them cheaper at home.
The Irish green car has some old 185x14 which is the OE size. I like the "baloon" tire period correct look but the 165x15 on steel or Mahles looks good too.
Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachment

Here is a shot of polished Fuchs with 195/75x14 Michelins. Same diameter as OE 185x14 but a modern tire.
Pat Garvey
I have to agree with the others concerning tire availablity for the 14" Fuchs. However, 14's allow the ride height to be tweaked for increases handling.

My only experience with 14" Fuchs was with my '70 E Sporto. Looked great, allowed for more lowering (which doesn't help ride characteristics), but 14" tires were readliy available then.

Paying wildly expensive prices for retro tires (Cocker), as all here know, does not set well with me.

Quite frankly, my favorite sixes have steel wheels & caps. You can still upgrade the size of the tires & they're readliy available. But that's just be me, and we all know I'm a curmudgeon!
Pat
Racer
165s on any of those make for a "quaint" look, imho. Definately not overtired. Over the years on my Dad's six, I have seen 185-14, 185/7014, 195/65-14 and 205/70-14. I'd say the the 205/70 looked too ballonish. The 195/65 has a nice look. Handling? depends all on tire construction.

Why not just have more then one set of wheels wink.gif
davep
The wider the tire, the better your cornering grip if the tires are otherwise equal. I think the original 185 tires were not 70 series but the taller 80 series. I just cannot recall what I used so many years ago. In any event, I would use 185 tires on any rim you might choose. If you can afford two sets, then I would go with whatever the car was delivered with, and a set of 195/60 on 6x15 Fuchs for performance. Getting performance tires in the 14 & 15 rims is difficult these days.

The 14" Fuchs were most commonly seen on the sporto. The Mahle gasburners are becoming expensive due to scarcity, perceived lightness factor. You could also go with 5.5"x 15" Fuchs from the 68 'S' which are a little incorrect or the 6" Fuchs which were, I think, also an option; and certainly period correct.
dw914er
if you can find some gasburners, the rarity factor and lightness makes them pretty nice to own.

i have the 4 lug mahles for my 4 now, and whenever i develop the funds for a concourse spec 6, i will try to get the mahles for that one
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Racer @ Mar 21 2008, 06:45 PM) *

165s on any of those make for a "quaint" look, imho. Definately not overtired. Over the years on my Dad's six, I have seen 185-14, 185/7014, 195/65-14 and 205/70-14. I'd say the the 205/70 looked too ballonish. The 195/65 has a nice look. Handling? depends all on tire construction.

Why not just have more then one set of wheels wink.gif

BTDT - twice now!

What happens is this - you restore a set of "conc" wheels, fit them with "conc" tires. Have a set of driver wheels, fit them with driver tires. After about 5 years (used to take ten years - what's with that?), both sets go belly up from leaks and dryrot.

So, you spend a fortune on wheels & tires, only to spend another fortune on tires in five years.

Can someone explain to me why 5 years seems to ring the deathknell for contemporary tires? I have a set of CN36's that are 28 years old! They hold air. They're usable around my little burg. Still depenable, though I wouldn't trust them on the interstate.

Have a set of Yoko A008R's that are 15 years old (on my 911). Hold air just fine, but i wouldn't take them......

Then, on my daily driver, I had to replace a set of Continentals that were 4 years old - because of dry rot!!!! Yeah, the sidewalls were cracked - they were toast.

What the hell is going on here?
TedK
Pat-
How often do you drive your "daily driver"? Lack of use + any significant sunlight will dry out the sidewalls. The constant flexing of the sidewalls during use "works" the built-in lubricant/conditioner from the inside towards the outside of the sidewalls. How do I know this? I was bored one night and actually read my tire info that came with the OEM Michelins on the Viper.

ps - got the clips, thanks again.

Cheers - Ted K
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.