Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Fuel leaking.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bertus
Started the car up after hibernating in the garge for the winter. I was letting it idle in the driveway for a few minutes when I noticed it leaking something. On closer inspection I found that it was fuel leaking down into one of the headers and coming out at connections in the exhaust system.

So what the heck is this? Last fall, right before I retired the car for the winter, I was trying to adjust the carbs. I am a novice at that so have I jacked this up so bad that it is putting so much fuel into that carb that it is leaking down into the exhaust? Or is it something else?

Appreciate any input, thanks.

Bert
So.Cal.914
"What" did you do to the carbs. IE: did you mess with the floats...Etc. confused24.gif
Bertus
Didn't mess with the floats, just the mixture screw.
SLITS
I'm not quite sure how you could inspect the interior of an exhaust pipe .... are you actually saying that it is leaking into the Heat Exchanger Can and dripping out of the joints for your heater system?

If that the case, you either have a leaking fuel line somewhere or pump or carb(s).

You should be able to turn on the pump, not fire the engine, and find the leak. If it's a carb with a high float level, you should be able to look down the venturi and see a steady stream coming out of the ports (just open the butterflies).

If it's a carb with a bad float needle or jammed needle valve from dirt or sticky float, you would prolly see the same thing.

If you have the above, try tapping the carb with a plastic or rubber mallet before you take it apart.

Remember, fuel can only come from certain places unless you installed those new Japanese devices that make fuel from raw air and moisture.

Ah well
Bertus
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 20 2008, 08:23 AM) *

I'm not quite sure how you could inspect the interior of an exhaust pipe .... are you actually saying that it is leaking into the Heat Exchanger Can and dripping out of the joints for your heater system?

If that the case, you either have a leaking fuel line somewhere or pump or carb(s).

You should be able to turn on the pump, not fire the engine, and find the leak. If it's a carb with a high float level, you should be able to look down the venturi and see a steady stream coming out of the ports (just open the butterflies).

If it's a carb with a bad float needle or jammed needle valve from dirt or sticky float, you would prolly see the same thing.

If you have the above, try tapping the carb with a plastic or rubber mallet before you take it apart.

Remember, fuel can only come from certain places unless you installed those new Japanese devices that make fuel from raw air and moisture.

Ah well

It is leaking around the header where it attaches, and at the joints of the header.
I will check the float, that sounds the most likely.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it!
SLITS
I knew I went the wrong direction on that one ... real headers ... ok

The plastic handle on a screwdriver works as a tapping device too!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.