Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need to order viton push rod tube o-rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
I don't want to order parts today, find out next Tuesday afternoon when they arrive that I got the wrong parts without enough time to order the correct units and get them shipped before Saturday when I plan to do the work. I've heard too many stories right here on this board about folks ordering a set of push rod tube o-rings and only half being viton (green right?) and the other half being some other crap.

Or in other words, I want to order parts and expect to get the right parts the first time.

Can anyone suggest a vendor that can perform that task?
StratPlayer
I just ordered a set from PP, give them a call they will make sure you get exactly what you want.
G e o r g e
here is a Linky
SLITS
Call Glenn @ PP ... 1-888-280-7799 X240 .... Tell him you're not my friend and he'll get the right parts for ya.

And I think Viton comes in varied colors ... guess it depends who makes them ... it's only a fuchin "0" ring.

***Late edit*** Call George too!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we had ours made and tested them and have never had a car come back for leaking prt seals ever again!
Jake Raby
The seal material WILL NOT make up for poor preparation of the surfaces and improper installation procedures.
SLITS
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 20 2008, 10:38 AM) *

The seal material WILL NOT make up for poor preparation of the surfaces and improper installation procedures.

Do I hear a chorus of AMENs on that one?
Jake Raby
In fact the Vitons are HARDER to install due to material density and "crush" factors that make the seal easier to cut during install.

ericread
I recently ordered tubes and seals and I wanted to make sure I only had to replace these once. So I ordered them from Jake Raby's site. Based on Jake's BB discussions, I also ordered "Dirko Sealant 16008" and Loctite 561 from him (I'm also replacing a number of other seals at the same time). I think Jake also recommends you order a couple extra of each of the sizes of seals, so that if you fubar one, it doesn't stop you from proceeding.

AA and the Bird site all offer similar items, but I found Jake's site to be cheaper. And knowing Jakes passion for perfection, I figured he's sell me the correct items.

(no affiliation with any vendor)

Good luck!
Jake Raby
Thanks. Installing these things daily gives us an edge for sure :-)

Most of the guys selling parts have never done an install of these items.

That said I always recommend ordering a couple extra of each seal to use as "guinea pigs" to practice the install procedures. You can use a single pushrod tube with a seal on each end and install that tube assembly in each bore of the engine and then remove it to see if any surface imperfections cause a tear that WILL be an oil leak.

This sort of "tests" the procedure and each bore at the same time and by the time you have installed that single tube assembly in each bore you'll have the feel necessary to do the job in "real time" without tearing a seal.

I have installed these seals blindfolded and still not had an oil leak- I don't use Viton :-)
ericread
Jake; I thought you also specify the Dirko sealant to better provide a leak-free environment??? AM I in error or does this really provide for a more reliable seal?
Jake Raby
I prefer the Loctite 565 sealant if I use any sealant at all..
ericread
Oops - that what I bought the Loctite for. The Dirko is for the valve covers?
stateofidleness
anyone got a walkthrough for correct oil cooler seal replacement as well as pushrod tube seals? one on bird site lacks pics and is done with engine in car..

my engine is out so some of the info differs. also, should i use some kind of sealant on EVERY seal i replace, both prt seals and oil cooler?
Gint
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 20 2008, 11:38 AM) *

I don't recall saying I was going to do it half-assed...

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 20 2008, 11:59 AM) *
In fact the Vitons are HARDER to install due to material density and "crush" factors that make the seal easier to cut during install.

That fact doesn't bother me all that much. I think I understand that they're different material. Not as squishy right? smile.gif It's not rocket science. Having said that though...

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 20 2008, 12:18 PM) *
Thanks. Installing these things daily gives us an edge for sure :-)

Most of the guys selling parts have never done an install of these items.

That said I always recommend ordering a couple extra of each seal to use as "guinea pigs" to practice the install procedures. You can use a single pushrod tube with a seal on each end and install that tube assembly in each bore of the engine and then remove it to see if any surface imperfections cause a tear that WILL be an oil leak.

This sort of "tests" the procedure and each bore at the same time and by the time you have installed that single tube assembly in each bore you'll have the feel necessary to do the job in "real time" without tearing a seal.

I have installed these seals blindfolded and still not had an oil leak- I don't use Viton :-)

You're on Jake. I'll do it your way. I hadn't planned on using sealant. You said:

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 20 2008, 12:34 PM) *
I prefer the Loctite 565 sealant if I use any sealant at all..

Under what circumstances would you feel the need to do so Jake? Do you have any nipples for head vents?

I'll call in an order this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I need to look up a few items first.

I asked who could get me the right parts the first time. I believe Jake can probably do that.
SLITS
Well Gint, there were two cars at Route 66 I did with Pelican seals and they didn't drop any oil on the tarmac. And I didn't use sealant. Cleaned bores well, small amount of motor oil on seals and pop ... they went in. I do admit I screwed up on one and cut the seal while installing but I had extras so it was no problem.

And like you so aptly said, "It's not rocket science".
Jake Raby
I asked who could get me the right parts the first time. I believe Jake can probably do that

If we can't no one can.

BTW- phoning orders in isn't as effective as using our store site.. My Dad answeres all our phones and we work on a call return basis. This time ofyear the phone is the least of our concern, unfortunately.

emailing the store, or placing the order through the site is 100% faster and more accurate as we are set up to handle orders this way exclusively.
(if my dad didn't need something to keep him busy I'd remove all the phones in the shop and crush them with the Pinzgauer- I HATE that damn phone!)
:-)
Gint
Thanks Jake. Can you answer that sealant question I asked? When do you feel the need to use a sealant for push rod tube o-rings?

I'll likely order on the site and then follow up with a phone call or message. I like to have some human contact when I'm spending money.
Gint
Order is in. I added a note asking for intake manifold to head studs long enough carb manifolds. I couldn't find them on your site but remember you saying you had some at on time.
Jake Raby
I got the info from my Dad.. I'll ring you in a bit to go over details.

I'll answer the sealant question then as well.

FWIW most of our business is overseas and the customers most of the time don't speak English... Due to that we have gotten very accustomed to using the store for the best communication. It poses some challenges for other orders, but we deal with them as they arise.
My huge dislike of "sales people" keeps us from usiing ordinary tactics and phone communication to take orders like some places that sell more generic components.

Thanks for your order, will be in touch soon!
Gint
Thanks Jake. I think I understand your process now. I'll definitely do it differently next time.

My cell phone gets *no* reception at my desk. But I'll be available anytime after 2:00 p.m. today your time.
Jake Raby
Will call you then...
No worries.
Eric_Shea
My huge dislike of "sales people" keeps us from usiing ordinary tactics

That's odd... you're one of the best there is. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.