Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HillKing
While I had this apart, I took some pictures of the underside of the dash. Easy to see it here. The 8 plastic nuts that hold the dash cap to the panel are highlighted. Just an FYI
HillKing
One more
McMark
Nice one! Thanks for sharing that.
VaccaRabite
I have a love/hate relationship with those plastic bolts. I hate them, and they love it that I hate them.

I've pulled my dash three times now. it seems like it is much more luck and alignment of planets then skill in getting that bastard out.

Zach
Gint
We have a very nice dash top removal tech article courtesy of Rob Watson. Pretty sure there is a Classic thread also.

Dash Top Removal

Rand
Hey, remember our young friend who did a very thorough classic thread on this? Haven't seen him in a while and his name is escaping me.... Joe Sharp and the Socal gang sent him a roller.... Come on, help me out here....
StratPlayer
Grasshopper is the name
Rand
BINGO. And I guess it was Rob's thread I was thinking of after all! laugh.gif

Nice pics HillKing! This is good stuff. Thanks all.
gothspeed
So this big metal peice under the dash is just 'bolted on' ?? I want to redo my dash but that front piece of vinyl needs replacing as well.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 7 2009, 08:12 AM) *

So this big metal peice under the dash is just 'bolted on' ?? I want to redo my dash but that front piece of vinyl needs replacing as well.

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but the dash is bolted to the tub, and the dash pad is bolted to the dash. I took mine out, and didn't think that it was as hard as some people have said... but I have yet to put it back in, and I fear that installation may be much more difficult than removal.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Apr 7 2009, 08:30 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 7 2009, 08:12 AM) *

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but the dash is bolted to the tub, and the dash pad is bolted to the dash. I took mine out, and didn't think that it was as hard as some people have said... but I have yet to put it back in, and I fear that installation may be much more difficult than removal.

Sorry the incorrect terminology caused such confusion but you managed to answer my question anyway. The 'metal dash' part in the picture is only 'bolted on' to the tub/chassis/monocoque, just under the front windshield.

Thanks for the help!
HillKing
If you look at the picture you can see the nuts where the studs go into the tub of the car. Along the front edge of the car. The vinyl covering is opposite this. I'm told that vinyl (cover) can be removed without removing the dash structure, If you are replacing the other vinyl I would think It would be easier to remove the whole unit. I didn't take this out but there is a bracket in the center (I think) and it my also bolt down on the sides.
sixaddict
Threads like this are great...only a few missing instructions however, like .......contort neck into most uncomfortable position.....wish for little girls hands so as to be able to reach plastic nuts.....Have strength in little girls hands equal to Swartzneger(sic)

Oh it is straight forward....but easy only if you are 5' 1" and 150lbs
Ciao

QUOTE(HillKing @ Apr 7 2009, 12:11 PM) *

If you look at the picture you can see the nuts where the studs go into the tub of the car. Along the front edge of the car. The vinyl covering is opposite this. I'm told that vinyl (cover) can be removed without removing the dash structure, If you are replacing the other vinyl I would think It would be easier to remove the whole unit. I didn't take this out but there is a bracket in the center (I think) and it my also bolt down on the sides.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.