Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting to 911 Steering Column ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I went ahead and ordered all the parts needed to convert my currently trashed steering column to a 911 unit with the 911 keyswitch and column lock ...

i should have all the parts early next week. i'll post pictures of the install as i go along ...
piratenanner.gif Andy
MrKona
Andy,

Glad to see you're "taking back" your 914. May be a dumb question - but is there a benefit of the 911 column over the 914? Bolt in application?

- Bryan
SirAndy
QUOTE(MrKona @ Mar 20 2008, 12:00 PM) *

is there a benefit of the 911 column over the 914? Bolt in application?

well, porsche once used the tagline "a real porsche has the ignition key on the left side" ... rolleyes.gif

my column is busted (dam thieves dry.gif ) so i need a replacement anyways so why not use the 911 column to up the cool factor of the car at the same time?

the column needs some minor welding (adding a 914 mount) and you have to adapt the wiring, but 911 parts are readily available and it's really not that much work ...
bye1.gif Andy
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2008, 12:35 PM) *

i'll post pictures of the install as i go along ...

Cool, because

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I bought a nice Momo wheel, only to find that nobody makes an adapter for a '70-72 /4. I've been thinking about the 911 column conversion. Looking forward to seeing how your conversion goes.

biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Mar 20 2008, 12:43 PM) *

I bought a nice Momo wheel, only to find that nobody makes an adapter for a '70-72 /4.

huh? confused24.gif

i had a Momo Prototypo on my '70 when i bought it. i later upgraded to a '74 steering column and used the same adapter to run my new Momo steering wheel ...

works fine including horn and turn signal cancel ...
shades.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
my column is busted (dam thieves dry.gif ) so i need a replacement anyways so why not use the 911 column to up the cool factor of the car at the same time?

I kinda get a kick outta that. Imagine those assholes banging the column and trying to "fire her up" with a f*^%ing screwdriver! LOL

Happy you got it back and the lefty will be cool.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2008, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Mar 20 2008, 12:43 PM) *

I bought a nice Momo wheel, only to find that nobody makes an adapter for a '70-72 /4.

huh? confused24.gif

i had a Momo Prototypo on my '70 when i bought it. i later upgraded to a '74 steering column and used the same adapter to run my new Momo steering wheel ...

works fine including horn and turn signal cancel ...
shades.gif Andy

Apparently, Momo used to make an adapter for a '70-'71 /4, but now they only list one for '72-'76. If you swapped one from an early car to a late car, that gives me hope... I have a /6 and early 911 adapter now that was represented to me as what I need for my car, but it is not. I'll look for a deal on a late 914 adapter and give it a try...

Still interested in your column swap, though...
scotty b
Definitely intersted in this also, as I am planning on the same thing whenever I get around to my car. Already got the column smile.gif
So.Cal.914
What year column are you going to use? Would one be better than another?
ClayPerrine
You do realize that I did this already? biggrin.gif

the mounting plate on a real 914/6 column will not fit a later car. You have to cut the mounting plate off a 4 cylinder column and weld it to the 911 column.

You need the metal area in the dash for the ignition lock surround, because the 911 column is flat to the dash, and the 914 column tilts upward slightly. You also have to trim the top of the clamshells to clear the tach, and you have to make a trip piece for the lock, as the factory one is NLA.

I have pictures on my computer at home.

If you run into problems, give me a call.

TeenerTim
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2008, 03:35 PM) *

I went ahead and ordered all the parts needed to convert my currently trashed steering column to a 911 unit with the 911 keyswitch and column lock ...

i should have all the parts early next week. i'll post pictures of the install as i go along ...
piratenanner.gif Andy

Of course this means you'll have to do the 911 dash swap as well.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Mar 21 2008, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2008, 03:35 PM) *

piratenanner.gif Andy

Of course this means you'll have to do the 911 dash swap as well.

He's already done it.
type47fan
. . . . examples of the real thing . . . .
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(type47fan @ Mar 21 2008, 09:13 PM) *

examples. . . .

Would you happen to want to sell that?
SirAndy
finally made some progress with this ...

the column itself is from a '73 911, i also got the correct year momo steering wheel adapter, a '74 ignition switch assembly (supposed to be better than the pre '74) and the sheetmetal from the 911 dash with the mounting recess ...

here's a picture of the lot:

Click to view attachment

first order of business, rekeying the ignition lock. this is a major pain in the butt as the lock can only be removed by drilling out a rollpin. headbang.gif

there's a good tech article on pelican on how to do this:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=348306

i've finished the ignition rekeying and now i'll be spending the rest of the day cleaning off the 35 year old grime off all the parts
piratenanner.gif Andy
SirAndy
Alright, let's finish this thread off with some more pix! biggrin.gif

911 Ignition Switch #911.613.011.0

Click to view attachment

911 column and 914/4 column side by side:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My dash before the operation:

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
We then removed the original mount and the end bracket from the 911 column and added our own mounting tabs.

The location of the mounting tabs was determined by aligning the 911 column and switch with the dash and then marking the spots on the column.

Mounting Tabs before and after fitting:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Testfitting the tabs:

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
The hole where the 911 switch passes through to meet with the column had to be enlarged a bit as i'm using a later model switch on an early column.

Click to view attachment

For the same reason, the lock part of the switch needed a little "adjusting" to work correctly with the column.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Testfitting the assembly:

Note that i used a piece of the original 911 dash to fab a mount for the 911 switch where it meets the 914 dash face.
I riveted the sheetmetal mount to the 914 dash and secured the switch with two bolts. Worked great.

SirAndy
And finally putting it all back together.
The key lock actually is almost dead on in the same spot as the factory hole for the foglight switch!

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Once i'm done waking up, i'll take a picture of the whole thing all cleaned up and nice ...

Need ... More .... Coffee ...
beer3.gif Andy
SirAndy
Don't mind the wiring mess on the floor biggrin.gif

And i still have to install the black plastic surround for the switch.
rick 918-S
Very cool sir. I wanted to add a link to Clay's post about his conversion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82045
jaxdream
QUOTE(type47fan @ Mar 21 2008, 08:13 PM) *

. . . . examples of the real thing . . . .

I've been looking for the smaller plastic escutcheon ring like the one pictured here on the ignition switch, I know the larger ones can be had , but I like the smaller one here. Are these available from some vendor source or is this a lucky if you can find one period , much less at a reasonable price??
This topic is something I have been collecting parts for , this switch ring is a major factor as in the finished look . Thanks for any info.

BTW , good job Andy.

Jaxdream
SirAndy
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 11 2009, 08:37 PM) *

This switch ring is a major factor in the finished look.

agree.gif

Mine was pretty scratched and discolored so i decided to turn it down and make it smaller.

I don't have pics here right now, but if you have access to a lathe, you can turn down a bigger ring yourself ...
shades.gif Andy
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 12 2009, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 11 2009, 08:37 PM) *

This switch ring is a major factor in the finished look.

agree.gif

Mine was pretty scratched and discolored so i decided to turn it down and make it smaller.

I don't have pics here right now, but if you have access to a lathe, you can turn down a bigger ring yourself ...
shades.gif Andy

I did exactly the same thing, turned down the big 911 ring for the 914.
jaxdream
Found one on the AA web catalog , haven't ordered yet . The good Dr. lists the piece for $ 4.21-very reasonable , now if he just has it in stock. piratenanner.gif

Yeah , I thought about turning down in a lathe the bigger 911 ring , but I just wanted to see if I could find the smaller ring already done. I'll see if the Doc has one , if not the big ring route.
Thanks guys for the info on this conversion. aktion035.gif

Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.