Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cheap oil temp gauge/sender/plate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete914
So I want to start monitoring my oil temps but my car needs the plate ($$$$$), gauge and sender however, I was quoted at $200 for the kit.
Any way around this? Could I just monitor head temp? I think my engine is running too hot but I have no way to tell.
Cheapo suggestions appreciated
thanks-
dr914@autoatlanta.com
by the time one purchases the factory plate the factory o ring the two copper crush washers the sending unit the finished wire from the sending to the main harness, the new vdo gauge and the two gauge holder, things just get expensive. One could buy the dip stick sender and a motor meter gauge make the gauge holder and the wire, and accomplish the same thing at a much lower price!!!!!!
SLITS
Used "taco plate" assembly with sender .... $40.00

Used center console temp gauge ..... $20.00

Wire ..... $3.00

These are the prices I see on eBay and at swap meets.

So who is pocketing the remaining $137.00?
toon1
QUOTE(pete914 @ Mar 21 2008, 07:26 AM) *

So I want to start monitoring my oil temps but my car needs the plate ($$$$$), gauge and sender however, I was quoted at $200 for the kit.
Any way around this? Could I just monitor head temp? I think my engine is running too hot but I have no way to tell.
Cheapo suggestions appreciated
thanks-

If you are only able to afford 1 gauge , get a CHT gauge. The CHT is more indicative of how the engine is functioning. oil temp is good( all good gauges are good to have) BUT is limited to what it is telling you. Your head temps may be way up and only see a small variance in oil temp.

If you add another gauge later, add an O.P. gauge along with your CHT gauge.

Then, if you are going to monitor another temp. of the engine, add a coolant gauge!

I'm Kidding! too much coffe this am biggrin.gif

Keith
r_towle
try this.

http://www.mainelycustombydesign.com/engine_components.html

McMark
agree.gif You can get the factory bits for less than $200 by far.
jcd914
being a CSOB, I used a stock Oil Temp Gauge and sender out of an Audi 4000. Cost $0 (parts cars I already had) The 4000 temp sensor is small, so I just drilled and tapped the existing plate, installed with so sealant and gently tightened it. It never leaked for me.

JIm
pete914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 21 2008, 03:17 PM) *

being a CSOB, I used a stock Oil Temp Gauge and sender out of an Audi 4000. Cost $0 (parts cars I already had) The 4000 temp sensor is small, so I just drilled and tapped the existing plate, installed with so sealant and gently tightened it. It never leaked for me.

JIm

So cool.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. beerchug.gif
I just did a couple of searches for CHT setups. Can't seem to find anything besides the ones for the FI...I'm under the understanding this sends more of an on/off signal than a graduated reading though. Correct?
toon1
Your looking for a CHT gauge. The CHTS is for the FI. it sensd a reading the the FI brain for w/u enrichment.

Dakota digital makes one of the best CHT gauges, there pricey but good.

Check out summit racing online for one or go to dakota digital's site.
drive-ability
Bear with me here,
I have a few of these units however I remove the steel tube and carefully lengthen the wires so I can take temp readings on surfaces or liquids. I gutted a intake water temp sensor removing the epoxy etc and installed this temp sender in it place using quick set epoxy. They are real accurate and react fast. The battery's last for months if you remember to turn them off. You can use one of these and some wire and get a good reading for less than 10 dollars. Don't laugh they work great! I used them to evaluate my inner coolers and other coolers on lots of projects..

Link
dug
<HIJACK>

On the topic of CHT gauges and how they show what your engine is doing...

I had a CHT on my first 2.0. It was really cool to watch the temp fluctuations. The most obvious was on a medium to steep grade. If you left the car in fifth, you could watch the CHT rise 50-100 degrees in only a few seconds. However, if you went to fourth, the increased fan speed would completely counter act this behavior.

The super tall (ZD) fifth gear on the 4 bangers is designed for maximum fuel economy and using it to pull up hill, even though the engine will do it, is not good for it. Use 4th to accelerate hard or go uphill (unless you're already doing 90mph)! smile.gif In case you need convincing, the 914-6, with more power from the factory, came with a lower 5th gear (ZA).

</HIJACK>

cheers,
dug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.