Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydraulic Clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
Anyone done it? If so is it adviseable? How hard/expensive is it to do? I have a 915 sideshift transmission and was curious as to the performance/feel differences between hydraulic and cable clutches.
madd_dogg_914
I have seen quite a few threads on this subject. Do a quick search and you will see some nice write ups. If I recall correctly Brad is developing some sort of hydralic clutch package for the 914 (but then again what ISN'T Brad cuurently developing for the 914)

-Chris
Brad Roberts
Unless you can weld/fab at home.. it wont be an option for you. It is no easy task.

B
East coaster
I checked the links to previous threads in this post and they're very informative. I seem to remember investigating this before and someone mentioning a different pedal cluster which included a clutch return spring. Am I having halucinations or is this something you have to address when you convert to hydro??????? confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
We just bled another system last night. Stock 914 pedal assembly and a Tilton master/Neal slave setup. It doesnt need a return spring. Works great.

B
East coaster
Cool....one less part I need to acquire!! Thanks Brad pray.gif
Brad Roberts
I can show you later how we do it (brackets and all). You should be able to set it up on a 915 for under 400$ (depending on whether or not you weld it all in and fab the brackets).

b
type47
VW Vanagon has a hyd. clutch, bet you could use that and fab some parts to apply to 914
stock93
Let me know if you guys need some pictures of the vanagon hydraulic setup. I'm probably going to use the one I have on my rail and I doubt you could use it easily on a 914.

John
airsix
Hooking the slave cyl. up to the tranny and running the lines in the tunnel are real easy. It's mounting the master cyl. that's a pain. Where you need to mount the MC, the pan is at about a 45 degree angle and you need it to be more verticle. Also, there is very little room behind the suspension crossmember. I like the idea of using tilton pedals beause the master cyl would be in the pedalbox instead of being wedged in that little spot between the pan and the crossmember.

For the record, I love my hydraulic clutch, but it was a lot of work.

-Ben M.
Gary
Rich Johnson has one on his machine. I think he has a kit too. It uses a 944 slave. I don't recall what the MC is. His is outfitted on a sideshift 914 tranny. There's a not great picture at: Rich Johnson's 914

Gary
jridder
I got a Wilwood clutch and master cylinder. The clutch is a 7/8" and the master cylinder is 3/4". Their largest compact master cylinder is 3/4" so hopefully I can get enough throw with it. The master cylinder has 1.4" of throw which will give me about 1" of throw at the clutch.

If this has no chance of working, let me know. Otherwise, I'll document my installation when I get to it (after finishing the installation of my fuel tank, new fuel lines and fuel injection system on my V8).

Jonathan
L8Apex
in order to put a hydro clutch in the car, we need to use a pull type slave cylinder or a pull?
Brad Roberts
Rich Johnson sells a kit from Wes Hildreth. The price is 1200$ It uses some stock 928 parts.

The slave has to pull Terrance.

B
L8Apex
Brad, thanks. I knew it was a pull, but I was confused when I looked at Rich's site and it said

"This is the push-type slave that actuates the pressure plate / clutch sytem used with the 3.0L flywheel. Note the SS line and the slave cylinder's free-play adjustment system. "

confused24.gif

BTW, I'm going six.
Brad Roberts
The converted Rich's car to a pull type pressure plate..(I have no idea why)..

B
sechszylinder
hi folks,

concerning the master cylinder, i think the 911 87' (g50 transmission) provides a very small one,
which would fit very nicely into our cars.

benno
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.