Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsoin bar adjustment - no adjustment left
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I want to lower the front end of my car about an inch on the passenger side and ¾ of an inch on the driver’s side (driver’s side is already ¼ lower measured using a T-square in a level garage). My A-arms are not close to being parallel to the ground so I think I have some room. I intend to get the car aligned after this procedure.

I went to turn the adjuster screw on the passenger side and it is already turned all the way so that the cap touches the top of the A-arm assembly. I’m assuming that if I want to lower the car further, I need to remove the cap and put it back on a few degrees clockwise of where it is now, and do the opposite for the driver’s side.

If I jack the car up and get the wheel off the ground, will there be tension on the torsion bar as I remove the cap? I just picture the cap going flying once it’s pried off. I searched the forum but couldn’t find an answer to this question.
sww914
If the car's jacked up there isn't any tension on the cap. Just take the bolt out and pry/wiggle the cap off, move it down 1 spline and put the bolt back in. I try do do a bit of wiggling of the cap rather than just brute force prying so that only the cap comes off instead of pulling the whole torsion bar out.
elmonte
There will be NO tension on the bar if the wheel is off the ground. Moving the adjuster a couple of splines will get you where you want to be

Cheers

Always day late dollar short sww914 said it all
Cevan
Thanks for the reply. I'll try and post some pictures for future reference.
Spoke
If you have a front sway bar it may keep tension on the lifted torsion bar. In this case you would need to disconnect the sway bar at one point or lift both wheels.
brant
don't forget to do another alignment on the car when you get the ride height finalized and where you want it.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cevan @ Mar 21 2008, 03:43 PM) *

I want to lower the front end of my car about an inch on the passenger side and ¾ of an inch on the driver’s side (driver’s side is already ¼ lower measured using a T-square in a level garage). My A-arms are not close to being parallel to the ground so I think I have some room. I intend to get the car aligned after this procedure.

I went to turn the adjuster screw on the passenger side and it is already turned all the way so that the cap touches the top of the A-arm assembly. I’m assuming that if I want to lower the car further, I need to remove the cap and put it back on a few degrees clockwise of where it is now, and do the opposite for the driver’s side.

If I jack the car up and get the wheel off the ground, will there be tension on the torsion bar as I remove the cap? I just picture the cap going flying once it’s pried off. I searched the forum but couldn’t find an answer to this question.

You jack up the car.
Support it from the front donuts, not the suspension.
Take out the adjuster bolt all the way.
Now, either the cap will come off, or the whole bar will come out.
Eitherway, just turn it and push it back in, or on.

I will be out there sunday if you need a hand. I will be dropping off my kids as Umass.

Rich
Jeffs9146
It is a very simple job and should take you longer to set the car up on Jackstands than to move the cap a few splines!
Eric_Shea
Reindex as everyone mentions... fairly easy once you understand the concept.
JPB
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif How low does it look?
Cevan
Easy as pie! I figured I post a couple of pictures. As you can see, the torsion bar came out with the cap. Mine came out with almost no effort. The bushing beneath literally crumbled apart. I will make some replacment ones to keep the elements out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Gint
Those "bushings" are just foam circles as large as the adjuster cap in circumference and about 1/4" thick with a hole in the middle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.