Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fog lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
changed bumpers, went from square fogs to pilots, before making change I contacted wires to new fogs they worked, put it all together now nothing?
Cant tell where its shorting, anyone ever have this?
Spoke
Sounds like a connection somewhere. Get your voltmeter and measure voltage either at the socket or nearest connector. At the source you have 12V and at the lights, 0. Work your way either from the source, or from the lights, and measure voltages. Check connectors again, oxidized connectors look good but don't conduct.

Clean connectors with wet/dry sandpaper 600g or higher, tiny file if you have one. Spray with contact cleaner to remove debris. reconnect.
mattp
thats where it gets weird! I have power coming off the relay board, but then nothing coming out of switch? PO put a twenty amp fuse in line between relay board and switch?
tried jumping switch, connected hot to two other wires from switch, whole car shorted out and went dim?
Spoke
Makes sense that the whole car shorted and went dim. One of the terminals on the fog switch is the ground connection for the little light in the switch. One terminal powers the relay, and the other is the 12V feed from the ignition switch. With ignition on, the power to the fog light switch is directly from the battery with no fuse in the line. Dead short for sure.

The fog switch should have 12V on terminal 15. Terminal 31 is ground, and Terminal K is the switched 12V. Should be 0V with switch off, and 12V when fog switch is on AND ignition switch is on.

If 12V on Terminal K, you should have 12V on Terminal 85 of the relay should be 12V also. Terminal 30 on the relay is 12V feed for lights. Terminal 87 on the relay is 12V switched to lights.
mattp
I no longer have the cover tot he relay board,!
I woulnd up rewiring for the fogs with the wires that came with it and using the switch in kit it works fine, Can't get it to work with switch in dash, thinking it might have burned out/gone bad?
Spoke
You can test the dash switch with the ohmmeter across terminals 15 and K. Infinite ohms when off, zero ohms or so when on.
mattp
thanks, I get nothing on any of the terminals,I tried 15 and K meter did not move wether it was on or off?
Dead switch?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.