Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Guage Sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
I have a recurring problem with the float in my sender getting stuck at the 1/4 guage level. I have read all the articles about cleaning the sender and have removed and disassembled this one many many times. But I can't find anything visually wrong with it.

Yet once I get the float "unstuck" it works fine all the way till the tank is empty. But when I fill the tank up, the float gets stuck again. On the bright side; as I use up the gas and the level comes down, the float gets "unstuck" and provides accurate readings from 1/4 to empty (even the reserve light works), but will never go all the way to the top when the tank is full (unless I pull the sender apart again).

The wires look clean and straight. When apart, the sender provides good readings on the voltmeter (~75-5 ohms).

1st Question: Any secrets or clues on how to clean that I am missing?

2nd Question: Can the sender be used without the metal tube? I am asking cause I am thinking that perhaps the float is getting wedged against the tube (somehow). I assume that the purpose of the tube is to fill up with gas and provide some buffer against fuel slosh (thus providing more consistant reading while driving).

Any thoughts before I toss this one and buy a (peresh the thought) NEW sender?

thanks all

beer.gif
TINCAN914
I have the same problem. I have also taken mine apart a few times, and was wondering if it can be used without the cylinder. Feedback from anyone would be appreciated by me as well.
Thanks for posting the question.
drive-ability
My guess is it may work but move(gage needle) around allot more as the gas splashes about
Spoke
agree.gif

Without the cylinder the sloshing fuel will cause the float to jump up and down causing the needle to do the same.

The hang-up is 2 things: the wires could be rough or kinked. Use emery cloth and gently clean the pick-up wires. The other thing is the center post. It must be clean and smooth. The float rubs on the center post as it goes up and down and can get stuck on the smallest of burrs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.