Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't get 2nd and 4th gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
All gears worked fine prior to removing the motor and transaxle. I did not touch the RennShifter or the front shifter rod. Now, I have reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th, but no 2nd or 4th.

It seems life I need to adjust the front shifter rod where it attaches to the Rennshifter as it seems like it's not pulling the shifter rod forward enough. Maybe the motor/trans sit a fraction of an inch further back than before. There must be a little play in the engine carrier to car mount.

The cone screws were in excellent condition. Everything is tight. Am I correct that there is no adjustment at either end of the the rear shifter rod?

Am I on the right track?
r_towle
There is alot of play in how you mount the motor.
Two choices.

Either loosen the motor and tranny mounts and slide the motor forward, or adjust the shifter.

I always make sure the motor is square to the firewall. That makes shifting work better, and you can easily mount the motor out of square.

If you want to just do the shifter, loosen the bolt behind the shifter (13mm) and slide the collar forward on the shifter rod.

The best way that I have found to do this (I am assuming you have a side shifter) is to access the shifter rod from the rear access hole under the middle seat cushion and hold it still with a pair of vise grips.
Then loosen the nut and slide pull the shifter handle towards the rear of the car very slightly...it will slide the connector up the rod...then tighten and try it.

I drive around with these two tools and you can do the adjustment on the side of the road. This is the way I get it perfect...it takes a few trys to get it just right after you pull the motor and re-install.

Rich
Cevan
Thanks for the reply. The motor is in square so it looks like I'll be taking out the center console.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.