Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Gauge & Sender Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
My fuel gauge has worked once headbang.gif before, but not at the moment.
The sender has been taken apart a and cleaned, seems to slide just fine, I can hear it when I turn the under upside down.

I looked at the wiring schematic and it appears there are three wires coming from the sender plug, Green, Black and Brown. I spliced in new wires and hooked them in the back of the gauge, nothing. Checked the fuse, all good, an suggestions on what I might be missing? I would really like to get this figured out, this is the last piece to my electrical puzzle... mad.gif
Thanks in advance.
Dave_Darling
Measure the resistance from the green to the brown wire as the sender moves from the top to the bottom. (I think it's the green one.) It should vary from close to zero up to something like 60 ohms. If it doesn't, then the sender is bad. If it does, then something in the wiring or the gauge is bad.

Do the same check at the end of the green wire that plugs into the gauge. Resistance from there to ground should change the same as just the sender. If it does, the problem is in the gauge. If it doesn't, the problem is in the wiring.

...You can even find a ~100 ohm potentiometer (a resistor with a knob that changes its resistance) so you can change the reading of the gauge without the sender at all. Hook up +12V and ground to the gauge, then a wire from the "G" terminal on the gauge, to the potentiometer, and from the pot to ground. The gauge should move as you change the resistance of the pot.

--DD
TINCAN914
Thanks Dave... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.