Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window Sticking Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WizPorsche914
I have a question.... When im in the car and roll the drivers side window all the way up its VERY hard to open the door. Is it definitely the Long ??????? B/c I have a bad door gap on that side which the door sticks out like an eight of an inch. Plus a little door post rust. And the door handle when its closed is at a very slight angle.
SGB
Could you show a pic?
IIRC, the major adkustment for the door is just one bolt (maybe allen head, I cant remember) under the bottom of the open door pretty close to the back. It loosens and then you can manipulate it around to vary the rear track of the window and move the top rear edge in and out.
WizPorsche914
Yeah I will take a picture tommrow.
ericread
I have had a similar problem with my DS window. I thougt - worst case it was a long. Potential major bummer. Last weekend I pulled the rockers and found some rust under the jack holes, but no serious intrusion into the longs. My problem seems to be the window has loosened, and when I drive, the window moves a bit back, making the door difficult to open. If I lower the window, the door opens OK. I am planning to remove the door panels tomorrow and fix this. Anyway, you should probably remove the rockers and attack the longs with a screwdriver. Better to know now than drive an unsafe car.

My 2 cents.
SirAndy
it sounds like it's not the window, but the door itself ...

it's either the car sagging (longs rusted) or the door was bent upwards ...

if it's just the door, the easy fix is to open it all the way, roll down the window and SLOWLY press down on the end of the door. this will bent the hinges back to where they belong ...
if you bend it too far down, grab the rear bottom of the door and SLOWLY lift it up.

repeat until the door fits perfectly ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: if it's rusted longs, buy a welder and report back ... welder.gif
WizPorsche914
Here is a pic sorry it took so long.

IPB Image
r_towle
There is alot to this.

Roll window down, close door tight.
Watch how the front triangular window hits and possibly moves the windshield surround.
This will show you how much you can adjust.
Looks like your top hinge needs to be moved towards the middle of the car. Loosen the bolts, move it just a little bit, tighten and try it again.

Window channel angle can be moved by using the bottom of the post that holds up the triangular window...look on the bottom of the door there is a screw/nut adjuster.
This only moves the angle in and out...not front to back.

The rear of the window does react when you change the front angle.
The rubber on the targa bar that you are catching on also can be moved...
Remove the rubber with a screw driver, use a large flat blade and pry out the top edge of the rubber and take it out.
There are little screws in slotted holes that allow you to move that chrome trim to get it all to line up.

Rich
Jeffs9146
I was having this problem on an early 70 door and Andy showed me that the front channel in the door has rollers that rust and make it difficult to raise and lower the window. I soked it in PB and it became very easy to move!

What year is your car?
WizPorsche914
Jeffs9146
I don't know when the shift happened but I think the doors changed in very early 72's. You might take a look and see if it has rollers in the front part of the window channel!

$.02
McMark
That wouldn't make the door hard to open, Jeff. wink.gif But it's still a good tip.

I would recommend getting a friend to sit in the car (preferably your weight or heavier) so that you can be outside and try and open the door. You can look at the gaps and see if anything looks really tight.

Is the door easy to open when you're inside and the window's down? It sounds crazy, but the wrong screw at the inner door handle will stop it from working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.