Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SUbaru conversion or
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I'm looking down the road a bit( kinda funny considering my engine is not even running yet, but hey, WTF.gif )

I really like the progress of the subie coneversions. they look real interesitng and intruging.

The other option is the super 2l. I've been reading on this and I really like it. There not much info on it other than, the bore and the stroke. It does look like Jake will be offering it as a kit. don't know the cost yet.

with the w/c engine it's possible to geasr it really low and spin the engine slower to get good fuel economy.

Jake has said he got 50+ mpg with the super 2l but its' pricey to do this.

The subie conversion is about 4500 -5000

Not sure what the S2L would be.

All thigs being equal. what would you guy's lean tward's?

Keith
LarryR
I think the super 2 would have a better resale value. 914's are going up better than the stock market. I think you might want to go super 2 ... that way in 3 or 4 years you wont be kicking yourself...

If it is purely about bang for the buck today then go for the suby....
charliew
QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 22 2008, 11:03 PM) *

I think the super 2 would have a better resale value. 914's are going up better than the stock market. I think you might want to go super 2 ... that way in 3 or 4 years you wont be kicking yourself...

If it is purely about bang for the buck today then go for the suby....

I have been building cars and trucks for 40 years and never made any profit from any of them. I do it for the fun. Also I've still got most of them. Some guys buy an old tractor, sandblast it, paint it, and make some money. If I had studied commercial realestate and invested my recources there I would be much better off financially.

5000.00 for a 300lb. 250-375 reliabile watercooled hp motor is lots of fun in a 2000lb. car. I grew up in vws and liked making them run better until my 1500, hydralick isky cammed vw got passed by a new 72 toyota at 100 mph. My 1500 would stay with a super 90 porsche except for his 3rd gear. Vws are great as long as you just want to tinker. When you start building them they need complete re-engineering. Just like drag motor Harley Davidsons.

I'm sure Jake builds a great motor and if I had unlimited resources I would try one in something.

Like me porsche fanatics are getting old. New 914 owners are used to more overall performance from the other cars they drive.

I also had airconditioning on the first vw, the belt squalled a little when it cycled at a 1500 rpm idle, and it will be on a subie 914. Does Jake do air?

Thats what makes hot rodding interesting. All the new car tech, all the new motors, LS1's, nissan, porsche, honda, etc, sequential trannys, new alloys, new fuels, autospeed, and the web, ain't it great?

Probably about the time I get my 914 subie built there will be a turbo subie 6 with a sequential 6 spd. available.

Charliew
plymouth37
You already know my answer to this question!

sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif Better start cutting! sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
toon1
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Mar 23 2008, 08:59 AM) *

You all know how I feel about this question!

sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif Better start cutting! sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Actually , I don't! biggrin.gif does that mean, go subie?
charliew
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Mar 23 2008, 09:59 AM) *

You already know my answer to this question!

Man that tail dragger brought the first laugh today. That is neat, I musta watched it 8 times. I think he might be having more fun but is embaresssed by his times. He could always switch to drifting.
Charliew

plymouth37
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 23 2008, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Mar 23 2008, 08:59 AM) *

You all know how I feel about this question!

Actually , I don't! biggrin.gif does that mean, go subie?

Damn Straight!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.