Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Was Easter progress; now Carbs are done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
Well, after the inside easter egg hunt for my daughter, it was snowing outside, and after we let her play a bit in the snow, I finally did some more work on the car.

I pulled and cleaned up the fuel sending unit; hopefully that is the problem to the gauge doing the whole jumping to full then back to empty deal. Overall the unit was in good condition; also took the time to clean the leads that the cable plugs into.
IPB Image

I also pulled the carbs since I got in the rebuild kits. Talk about a PITA! The left side one wasn't too difficult, tight but not overly challenging. The right side however, was a bit of a pain as the fuel pump is also there and made manuevering a bit challenging. The tin was also bent up a bit and I had to push it down in order to get a socket on the dang nut.

I will have to get a new intake manifold to carb body gasket as they are toast and the kit did not come with a gasket. I am guessing that I will more than likely have to buy some gasket material and make one. I cleaned most of the jets on the right side carb but plan on taking it into the shop on Tuesday to use the solvent tank to finish it up. Pulled all the delicate internals out like the float so I wouldn't lose or damage them.

Overall the carbs are dirty but no major issues mechanically and the floats so far are in good condition and, I believe I solved the mystery tubes. As I read through the Dellorto tech manual I came across this little tidbit of info, "Dual single throat carburetors such as the Dellorto FRD's....run a lot better at slow engine speeds when a balance tube is installed between the manifolds."

Well damn, I bet that is what those tubes are for! So why the hell didn't the PO have them connected? Instead, he had a bolt stuck in the end of each tube! As somone mentioned earlier when I posted the intitial eval and pics, VACUUM LEAK!! Guess I will be fixing that. I think I need new filters though, they are kinda rough. Hope to get them cleaned up and back on the car by the end of this week. Also having a hell of a time finding the right size fuel lines that go between the tank to the main lines. I really miss NAPA parts. Here are a couple of pictures.

IPB Image

IPB Image
stephenaki
OK, got the carbs cleaned, rebuilt and put together. I was able to find a place in Dotternhausen called Boxter Motors that had the parts I needed to include gasket material. Will put the carbs back in tomorrow along with clean up the fuel tank area and put that back in. Hope to fire her up Sunday.

IPB Image

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/s...14/CIMG2033.jpg

IPB Image
pete914
how do you like the single throats? hows your MPG? I was really considering these. are those air corrections jets on your manifolds or vaccum advance ports?
Look nice though. Hope you get her running. weather is warming up aktion035.gif
stephenaki
QUOTE(pete914 @ Mar 28 2008, 12:29 PM) *

how do you like the single throats? hows your MPG? I was really considering these. are those air corrections jets on your manifolds or vaccum advance ports?
Look nice though. Hope you get her running. weather is warming up aktion035.gif

Haven't really been able to gauge MPG as the odometer wasn't working and neither was the fuel gauge when it was running. I need to pre-tune the carbs before I install them then balance them once I get the tank back in.

The "jets" are actually for running a balance line between each carb, it, "allows equalization of pressures and provides a balancing effect during idle and mid range RPM." Direct qoute from the Dellorto tech manual. The PO had lines from each carb but, had a bolt stuck into the end of each line instead of having the line run between the carbs.

Since I did some maintenance on the fuel gauge and plan to get the odomoter working again I will have to let you know how MPGs turn out at a later date. I do recall going about 120 km and only puttin in about 20 liters of fuel before taking off again back in Italy. The rest of the story is a long and sad tale that I won't recount here.

If you do a search on "steve's heinous adventure" you can get, "the rest of the story."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.