Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you pay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
There is a local car for sale. The owner posted it for sale @ $19,000. He didn't really know what he had.
I went to look at it and found the following;
The bad
broken back, pushed my fingers into the frame on the driver side too
floor rotten
sale panels rotten
rear trunk - some rust
front trunk - some rust
steel wheels - 4 flat rotten tires
cracked dash
1 broken tail light
car hasn't run in 15 years
engine parts in trunk from repairs - 1 cylinder, piston and head (looked like a dropped valve)
the chassis is gone, I won't repair another one like this

The good
2.0 engine - hasn't run in 15 years - mileage 50K??? odometer reading
good glass
good interior but fear 35 year old vinyl will split once it is sat on.
center console
good front and rear hoods
good targa
fair rubber seals (better than some of mine)
fair trim pieces
good rubber bumper covers
good door hardware

I told the guy he'd be lucky to get $1500-$1900 for it but was thinking of making him an offer.
What do you think?
porschecb
What did he say when you told him what it is worth?
boxstr
Not a big market for the 75 BBB.
911quest
I view parts cars like this they are only worth the value of there powertrain all the other parts are profit......500.00 cash take it or leave it
John
The last time I bought a parts car, we ended up with (2) cars for $500 cash.

One had a 2.0 and a trans. We dipped one tub and it's still on my rotisserie, the other tub was junk. The garbage man took it one pile of rust at a time.

I won't give more than $300 for a parts car 914.
rick 918-S
You don't have less the 500 on your pole.
914Sixer
Parts car.
swl
Given the cost of shipping parts to your area I figure it might be worth as much as a grand but absolutely no more. Any more than that then it has to be restorable. The 1.7 I picked up last summer in Ohio has a great interior, solid frame, running engine and minimal rust for $2500

$20 grand? - geez the guy is suffering from cabin fever big time!
balljoint
Just make sure he tells you who he sold it to. Then go sell parts to that poor fellow. I think your max is $500. Especially considering the exchange discount from the US now.

Root_Werks
Craig is right, not much call for BUB 914's. Everything is heavier and different. Sounds like a car that should be donated to others for parts. No cash changing hands for anything. Just my opinion.
SirAndy
QUOTE(John @ Mar 23 2008, 05:22 PM) *

One had a 2.0 and a trans. We dipped one tub and it's still on my rotisserie, the other tub was junk. The garbage man took it one pile of rust at a time.

and they are not in our VIN database because ... ? poke.gif

bye1.gif Andy
John
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 24 2008, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(John @ Mar 23 2008, 05:22 PM) *

and they are not in our VIN database because ... ? poke.gif

bye1.gif Andy

The surviving tub IS in the database.

The rusty tub was so rusty......
?How rusty was it?

It was so rusty, that the VIN rusted off!

(actually it was destroyed prior to the database creation, and I kept no record)
Twise
I would offer to dispose of it for him. Maybe $150 - because you may benefit from taking it. Just be honest and tell him the truth - if he believes you fine, if not - oh well...
cantley914
Doug,

As per the last time we spoke, there is still a yellow 75 2.0L sitting outside/uncovered in a backyard in Gatineau, Qc rusted and still rusting away.
The guy wants 1500.00$ Cnd for it and I figure it is still too much.
I`m waiting until he decides to let it go for under 1000.00$ to go and get it.

Unless it had beautiful seats, uncracked dash, excellent chrome, 5 Fuchs, etc... don`t go over 1000.00$

Good luck and send me pics of the Newly white one !!!

Steph
rhodyguy
you had better need that $500 in parts. big stuff is a pain to sell with high shipping costs. i've walked away from cars like that @ 500. not worth the bother. don't even low ball the owner, he'll just get pissed off. leave your name and number for him to get back to you.
Ferg
This car was offered to me for free... call me lazy, but I turned it down, my time was not worth the hassle of a tub disposal after I pulled a core 1.7, a tailshift and some trim ect...

Ferg
tracks914
Thanks all for replying to the survey. Here is the rest of the story.
I have known the seller for 40 years. He came to my 3rd grade birthday party. I haven't seen him much in the last 30 years but he still lives in the same city.The car was bought for his older sister in '75. She has been the only owner. The car has 42,000 miles. It was actually the first Porsche I have ever seen as a kid and didn't know they family still had it. I didn't want to rip the guy off and I wanted him to know that he was getting a fair price for the car. I sent him this link so he could read for himself what the car was worth to all of you.
Now what is it worth to me?
I want the 2.0 engine and low mileage tranny. I need all the of rubbers and seals on the car and they are in good shape. The interior will nicely upgrade my DD interior. (it is somewhat better) Everything else on the car only has 42K on it so all the parts are worth a fair bit to me. I will probably store most of them but may see if I can find a buyer for the nice rubber bumper covers. I saw a new 2.0 cylinder head in the front trunk, I might need it but if not, it might sell.
For me to travel to the Toronto area or Ottawa area to pick up a parts car (500-600miles) will cost me about $500 in gas, trailer rental, room for a night and meals. I live 1/2 way between Toronto and James Bay. Not many 914's in this area. I think I now own 3 out of 4 of them.
I offered the guy $1000 for it and he snapped it up. I pick it up (about 10 miles from my home) on Saturday. biggrin.gif
I am happy about the deal and will post pictures on the weekend.
tracks914
Here it is, Phone pix but good enough for now.
tracks914
more
swl
Great buy Doug. The interior looks really nice and if the engine and tranny work out ok you'll be smiling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.