Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original interior light on a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
swm914
A few weeks ago, I put in a "WTB" in the classifieds for an original Hella interior back pad light in good to excellent condition. I paid a good price for one that the seller said met the description. Unfortunately, when it came, it wasn't what I wanted. It truly was in very good condition but it wasn't the right shape and I didn't see Hella or Germany on it. As you can see by the picture, unlike the rounded oval shape I thought I'd get, it is more rectangular. I has a white actuator but is without the chrome trim. It has the Audi and VW symbols and a lettering of "ZBA 947 105 A"

I asked him what model year it came from and he said a '71. Mine is a '74. I didn't say anything to him because I figured it was my fault for not asking for a picture. So, I'm trying to figure out what this is. If he truly took it out of a '71, perhaps it was put in by a PO and is not accurate for a 914? Or, was this the style in '71. Where there multiple styles?

Any feedback would be appreciated. What is this? I'm still looking for what I thought I was getting with this. Any leads on finding one would be appreciated as well.

Steve
davep
Not 914, might be Audi, and similar to a 911 light.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(swm914 @ Mar 24 2008, 05:12 PM) *

A few weeks ago, I put in a "WTB" in the classifieds for an original Hella interior back pad light in good to excellent condition. I paid a good price for one that the seller said met the description. Unfortunately, when it came, it wasn't what I wanted. It truly was in very good condition but it wasn't the right shape and I didn't see Hella or Germany on it. As you can see by the picture, unlike the rounded oval shape I thought I'd get, it is more rectangular. I has a white actuator but is without the chrome trim. It has the Audi and VW symbols and a lettering of "ZBA 947 105 A"

I asked him what model year it came from and he said a '71. Mine is a '74. I didn't say anything to him because I figured it was my fault for not asking for a picture. So, I'm trying to figure out what this is. If he truly took it out of a '71, perhaps it was put in by a PO and is not accurate for a 914? Or, was this the style in '71. Where there multiple styles?

Any feedback would be appreciated. What is this? I'm still looking for what I thought I was getting with this. Any leads on finding one would be appreciated as well.

Steve

It looks very much like the VW part that is prevelant on eBay for 9.95 plus handling.

There's really nothing wrong with it from a utility standpoint. Just doesn't have the chrome trim on the edges. Works just as well & about a fifth of the price for a proper one.

Try to find an original one without a crack (unless it's new). Unless you're a cw, I'd live with it until the right one comes along.
Pat
swm914
Pat, the repro one on ebay is what I have now and it is shaped like the original even though it doesn't have the original detail. This thing is regtangular, a tad more robust and the contacts in the back have a different angle on the one side than the repo I have. I think the first reply I got may be right in that this thing was never on a 914, at least not originally as I was told. Thanks
Steve
championgt1
Almost looks identical to a trunk light out of a 924/early944. Maybe the reason for the Audi/Volkswagen symbols. confused24.gif
John
My repro looks on the outside almost identical to the original (but broken) part. However, there are a couple slight differences.

The plastic switch on the repro is a different color. (One is black and the other is white, but I can't recall which is which right now.) The other difference between the repro and the original is in the way the light snaps (or is supposed to snap) into the backpad. The original light has the correct location of the tab that holds it in place, while the repro unit never fully snaps into place. (which is why I went back to my broken original)

Too bad nobody makes an EXACT repro unit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.