Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original 914 owners only!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
We, original owners have really aged. I bought my 72 when I was 25. Now I'm 61 - scares the crap out of me!

So, at what point will we parts with our youth? I figure I have at least 15 more years with mine, but beyond that.....? No kids, no grandkids.

I WILL reach the time that I'm no longer safe behind the wheel of such an antiquated vehicle, but I am perplexed! Yeah, the wife tha has supported me throughout this "trip" loves the car too. But, after six months beyond me demise (assuming I go first), what happens with the car that has been basically a child to us?

Have lotsa nephews & nieces, but they would only sell it & cash in (love them all, and I would probably do the same, but it bothers me).

So...how do the rest of the original owners fell? What are your plans?

I've said it myself - "I'll drive it till I drop", but I wonder if that will really happen. I figure, as I age, I'll drive it more imfrequently. Parts will fail. Fuel lines will break, etc. So, will I be left with a halfway decent icon sitting in the garage when I croak? Or, should I sell it in the next 10 years. Hmmmm!
Pat
SirAndy
retire to the caribbean, get a nice big poster of your 914 and pin it on the wall of your beachfront property. then, while sitting on your porch drinking Piña Colada and watching the perfect sunset over the ocean, you and your wife can swap 914 stories and think about the good old days ...

well, that's how i see my retirement anyways, your mileage may vary ...
biggrin.gif Andy
swl
Damn Pat, that's a depressing thought. Fits right in with the freaking snow that is falling tonight. Must admit that I have some similar thoughts - how much longer do I want to be lieing on my back swearing at frozen bolts.

I'm a couple years your junior and not really an original owner since I bought it used. I'm also the antithesis of you in that I have not taken proper care of the car and it is now punishing me for it. That said ...

From all I have read about you and your car it is a pretty special machine. A solid example of a little piece of history. When you decide to move on maybe you should interview prospective buyers the way dog kennels tend to interview perspective buyers. Find someone who has the skill, financial position, and dedication to ensure that it does not fall into the hands of a soon to be DAPO. If you do that then you can sit on that porch knowing that the car is ok. Heck - you can even bring your cronnies over, log in to 914world and say - 'that was my car - I brought it through the first 45 years completely intact.'
dw914er
pat, if you do sell it, sell it to someone who understands and appreciates the car.

if you get rid of it to family, make sure they do the same thing.

With classic cars, once it is typically sold, the car just tends to move through owners, and the reason why the car was so nice in the first place tends to be lost after each sell.

so, make sure the next owner can take care of it, and keep it the way the car should be. Its history, and originality for its age should be treasured.

Btw, if you ever do sell it, let us on the 914world know whenever, becasue everone here knows the work and the care that has kept the car the way it is since you have owned it.
john grier
Not an original owner, But I always get a thrill by just looking out there and seeing it. Whether I drive it or not it is still a thing of beauty.
cuca914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 25 2008, 04:46 PM) *
retire to the caribbean, get a nice big poster of take your 914 and pin it on the wall of your beachfront property. then, while sitting on your porch drinking Piña Colada and watching the perfect sunset over the ocean, you and your wife can swap 914 stories and think about the good old days ...

biggrin.gif

edit - maybe we can start a 914 museum and you can be the first to donate to it! I'm sure there are plenty of people from this board that would take good care of it! wink.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Mar 25 2008, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 25 2008, 04:46 PM) *
retire to the caribbean, get a nice big poster of take your 914 and pin it on the wall of your beachfront property. then, while sitting on your porch drinking Piña Colada and watching the perfect sunset over the ocean, you and your wife can swap 914 stories and think about the good old days ...

biggrin.gif

edit - maybe we can start a 914 museum and you can be the first to donate to it! I'm sure there are plenty of people from this board that would take good care of it! wink.gif

Thats what I was thinking.
JeffBowlsby
Not an original owner, but my plan if I have the choice, is to get out of 914s when the time is right. I will know, we all will know, when that time is.

I will find someone who will be an appreciative younger owner and transition it to them. Sell it or give it away. Its the only way to respect these cars.
Pat Garvey
Ok, let's stop right here! I was merely posing the question. Not for now, but 15-20 years down the road - that's all. My 914 is nowhere near being sold! End of that story. '73 T IS, but that's not part of this thread.

I'm NOT retiring to the "bean" - could have done that 5 years ago. My mother is 95 & I want to beat her whenever she stops - think Vodka does a lot for longevity.

I was posing the question for others. What are your plans? I've planned everything for 40 years, yet I've never been able to plan for my 914 leaving my life. It WILL happen some day, but not before I get mt creamsickle!!!!!!

Yeah, I have to have a creamsickle. Original sixes have bypassed me - but THAT, also, is another story.

Am I the only neo-codger that has given this consideration? How do you part with something (and it is inevitable) that has been such a central part of your life for so many years? Can it be done? Or, do you just croak with the metal & memories & let the heirs sort it out?

No, I'm not sick - just pensive. I get this way sometimes.
Pat
auerbach
I'll volunteer, provided that I'm still alive in 15 years-- that would make me 71 and my 914 would be 47. I always wanted to marry someone 25 - 30 years younger than me!
PanelBilly
I sold the 72 I drove in highschool (it was only two years old then) and ended up buying a 73 in my thirties. I've had that one since and just couldn't bear to part with it.

I know some folks are burried in their cars, but the cost of the furneral plot must be huge.

I agree that you should interview buyers and find the right person to take over the ownership. Don't wait until your too old to make a reasonable decision. I actually think that if the car is really important to you, then start the search now. It could take years of talking to pick out a proper buyer. The "right" person will be willing to wait for the time to come when they will take over the title.

Hey, I think I'm talking to myself here.
jonferns
I think it should definetly be figured out before your time is up, so you can make the right decision about the fate of your 914, and not leave it up to someone else.
orthobiz
Has no one come out yet and said "Hey Pat, leave it to ME????"

Paul

Pat Garvey
I find this interesting.

I posed a question to original onwners....yet I haven't heard a response from any. Am I the last?

I know better than that. Speak out!
Pat
ps no - my 91 is NOT available - talk to me on 15 years, if you're still around.
GeorgeRud
I always figured that I'd pass the cars along to my two kids, but they are not into these old cars like I am. Probably, when it's time to pass them along, I'd try to sell them to an enthusiast who will keep them and enjoy them. I've had old college roomates that are enthusiasts, but they're going to have the same age issues as me. I just enjoy tinkering with them as much as driving them, so they provide a great form of relaxation for me. However, Route 67 from Elkhart Lake to Fontana, Wisconsin on a Sunday evening after the historic race weekend is about as nice as it gets. No racing around on the roads anymore, just a beautifull evening drive with the top off - of course!

With the prices of 914-6s going up, I may just consider selling the one in the next few years and get something newer to play with. My knees are telling me that a Tiptronic would be nice, and my brain tells me I'd drive a car with AC a whole lot more than one without in the summers here in Chicago.
iamchappy
Pat, I cut sad.gif mine up a few years ago to be an organ donor for the turbo car. I purchased mine in 74 off the show room floor when i graduated High School, I drove it as a daily driver year round for at least 6 years and it sat outside without a garage for most of those years. I tried in vain to keep it nice and it was holding it's own through the early 90's. The years of salt and corrosion ate it from inside out. It may have been restorable by the looks of some of our members projects but i swallowed hard and purchased a nice rust free stripped roller track car from Southern Cal. and transfered all the good stuff into it. I still have many parts from it and they seem to be there when i need them for the turbo car.

I wish i could say i saved it, but restoring the turbo car was enough work as it was.

Here is a picture of it in it's glory!
dw914er
alright, for pat

my mom is the original owner of her car, and i was able to inheritant it. I will try to give it to my son in the future (whenever i have one)

if not, it will go to a person who i know that will care for the car.

a family car is usually abit more special, so keeping it in the immediate family is better.
MoveQik
I have owned my car since the age of 30...not so different from you Pat. I have countless hours of sweat equity and more money than I care to think of into the car. I just hope whom ever gets it drives the piss out of it like I do! Besides Pat, a rust free car as clean as yours would be a perfect candidate for a 6 conversion. Send it my way! I'll post pics of the 3.6 I put in it.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Pat:

I haven't owned mine as long as you,8 yrs. and I'll be 70 this June.

I planed to be buired in it! Lawyer said that would be only proof i was

Crazy!!! So i guess there are these options, 1. sell it , blow it up, or

donate it to CUCA's914 " 914 OLD Codgers Museum" 2. Leave it to my Kids

to sell. Very last on my list is to let my wife have it ," She

will blow it up. Dave slap.gif
dbgriffith75
Just a thought, but if you're sure your nephews & neices would just cash in on the car, why not do it yourself? But instead of selling it to just anybody, sell it to a collector- that way you'd likely get a good price for it and you can ensure it'll at least be taken care of to some extent.

I'm not an original owner, and judging by all the posts in this thread, I'm likely going to get hazed for this, but I've owned my 914 for about a year now. Unfortunately it's not going to last much longer than that as once I'm finished with the car, I'm planning to sell it. My fiancee and I are counting on the $$ to pay for our wedding. The original owner had let the car sit for 10 years - unprotected from the Iowa weather - so for a while now I've been taking care of all the mechanic work on it.

It's the first exotic car I've ever worked on, and it's certainly been a learning experience. The haynes manual I've got is pretty much useless save for the technical specs I've needed so I'm just learning about this thing as I go. It's not the first car I've ever rebuilt but considering that I came into this project with the mindset "Damn foreign cars" smile.gif I've certainly come to appreciate it.

Anyway, sorry for the senseless babble... I do that from time to time...
charliew
Pat I'm 63 and pretty hard headed. I don't take many vacations, only one in 88 and I think one in about 72. Two different families. I have a 40 yr. old son that likes computers and macho trucks. He takes good care of his stuff but is not interested in car building or rebuilding. I do have a 26 yr. old that is a hot rodder/ME that I have helped with a subie sti turbo beast. He likes all the exotics but is pretty frugal. He keeps the women at bay to be able to spend his money as he chooses. I tell him that will change when he finds the right one. I have many auto interest. I just got a pretty clean colo. and wyo. 75 914 1.8 that had the hell hole, motor, and tranny redone in 91 at 50k. It now has 80k on it. I seem to have every reciept ever issued on it. It's unmolested but the last owner was not as good as the first was. Each owner let it go some. It has a dented driver door and I've gotten another door but it is not as pristene as the original so I may just repair it. It's gonna get a wrx subie and tranny with air and all the 911 stuff with steel flares. Lots of work but I think it's manageable as long as health holds out. If my younger son doesn't like it I guess it'll be up to him. This is not my only project there are several, he doesn't think I can manage them all. I think I can. We will see.

I think you have started the search and are in the right place for it to happen.

There are probably quite a few of responsible collectors that will help you out when you are ready.

Charliew
minndodger
Pat,

I am the third owner of my car. The second owner bought it "nearly new". Roger (2nd owner) is in his early 70s and could no longer get in and out of the car. He and his wife do not have children. Roger wanted to "hand pick" the new owner of his baby. So I was interviewed before I could buy the car. I also had to make a handful of promises that went along with the sale such as no carbs, no V8, do not make it a track car. He periodically contacts me to ask about the car. He still refers to the car still as his which I actually appreciate.

What does all this mean, heck I am not sure, but maybe when you get to that point in another 50 years or so you should take the time and find the right caretaker.

Stephen
StratPlayer
I'm also the third owner of this car. The car was orginally sold from Eddy's German Imports out of Stockton, Ca. I have maint. records up till 1980. The car must have been sold and the second owner put SS heat exchangers on the car and the car sat in a garage for a hell of a long time. No rust. I've had the car for about 12 years, made some upgrades, rebuilt the engine, and the car now has a spare engine.

Just wondering how much longer I will keep the car. When I decide to sell it, I'm hoping it goes to a good home and an owner that will take good care of it.
Scott S
Pat,
I'll think your car would be a great start for a chalon/V8 conversion... or at least a quickie respray to yellow or blue. poke.gif

I will have to watch the calssifieds down the road happy11.gif
r_towle
All my cars are for the kids.
Whatever is left that is.
Rich
anderssj
Original owner of an Irish green 72 . . . Youngest son is interested in it, but I'm thinking maybe a viking funeral (Hail Ragnar!)
Joe Owensby
Original owner of 73 signal orange 1.7, now 2056. Just getting it back on road after 2 1/2 year restoration. Plan to keep it and drive it for as long as I am able- hopefully about 15 - 20 more years. By then, maybe it will be worn out, as I assume I will be. This is assuming that parts will still be available to keep us both running that long. JoeO
Johny Blackstain
I don't think of myself as the original owner, even though the BOS says I am. I was 11 the day the old man drove her off the lot & I rode shotgun. In any case, this question has been on my mind a lot lately & I have no idea what I'm going to do- sell her, give her to one of my many 2nd cousins or donate her to a museum. Be nice to rob a cradle & knock up a sweet 20 something yr old & get a bay boy out of her...

rolleyes.gif

av-943.gif smoke.gif
sixnotfour
Here you go ;
70 or 71
Factory delivery, shipped stateside, one owner,
rust has got to to it , rear wheel much camber.
Owner may or may not fix it.
Taken a buddies body shop today. Owner is Very sentimental about the car .
porschecb
I am thinking of being put to rest in mine! My oldest son needs to learn how to drive it! So what if you are the org. owner? It is still here! and needs to be delt with!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.