Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This just might be enough spool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

Just a progress pic of the turbo upgrade from old school IHI, to the latest technology Turbonetics GTKs. The IHIs gave me slingshot like starts, but were never that strong way up on top, actually felt like the car was fitted with Nascar intake restrictors ! These GTKs are fierce, the car doesn't even idle like it did before. Although I haven't fit the mufflers yet, it has an unique exhaust sound that I've only heard from 935s and 962s at the Historics. The throttle response is now like instantaneous ...almost like a high compression n/a engine.
Turbonetics has come up with (my take on it) the best dry turbo around:
ceramic ball bearings, F1 technology impeller design, ceramic coated housings, and huge 4" dia. compressor inlets. I've also had all of the new tubes ceramic coated (Xtreme brand) too. These 2 units (350 series) will support in excess of 750 bhp, or +250 more than the previous IHIs biggrin.gif
This version should be like riding a big one at Pipeline !
Marty
DBCooper
Marty, I know you've been doing this for a while, and it seems to be working out pretty well for you, and it's just so unfortunate that no one's had the heart to let you know... THAT'S NOT PERMITTED.

shades.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea don't you know you can't Turbo a 914?
iamchappy
I have turbo envy....... thats just sick!
VaccaRabite
What kind of engine are these turbos driving?
This is beyond sick.
Wow.

Zach
Way COOOOOL!

Now make sure you don't snap those axels or you might have to build 2x4s axels with the hp out of that 2.1 smile.gif
John
What transmission am I looking at? I thought it looked like a 915 with at Vellios kit, but something just doesn't look right. Is is a 930 with a different nosecone/tailcone and a side shift kit?

BTW, nice turbos.

alpha434
F1 turbo technology?

You mean ten-year-old, out of date formula 1 technology?

Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(396 @ Mar 26 2008, 06:53 AM) *

Way COOOOOL!

Now make sure you don't snap those axels or you might have to build 2x4s axels with the hp out of that 2.1 smile.gif

not quite a 2.1 , the engine is a slightly de-stroked 3.3 turbo engine with some Aasco (Randall Aase) tricks. I have been posting pics of my son's 2.0 build-up lately on this forum--so pardon the confusion !
This is the engine that the GTKs are feeding.
Thanks guys for the comments smile.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
...and this is the 2.0 build-up for Matt's POC/ CI class racer. It's also built by Aase Motors. I'd sure like to plant the IHI's on this, but the class just won't allow it dry.gif
MartyClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Mar 26 2008, 07:18 PM) *

F1 turbo technology?

You mean ten-year-old, out of date formula 1 technology?

Actually the F1 technology that I mentioned, can be found at their (Turbonetics) site. Although turbos have not been used in F1 since the Lauda days, this technology can still find some good use under my trunk floor in 2008 !
GTK text is at
www.turbonetics.com/products/index.php?products_id=945&category_id=84
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(John @ Mar 26 2008, 05:49 PM) *

What transmission am I looking at? I thought it looked like a 915 with at Vellios kit, but something just doesn't look right. Is is a 930 with a different nosecone/tailcone and a side shift kit?

BTW, nice turbos.

Thx John !
The transaxle is a factory oe type 916, with one of my custom fabricated horizontal (oe pulley) mounts. The 916 trans is equipped with a side shifter already. I had the ring gear carrier unit modified to hold a magnetic plate, which operates the electric speedo. Axels are sway-away and the CVs are turbo 930, so you are partly correct smile.gif
Marty
John
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 26 2008, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Mar 26 2008, 05:49 PM) *

BTW, nice turbos.

Thx John !
The transaxle is a factory oe type 916, with one of my custom fabricated horizontal (oe pulley) mounts. The 916 trans is equipped with a side shifter already. I had the ring gear carrier unit modified to hold a magnetic plate, which operates the electric speedo. Axels are sway-away and the CVs are turbo 930, so you are partly correct smile.gif
Marty

Marty,

My second guess would have been an actual 916 trans, but I don't know how rare those really are.

I have been drooling over your car(s) ever since I saw the one in VW Porsche mag back when I was in High School (in the 80's). I still look at that issue from time to time. Is this the same car?
Maltese Falcon
John...same car that I purchased off the showroom floor. I don't think I'll ever find an equivalent power/to/weight fun machine (on 4 wheels) like this one for less than six figures biggrin.gif
Funny thing is that we all knew the 914s potential decades ago, especially a good running 2.0 or a six. And then came the imitators: X1-9, Fiero, MR2, the Dino was HOT drooley.gif
Todays Boxster and Cayman just goes to show you what Porsche can't run away from "Mid engine"...not to mention the flagship 914-10 CGT !
Marty
GS Guy
Marty - you should link to the U-tube video of it running! I happened across it by chance the other day while looking at Suby powered 914s. It was instantly recogniseable from the engine and intercooler.

SO - just how many different engines and turbo set-ups has that car had since new? I recall reading about it in at least a couple variations (unless they were completely different cars?) way back in the 70's & 80's. I'd dare say it's now reached the "pinnacle" of turbo-914 development! drooley.gif

Man - you've been turbo-ing 914s since waaaaay before they ever started saying you couldn't!

Jeff
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Mar 27 2008, 04:55 AM) *

Marty - you should link to the U-tube video of it running! I happened across it by chance the other day while looking at Suby powered 914s. It was instantly recogniseable from the engine and intercooler.

SO - just how many different engines and turbo set-ups has that car had since new? I recall reading about it in at least a couple variations (unless they were completely different cars?) way back in the 70's & 80's. I'd dare say it's now reached the "pinnacle" of turbo-914 development! drooley.gif

Man - you've been turbo-ing 914s since waaaaay before they ever started saying you couldn't!

Jeff

You-tube , however it was filmed with the old IHI units is at
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhH5mzfyFl8
Still sounds beastie in the clip smile.gif

The car has had these engines: T4 2.0 n/a, 2.0 turbo, 2.7 six sgl-turbo, 3.0 six twin turbo, and presently 3.3 six twin plug / twin turbo.
All of the previous engines were sold "Running" and are proll'y out there today.
Marty

championgt1
Sometimes you see something that just makes you want to say damn!!!!!. Yes, when I saw this I said damn. Very sweet! aktion035.gif
John
So I looked through my old magazines and found the article I remember (but I wasn't still in high school or college in November 1995). They say the mind is the first thing to go....

That article describes the engine as a 3.2 liter 962-type engine, and pictures show a horizontal fan.

It also looks like some type of modified 3.2 intake manifolds.

Again, I really like your car.

Do you still have the 3.2, 4-wheel drive Vanagon?
iamchappy
Malteses's engine probably lays down over 600HP....... 400hp in a 914 is a rocket, can you imagine 600+ i cant.
John
You two guys are really tempting me to put my spare 930 engine in my project car.......

Perhaps you guys could help direct me if I choose to follow down that path when I am closer to doing an engine.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(John @ Mar 27 2008, 06:56 PM) *

So I looked through my old magazines and found the article I remember (but I wasn't still in high school or college in November 1995). They say the mind is the first thing to go....

That article describes the engine as a 3.2 liter 962-type engine, and pictures show a horizontal fan.

It also looks like some type of modified 3.2 intake manifolds.

Again, I really like your car.

Do you still have the 3.2, 4-wheel drive Vanagon?

John , the 3.2 Syncro-van (Range Panzer) sold in 2005 . A friend of mine bought it and drove it up to NorCal, used it as an engine donor back into a into a 9146GT.
The van, as far as I know was sold again (roller) and converted back to a wasserpumper. The 911 powered van went everywhere you put it...even thru the Big Sur creek smile.gif
The 914 started its magazine life in 1976 "VW Greats", 1984 "VW & Porsche", 1995 "European Car" and 2004 (?) "Excellence".
Thanks for the props !
Marty
iamchappy
Why are you hesitating, do it, it will fit right in, you just need to have a crossover pipe made, and decide where you want your turbo mounted. I love Marty's twin turbo's but he is insane i am only a little crazy.
If you have the engine already you wouldn't need much. Wastgate, a few flanges, bov, fuel pump, assorted silicone hoses, wide band Ar gauge.
John
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 27 2008, 06:28 PM) *

Why are you hesitating, do it, it will fit right in, you just need to have a crossover pipe made, and decide where you want your turbo mounted. I love Marty's twin turbo's but he is insane i am only a little crazy.
If you have the engine already you wouldn't need much. Wastgate, a few flanges, bov, fuel pump, assorted silicone hoses, wide band Ar gauge.

All that equals MONEY.

I have to pace myself as my wife and kids seem to take priority when it comes to money ( screwy.gif ).

I'll get the car (which is a totally stripped down tub on a rotisserie) ready for running gear and then decide what engine it will get.

The spare engine needs to come apart to determine what was causing a slight knock. (The reason I replaced the engine in my 930 in the first place).

iamchappy
Yes money does pose a big problem with these cars and all of our ideas to do things to them. Marty you are a bad influence on all of us......thanks!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 27 2008, 07:44 PM) *

Yes money does pose a big problem with these cars and all of our ideas to do things to them. Marty you are a bad influence on all of us......thanks!

David, when I started modding cars I was an oil change boy at a local Ind. Porsche shop. When the right parts came along and the $$ were tight, I lived on mac and cheese . Today I'd love to buy a 962 , but eating Top ramen just doesn't get it blink.gif
Marty
GS Guy
[/quote]
The 914 started its magazine life in 1976 "VW Greats", 1984 "VW & Porsche", 1995 "European Car" and 2004 (?) "Excellence".
Thanks for the props !
Marty
[/quote]

Cool, I'll have to look into my back issues for some weekend reading! I know I've got the VW Greats (best VW and Porsche magazine ever, IMO!) and I think the VW & Porsche issues. I'll have to see on EC....

Always fun to re-read an interesting article on a great car.
Thanks Marty - for putting that 914 completely over the top!
Jeff
purple
I love that air shroud! it looks like a corvair!
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(purple @ Mar 28 2008, 05:32 AM) *

I love that air shroud! it looks like a corvair!

I don't think that Ralph Nader had anything to do with this type of air cooling fan biggrin.gif

Jeff , thanks for the props !
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.