Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
used the "914 Info" feature just the other day, after Andy pointed us there in the thread about the '73 that may or may not have been a 1,8. sure enough, the Info page shows more than 3000 '73 1,8's made - but i've never seen one before '74. with almost as many '73 1,8's as 914.6's, you'd think more would have turned up.

so i'm wondering if those 3000+ '73 1,8's were the dual-Weber carbureted Euro cars, and the AFC (L-Jet) 1,8's were imported here only for '74+ -- or those numbers are for '74 models made in '73 ...

do we have any numbers on how many 914's by type were US- (or US/CDN) spec and how many were RoW ?
davep
Actually, the 1.8 L was only only in the 1974 model year for 1973 production. Additionally, the 1.8L was delayed in production, and only 2.0 L engines were used in the initial 74 model year production. The first 1.8 I know of is about 3490 built in September.

DaveP
TheCabinetmaker
Go here for a complete rundown,

http://www.pca.org/914/9144Data.htm
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 15 2004, 08:38 AM)
Go here for a complete rundown,
http://www.pca.org/914/9144Data.htm

interesting chart - but i couldn't find how many '70 914.6's were US-spec and how many were Euro.
nor the same data for '74 1,8's.

that's what i want to know - for each year and model, how many were imported into North America and how many went elsewhere ?
TheCabinetmaker
Here's the homepage for the 914sig

http://www.pca.org/914/SIGsiteIE.html

Click on faqs and then rundown of the 914-6 models
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 15 2004, 09:50 AM)
http://www.pca.org/914/SIGsiteIE.html
Click on faqs and then rundown of the 914-6 models

another useful chart that does not show how many were North America imports and how many were RoW ...

thanks (really), but i'm looking for either production numbers of US vs Euro (the 914 SIG chart just shows total production numbers by year) or PCNA import numbers by year and model ...
JeffBowlsby
I have never seen production numbers USA vs ROW anywhere Rich, as many times and places I have looked. In fact the PCNA and various factory sources specifically say that they dont know either...

All I have is the information gleaned from Excellence Was Expected...

"In May of 1974, the 100,000th Porsche 914 left the factory. Nearly 60,000 914s had been exported to America by that date."

At that export rate, nearly 72,000 914s [1970-76] would have been shipped to North America (60% of total production), with the remaining 46,000 (40% of total production) for the rest of the world."
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Jan 15 2004, 12:24 PM)
I have never seen production numbers USA vs ROW anywhere Rich, as many times and places I have looked. In fact the PCNA and various factory sources specifically say that they dont know either...

i believe you, but that is a very scary thought indeed...

Jeff - you've seen a factory CoA for a 914, yes? (i keep meaning to go get mine documented, just haven't yet ...) if the North America and RoW cars have different Type Codes, is this information shown on the CoA's ? is the destination country build code shown in the CoA?

i understand subtleties like which were and were not CanAm cars (LE's) is not documented, but it seems to me somewhere along the line they'd have had to know what kind of turn signals to use and whether or not to drill the fenders for US-DOT side markers...

if this kind of data -isn't- known to the factory, where are they getting the information that's documented on the CoA ?

a long, long time ago i saw total production vs US import numbers on the early 356's - and if they had that kind of data in the early 50's, when they were mostly too busy building cars to keep good records, i wonder how they could have stopped keeping track in the 20 years it took them to start producing 914's ? i can -maybe- understand they wouldn't know all the numbers on the cars Karmann produced, but it seems they'd know about the /6's produced on the 911 assembly line ...

fascinating...
JeffBowlsby
...if the North America and RoW cars have different Type Codes, is this information shown on the CoA's ?

No. All 914-4 are Type 47. Dont know about the sixes...

is the destination country build code shown in the CoA?

No.

i understand subtleties like which were and were not CanAm cars (LE's) is not documented...

Ah but it is documented. The COA is the only place that info is available...other than the actual Cardex...which the COA purports to be a record of. I have not seen a COA of a Euro car yet...but if you think about it...PCNA controls the COAs...and how many Euro 914 owners know or care about PCNA? A Euro car COA would be a great thing to see... cool.gif

...but it seems to me somewhere along the line they'd have had to know what kind of turn signals to use and whether or not to drill the fenders for US-DOT side markers...

The Cardex should show the equipment package for each vehicle. The USA COAs I have, do. I have several COAs on my collectibles website if you want to study them, and a couple others I haven't had to time to post yet. All show things like...'US Equipment' [a 49 state car]...or 'CA emissions equipment"...

PS This and other global questions would be easily answered if PCNA would allow access to their Cardex files. I have been tempeted to contact them and see if they would let me in for a couple hours perusal....
davep
I believe the Cardex is at the factory, and PCNA has to send a request to the factory. Yes, the data is, theoretically available. The problem is that the data is in a card file, and not computer records. I believe the official numbers show 240 as the last 914/6 in 1972. But 260 and others exist also.

DaveP
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Jan 15 2004, 01:02 PM)
...if the North America and RoW cars have different Type Codes, is this information shown on the CoA's ?

No. All 914-4 are Type 47. Dont know about the sixes...

well then let me be more specific and ask about engine codes, since for the purpose of this discussion, there's a one-to-one correspondence ...

on the chart here it shows engine codes for US (49-state) US-CA, and RoW. if we could just get a listing with production number of cars, by those engine type codes :-) ...

CoA for a Euro car, huh ? i'll hafta check into it. i happen to know the VIN of a Euro /6 - i believe it's the VIN by which i'm registered in PCA, in fact ...
echocanyons
I thought the euro 1.8's had solex carbs, dual single downdraft?
redshift
Breakdown... breakdown.. are you trying to jinx us all?

smile.gif

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jan 15 2004, 01:43 PM)
I thought the euro 1.8's had solex carbs, dual single downdraft?

i believe you are correct ... Weber didn't feel right as i was typing it ...
Aaron Cox
smile.gif it says weber for the 1.8 in th e"914info" section
echocanyons
No personal experience but the PET disk says:

Carb Solex 40 PDSIT

part numbers 021 129 027 R and 021 129 028 R

Can anyone verify this?
redshift
Verify the parts number, or that ROW (better described as -NON-AMERICAS-) came with Solexes?

Yes, they came with Solex carbs. (non-ams)

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.