Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopped up 3.2 or stock 3.6.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
Two engines - one a stock 3.6 making 300 hp and the other a hopped up 3.2 making the same power. Both cost about the same to purchase. If you were looking at putting a flat 6 in your car which would you prefer and why?
scotty
Yes! laugh.gif
seanery
3.2 is simpler to install.
soloracer
But is it as reliable?
fiid
The thing about the 3.6 - it is in a lower state of tune, which means to me two things....

1) It will last longer.

2) You can tune it to a higher hp output later if/when you feel the need.

Having said that - I have heard that the 3.6 is slightly harder to shoehorn into a 914.

Fiid.
RON S.
Easy answer,
3.6l all the way.
Now the why.
I've been redoin a 914/6 for about 5 years now.I started out much like everyone else.Fix the rust,new paint,nice interior,throw in a cheap six,and 901 box,and ride.Right!
1.)As I went along I thought,more and more that if I ever wanted to sell it,it'd be just another 6'r w/a little motor.
Those are a buyers market.A lot of money spent,no return on it.
2.)What does everyone whose built a 6r want more of?Power.To that You have 2 choices.Pour money in the little 6 or buy a big one that already has it.I chose the latter.
5 years of workin on the car just to end up w/150-200hp didn't sound like a nice ending for me.
3.)Resale values for small motored 6r's aren't very high.10-15k pretty much anywhere in the country.A nice bone stock 3.6 w/a properly preparred tranny& chassis puts the owner in a whole different catagory.Think of it in street rod terms.A fully resto'd to original '34 Ford roadster is bringing 30-40k in Hemming,but ones that have been rodded are asking anywhere from 50-85k.
In the end,I guess its about what ya wanna do with your project.

jm2cw
Ron
SirAndy
agree.gif

3.6 smilie_pokal.gif

- 3.2 is easier to install, using original /6 sheetmetal and all, basically a direct swap for a /6.
- 3.6 needs cutting of original sheetmetal or getting aftermarket SM.

Andy

PS.: if you go with the 3.2 and want to get rid of the 3.6, just throw it my way. wink.gif
mike_the_man
I would agree with everybody here. Get the 3.6, it should be more reliable. And, if you ever feel the need, you can hop it up and make even more power. More power is better, right? I think you would have more options with the 3.6. Ah, to be in the diffcult position that you're in! I really feel for ya! wink.gif
Have two fellow instructors in my region that bought track prepped cars with 3.6's and they payed around 18k. Both cars are in good shape mechanically with no rust issues. They do like the power, but the cars didnt fetch much more money than what your range was. Ron - your car is in a different league of course, being so meticulously prepped as both a mover and concours project.

If you are looking at the same horsepower, then the stock over the hopped up version is far less headaches in the future.
Jeroen
Which 3.6 are you talking 'bout?

The ones from the 964 make 250hp stock
The early ones from a 993 make about 270hp stock
and the later 993 versions (vario-ram) make some 285hp stock

The early 3.6's (89/91) had some issues with leaking at the cilinder bases IIRC and needed a modification

What did they do to the 3.2 ?

cheers,

Jeroen
East coaster
I can only add my personal rationale for going with a 3.6. I reasoned that I could have a 250-300 hp 914 that would start right up, idle smooth and deliver smooth as silk power no matter what the temperature is. I won't have to dick around with carbs/jets and pumpin' the pedal till it warms up. I'm building primarily a street car and these are important criteria for me. I felt that once I tackled the install challenges, I should have something as reliable as the '92 Carrera which so kindly gave up it's engine for my teener!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.