Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car got hit today while it was parked, the person took off!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
I had my car parked in the street cause I had to take it to work today and some A-hole hit it and ran!

Click to view attachment

The drivers door is damaged, I can not open the door or roll the window up or down. Nothing else got damaged. I am thinking it was an SUV because the area of impact seems high. I am going to let my auto ins. know tomorrow.

Need some advise:
What are the possibilitis of a body shop finding and installing the correct door for a 73 [door with the newer style window regulator and w/ out the heavy reinforcement bar (what is the range of that by the way?)] or am I better off trying to find one myself. How would that work with insurance? Anyone know of a good body shop in the Los Angeles area that is fimiliar with these cars ? Etc.

thanks for your help,

Levon

SLITS
Post a classified for WTB Lightweight Racing Door ..... I believe it was late '72 thru early '73 for the updated window winder doors before the reinforcment bar was added.

They're around.
boxstr
I have some doors at CAMP. Let me know if you need one.
Craig
Smitty911
I hope someone saw the hit and got a lisc plate, otherwise you may end up paying the deductable. Ouch.

Some people should be allowed to Drive.

Smitty
toon1
MAn!!! that sucks ass!!

Unfourtunatly these cars become invisible to big SUV's

Good luck
orange914
ouch... beautiful car. sorry, hope they catch the idiot. i've got an 71 ca. (i think rust free) non reinforcement door thats gutted. it's yours if you can pick up or wait as i cant ship for quite awhile.

my sons 73 is early with out the reinforcements but i never looked at the window mechanizms

best luck with it

mike
orange914
QUOTE(Smitty911 @ Mar 26 2008, 10:02 PM) *

I hope someone saw the hit and got a lisc plate, otherwise you may end up paying the deductable. Ouch.

Smitty

question everyone for the plate #, unfortunately hit-n-run requires a liscense #.

mike
PeeGreen 914
WTF.gif what's wrong with people these days.

Sorry to hear about this.
Smitty911
QUOTE(orange914 @ Mar 26 2008, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Smitty911 @ Mar 26 2008, 10:02 PM) *

Smitty

question everyone for the plate #, unfortunately hit-n-run requires a liscense #.

mike

For most insurance companies you will need a plate number to have the Insurance track down. Other wise you will have to claim it on your policy not the No insurance side. If you have the Lisc. you don't have to pay the deductable.

Some one mirror slapped my Drives side Mirror. No Lisc plate to follow up. I paid had to pay deductable or just replace the mirror. Recently someone backed into my truck, I had the lisc number, Insurance covered the repair, no problem.

Call your insurace company to be sure though.

Smitty
rktmn247
That so sucks! headbang.gif Some days I hate people! Sorry for your loss. Are there any security cams that might have caught the hit. It sure would be great to catch this pc of sh.
dw914er
i had a big lifted suv door hit my sail trim and there is now kink i need to fix casue of it
(i know our cars our small, and their's a big, but still, they should look out)
i might also be able to find door from my buddy hershel and his collection of 914s, but im not sure

That really sucks though
rhodyguy
get some estimates. have the adjuster look at the car. don't assume there is no door frame damage, get the door to open. turn in the claim. take the check. fix it yourself. pocket the dif.

low riding 914. high riding unattentive suv driver that is only capable of using the interior rearview mirror. tubesteak.

k
purple
Jesus Christ man! Trucks blow.

ar15.gif
Spoke
That sucks.

How did they hit it? Looks like a dry day. Did they lose control or were trying to park in your spot? Or U turn?
smontanaro
I know exactly how you feel. Same thing happened to my TR-250 a couple years ago. I was in between houses, so didn't have a garage to park it in. I didn't have collision insurance. :-(

Skip
ConeDodger
I would not let your insurance company know. You can get a door here and have it painted for not much more than your deductable I would guess. You could even wind up with a salvage title unless you argue like crazy... Your call though...

Sorry for that. I once hit a car and left the scene. Backed into my parts car with my SUV...
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 27 2008, 08:55 AM) *

That sucks.

How did they hit it? Looks like a dry day. Did they lose control or were trying to park in your spot? Or U turn?

By the look of it, I would guess that with the low and black 914 that they didn't see it and was trying to back into the same parking spot. ar15.gif
EdwardBlume
That sucks! Hope things go OK from here. Lots of doors around for sure.
sixgt
The exact same thing happened to me. My neighbor's friend back out their Suburban straight into my driver's door, using my car as a stop. What the he!! was he thinking, doesn't even turn the steering wheel to back into the street. Anyways the door frame was bent. I was fortunate that he left a note (that's because my neighbor was there). When I called him he said he couldn't remember his insurance and he never called me back until I sent him the repair bill (almost $5,000) to his house and told him I was going to pay or I would take it to the next step. Unbelievable. Sorry for your loss.

ConeDodger, I can't believe you didn't leave a note on your parts car biggrin.gif
shelby/914
agree.gif

Get a quick estimate from a good body/restoration shop that understands these cars. I had a great deal of trouble even finding a shop that would give me an estimate on some quarter panel damage.. The car is not in their estimating software and new parts are not available so production body shops want nothing to do with the repair. You need a guy who estimates with his mind and a notebook. You may be better off buying a used door yourself and not end up with a salvage title for a few dollars. O'yea like everone else I've got a complete '73 door with the bar.
Trevorg7
That sucks, sorry. That is a aweful feeling when you walk out and see something like that. Get'er fixed and drive again.

T
Dr. Roger
I am soooo realizing I need to switch over to a brighter, lighter color than the black I'm with now.

When I was driving my arrest me red or my lemon yellow vehicles I never had these problems...

ar15.gif Life lessons suck most times. dry.gif
jhadler
I feel your pain...

There was a one year stretch where my car spent more time at the body shop than on the road. 3 times it was hit in parking lots! And at no time was I in (or even NEAR) the car.

It was the same story every time. Backing up in a big SUV, and not using the side mirrors or actually turning their heads. Since your car is low and dark colored (like mine), <blam> was the result. Lucky for me, the culprits took responsibility each time. But your door looks almost exactly like my right rear quarter panel did when some lady backing up in her SUV stove in the side of my car because she was driving the thing like it was a sedan (hit number 1).

All I can say is that I became keenly aware of where I parked and how my car was situated.

-Josh2
rjames
Accidents happen, but to not leave a note is subhuman.

Maybe I'm getting way too cynical in my old age, but my guess is that the majority of people would not bother leaving a note.
John
It looks like they slowly pushed on it like they backed into it. They were probably putting on make-up with one hand and talking on a cell phone with the other hand. An SUV to be sure. They probably couldn't figure out why their land yacht wasn't moving and stepped on the gas harder.

It really sucks that people are so irresponsible as to not leave any note.

I feel for your loss, but on the bright side, it looks like the bumper imprint was high enough not to crush the long.

You should start looking for a replacement door. I don't know that I would turn it in on my insurance. It would probably be less expensive to find a door and take it to a body shop to be sprayed.

With any luck, you will be able to remove the inner door panel and kick out the door enough for it to open. Then inspect the door jamb and door sill for damage from the bent door.

I wish you the best of luck.

Believe me, it could have been a whole lot worse.
levonfarra
Thank you everyone for the kind words, and the good advise as always. I feel much better knowing that I should be able to find the correct door.

cheers,

levon
KELTY360
Somebody's got to say it.

That should buff right out. dry.gif

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Nice looking car. good luck.
jarclay
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Mar 26 2008, 08:42 PM) *

I had my car parked in the street cause I had to take it to work today and some A-hole hit it and ran!

Click to view attachment

The drivers door is damaged, I can not open the door or roll the window up or down. Nothing else got damaged. I am thinking it was an SUV because the area of impact seems high. I am going to let my auto ins. know tomorrow.

Need some advise:
What are the possibilitis of a body shop finding and installing the correct door for a 73 [door with the newer style window regulator and w/ out the heavy reinforcement bar (what is the range of that by the way?)] or am I better off trying to find one myself. How would that work with insurance? Anyone know of a good body shop in the Los Angeles area that is fimiliar with these cars ? Etc.

thanks for your help,

Levon

Sorry, very sorry. I have been doing the police thing for like 27 years and I see a door in the background of the photo. I would be knocking on every door on either side of the block as I guarentee someone saw this or heard this and looked out a window. It may be someone who frequents that street and the veh. may have been recognized. Makes you afraid to drive anything nice. Best of luck on the repair. jarclay
euro911
Your situation is far worse than what we've experienced, Levon, but ever since we started getting some nasty parking lot dings in my wife's white 914, I've been thinking about installing (and marketing) a mobile video system with a 4-camera pod and digital recorder.

idea.gif Think about it ... front, rear and both sides all recorded on chip media on a 4-channel DVR piratenanner.gif

... and, correct me if I'm wrong ... is it politically incorrect to call someone who hits your car, then leaves without fessing up, a 'TOTAL ASSHOLE' ? confused24.gif

If so, I apologize ...

Your opinions are welcome ... popcorn[1].gif
yellow914
I too was hit today by a guy in a truck who ran a red light and then took off before I could come to my senses enough to get a plate. Lost the drivers side fender, head light, turn signal, and driving light...oh and the hood too!...How do I get a Fender?...not flared...just stock...or fiberglass?

I feel your pain man...I really do!
highways
QUOTE(levonfarra @ Mar 26 2008, 09:42 PM) *

That A-hole probably works on the same street as you. He'll park around the block for the next two or three weeks... but he'll back. In order to start the proper correspondence with him, I'd keep my eyes open for the correct height bumper with your paint on it. Then of course tell him your witnesses saw everything and he'd better settle out of court.
orthobiz
I
am
SICK!!!!

Paul
euro911
QUOTE(highways @ Mar 28 2008, 01:14 AM) *
That A-hole probably works on the same street as you. He'll park around the block for the next two or three weeks... but he'll back. In order to start the proper correspondence with him, I'd keep my eyes open for the correct height bumper with your paint on it. Then of course tell him your witnesses saw everything and he'd better settle out of court.

... and 6 months later, you can ice-pick all 4 of his/her tires just above the bead in the sidewalls happy11.gif

You know what would really be the shits though ... if you found out it was your boss pinch.gif ... or some chick at work that you've really been wanting to sheeplove.gif

headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.