Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secondary Methods of reducing head temps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I'm heading to the track in a week and a half and wanted to gather suggestions I can use to make sure my head temps don't run too high. Aside from fuel/spark curve adjustments, what else can I do? I do realize that these two elements are the biggest drivers in the afr/spark curve/head temp combo. But in case I can't dial it in right, I wanted to hear what the alternatives are...

Anything I can do spark plug wise? Run a hotter plug? Change gapping?
Already using 93 octane fuel
Already using 20W50 Brad Penn

I know that to a certain extent additional fueling reduces head temps. I believe I witnessed this, however I'm already running rather rich (12:1). Tomorrow i'm going to try to tune some more.
I figured out a way using the warm up enrichment table to add fuel in case head temps go over a certain value. I was going to add 15-20% fuel if head temp goes over 400F. Is this a bad idea? This might lower AFRs too much, into 10-11:1 range.

I'm monitoring head temps using a dakota digital head temp gauge. Also watching oil temps.

Any thoughts?
toon1
According to Jake, 12:1 is too rich. he doesnt like to see anything richer than 13:0
And usually tunes to 13:1. With too rich of a mixture, you will start sending fuel past the rings into the oil.

As far as the head temps, are you running alt. or simul . injection?

Simul. will add the fuel to the head too cool a bit. . It will give you better tip in on accel.

Timing will be the next thing.

Is all the cooling tin in place?
r_towle
if you are running to hot at a track, pull back into the pits...you cant do it more than once...of the head get loose.

On dedicated track cars the good old sewer pipe type air system owrks well.
This is a long tube running from the front of the car and get shot directly at the cooling fan so you are basically blowing cold air in there.

You could look at the little roof pieces that re-direct more air down into the engine bay...

Rich

Brando
Fab up a box in place of the front airbox with a larger opening where the grille is. Connect it to the heater tubes in the longs, plumb them to go into the engine bay directly in front of the impeller... ?
Cap'n Krusty
What's your C/R? The Cap'n
yarin
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 28 2008, 06:49 PM) *

According to Jake, 12:1 is too rich. he doesnt like to see anything richer than 13:0
And usually tunes to 13:1. With too rich of a mixture, you will start sending fuel past the rings into the oil.

As far as the head temps, are you running alt. or simul . injection?

Simul. will add the fuel to the head too cool a bit. . It will give you better tip in on accel.

Timing will be the next thing.

Is all the cooling tin in place?

I'm running alternating. Makes sense, i could try simulataneous and see if it makes a difference. All the cooling tin is in place. I set my spark curve to be fairly conservative. I'll check the offset with a timing light just to make sure nothing has moved.

I know my AFR goal is 13:1. Hopefully i'll do some tuning later today and see where i stand.

No idea what's inside my motor. Hence my plan to tear it down next winter and rebuild.

Would like to entertain the ideas of rabbing up a scoop or duct of sorts, i'll give that a shot as a last resort.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.