Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MOTHER #&*%&@$ Murphy!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
So, I got the carbs done last night, intended to install them today, clean up the gas tank and tank area and start her up tomorrow. Oh while I am at it, I figured I would install the new seat belts I ordered from ebay.

SonofaBI**!! mad.gif Lets start with the carb install. Started on the passenger side one first since that was the most problematic to remove. Pulled out the battery so I had more space, cleaned up the area and lubed the nuts with some WD40. Pop on the carb, put on the outside nuts and finger tighten them. Then I did the contortionist dance to get the inside washer and nuts on. So far so good.

Start to tighten all nuts incrementally and it is going well...at least until I got to the outside nut closest to the firewall. She starts turning really, really easy. So I pull of the socket and check, whole stud is turning. OK, need to tighten the stud back up...nope the sucker just pulled right out! headbang.gif headbang.gif

Well, that sucker is going to have to be tapped and a new stud inserted, dang it!! OK can't do anything about that so I installed the other side, got everything hooked back up and will have Boxter Motor deal with the stud since I don't have the tools at my house.

So I begin cleaning up the tank and tank area; at least that went OK.

So now lets look at the seatbelt. First issue, the SOBs told me I had to order two of the items as only one belt came in a box. WRONG! I now have two complete sets of belts.

Second issue, they advertised universal fit and specifically 914 fitment. NOT Quite. Will post some pictures of the belt later but needless to say, they won't fit without some modifications.

I had such high hopes for today and they just kinda went to stromberg.gif

I need to head into work for a teleconference then I will come back and clean my bike and maybe take a long ride since it is nice today. Some days, I should just stay in bed.
SGB
Arrrgh!

At least all are recoverable setbacks...
davep
Well, at least the bike ride will help sooth your soul.
Too bad that Murphy was an optimist.
JPB
The best aproach is to start by saying, I ain't gonna get a thing done today then crack open a nice cold one. Start pittering around the old girl and by cracky, after a few cold beers, it gets done. beer.gif
So.Cal.914
Consider it as a R & D day. You now know what you need to do. smile.gif
toon1
BTDT with that exact same intake stud.

Sometimes nothing seems to go right. one bad day with the car will lead to a good day.........at some point.

It all evens out
stephenaki
Well, after cleaning things up and heading off to work for what was supposed to be a teleconference, I found out it got canceled 10 minutes before I got there. Ok that's a couple of hours I got back. piratenanner.gif

Spent the rest of the afternoon chasing my daughter around the playground while mommy shopped for stuff. When I finally got home I didn't have time to clean the bike as my German neighbor was having computer issues and I wound up spending the next 4 1/2 hours diagnosing and fixing his system. Long story but I finally fixed the damn thing! Anyone got a copy of Norton Ghost? Mine has disappeared. I need to make a mirror copy of his one drive so he can get rid of the original as the drive is going bad.

I'm hoping to do some finishing on the inside of the tank area then need to coordinate a time to take the car over to Boxter Motors to repair the missing stud among some other things that I just don't have time to mess with.

Hopefully tomorrow will be less eventful. blink.gif
computers4kids
If you get a chance, could you post some pics of the seat belts on ebay & what you think about them. I toyed with buying a set of those.

Mark
stephenaki
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Mar 30 2008, 06:49 AM) *

If you get a chance, could you post some pics of the seat belts on ebay & what you think about them. I toyed with buying a set of those.

Mark

Mark,
Per your request, I had to take pictures anyway to put them on Evil Bay. Primary problem, this is a three point mount system. The retractor along with the base point mount below, the other point mounts up top. Problem is that you can't easily, if at all, get the retractor and base mounting point in the proper position due to the design of the 914.

If someone else has experience with this seatbelt let me know; here are the pictures.

IPB Image

IPB Image
computers4kids
Thanks for posting the pics...did you give-up on these? I would like a real nice set of seat belts for my project car...looking for possibilites.
stephenaki
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 6 2008, 09:50 PM) *

Thanks for posting the pics...did you give-up on these? I would like a real nice set of seat belts for my project car...looking for possibilites.

Not quite, I have the car over at Boxter Motors currently and showed Christoph the seat belts. He stated that the older models had a mounting location behind the seat for the retractor part of the belt. The other part then just mounted at the point next to the seat. He will look at putting the belts onto the car using the older model configuration. If it works out I will let you know and, if you want it, I have another complete set of seat belts that you can buy off me. Will shoot you a PM when I find out.
markb
I put a belt from a Volvo station wagon in my 71, mounted the retractor at the bottom point, along with the bottom mount. It doesn't allow the seat to go all the way back, but works well otherwise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.