Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creating/Modifing SS exhaust into 1 5/8 exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
Any experience is the optimization of exhaust converting the standard SS exhaust system into a 1 5/8" exhaust with a 4into 2 into 1 system? What is your thoughts? I have a good SS sytem that I wish to keep for my 2.257 project. I am convience with Chris' data regarding the inporvement in his exhaust system. Can the SS heat exchanger be removed and the exhaust pipes changed for the larger pipes with a 4 into 2 into 1 system following the heat exchanger?
Thanks,
L. McChesney
Bleyseng
I thought Chris was working on a header with heat now...

Geoff
ChrisFoley
It really doesn't matter what diameter the pipes are, the long primaries of a stock type HE system won't give the performance benefits no matter what "header" you attach to it, compared to a true 4-2-1 merged header with short primaries.
I suppose with the larger 1 5/8" tubes as you suggest, they would work better than the stock size, on a large displacement engine.
I have delivered two of my systems with a small heat exchanger add-on. 914rick was the first, and he just received his new engine last week. It still remains to be seen just how effective my HE's are. They certainly won't produce as much heat as the stock or SSI heat exchangers though. You gotta decide what's more important: getting there fast or getting there warm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.