Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repro 914/6 oil tanks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markb
I stopped by to pick up a couple parts at GPR in San Luis Obispo today, and while I was talking with the owner, Dave, I spotted one of his guys fabbing an oil tank. Dave says he's seen the prices other places are getting for their tanks, and it's too much. They're sending this one out to be anodized and then it'll go in Dave's car. He says it'll use all stock /6 lines. It looked really good, but what do I know about /6s? If it's something you may be interested in, call and talk to Dave.
Brad Roberts
I meet tomorrow (11:30am) with a person who will give me a quote for a new 9146 Carbon fiber tank along with several other CF pieces we want made for production.

B
steve@ottosvenice.com
We have NOS Factory tanks. Steve
Brad Roberts
Old price or new price ??

B
campbellcj
B - I have no need for the tank but please keep us posted about the carbon body and interior parts. I think we had a thread about a stock 914 dash top before.

I like the price I paid for my tank last year...I almost felt bad cuz the guy did not know exactly what they were currently worth...but I got over that real quick lol3.gif
Brad Roberts
I am taking a dash top with me and a 9146 tank. Dash will probably be first do to the demand generated here.

B
ChrisFoley
It shouldn't be too hard to do better than that Vellios POS.
Brad Roberts
I want a quality product. The factory piece isnt anything to write home about. A nice CF tank with oil level gauge and some baffle changes for larger engines.. should sell well.

B
bernbomb914
Brad talk to him about a targa top made from CF and Kelivar. it should take a lot of weight off the car and be much easier to handle.

Bernie
Duffster
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Jan 15 2004, 11:26 PM)
Brad talk to him about a targa top made from CF and Kelivar. it should take a lot of weight off the car and be much easier to handle.

Bernie

agree.gif
Brad Roberts
Awesome guy I met today at lunch. He is a well known surfboard maker and wind sale board maker. He designs the products locally and makes the moulds locally... then has everything made near Berlin Germany in a manufacturing company that a friend of his owns over there. Cheap labor.. NICE parts and quick turna round.

It pains me greatly to see more business go oversees, but I havent met anyone manufacturing specialty items in the USA that makes money. All of them farm out the actual making of the parts.. flag.gif

B
Gint
It pains me greatly to see more business go oversees, but I havent met anyone manufacturing specialty items in the USA that makes money. All of them farm out the actual making of the parts..  

Don't get me started... I'm not even sober.

Nice work Brad. Thanks for makig "stuff" happen.
sj914
Brad, how bout a CF lower dash pad too. That way it matches the CF top.
SirAndy
i'm in for one. still thinking about the /6 conversion. cool.gif

oil-level gauge? now that would be pushing it ...
but, i already have the gauge, would be nice to have it hooked up to something.
Andy
Brad Roberts
I gave him a upper dash and told him about the lower. We will do dashes first (upper+lower) The tank will come later along with everything you can imagine for a 914 in CF. The tank will require some real engineering work to keep MY ass out of hot water with the end user and their expensive engines. He was excited. His wife raced 914's in GGR 8-10 years ago and was rookie of the year... so he knows the 914's and she is looking for another one. clap56.gif clap56.gif pray.gif

B
sj914
Sounds like you thought of everything. Can't wait to see some CF parts. I know my car will like them (almost all the interior bits are Fu(ked)
seanery
I sure think it would be swell if the CF oil tanks could be done in a month or so! wink.gif
maf914
Way to go, Brad. smilie_pokal.gif

If the CF dash pieces are affordable I'm in! I found the first crack in my original this past year. sad.gif

Do bare carbon fiber surfaces become chalky looking after long term exposure to the weather, like fiberglass?

Mike
maf914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 15 2004, 10:18 PM)
It shouldn't be too hard to do better than that Vellios POS.

Exactly what are you trying to say there, Chris? laugh.gif

Mike
campbellcj
I know this is waaaaaaaaaay OT, but I have been watching too much Speed channel and have to wonder what would but involved in a full carbon monocoque 914 tub???

I figure that with enough dough and engineering expertise, somebody could basically make a 1500lb widebody car with 375hp or so that looked a lot like a 914, but had the rigidity, handling and safety of a modern car. LMP675 anybody?

OK I'll put my crack pipe down now. I would be happy with some quality c/f lids and other small bits. boldblue.gif
Brad Roberts
No crack pipe Chris.. this actaully was addressed in my meeting on Friday. I specifically asked for a CF 914 tub. He was going to have one of his engineers contact me and go over with me what would be involved. I asked if it could be done for under 10k.

B
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 18 2004, 01:35 AM)
a full carbon monocoque 914 tub???

Hey, thats my idea! laugh.gif .
I would gladly work for someone who had millions of dollars to invest in such a project ! clap56.gif
A friend of mine worked for Pratt & Whitney doing R&D on C/F turbine blades, so I already know a bit about the technology through him.
maf914
I bet 10K won't touch it.

Some of the CF chassis for Indy cars and sports prototypes are just beautiful. And strong. It's amazing what can be built if the expertise and resources are available.

Mike
Eric_Shea
B,

I'm all horned up for a tank. Let me know how much. Does anybody know if a stock style tank will work with a Brad Mayeur Longitudinal kit?

OT: Any front sway-bar parts laying around you can ship out?? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.