Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Automatic tranny rebuild ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I'm looking for a used 700 R4 for my 53 Chevy. FYI I am auto tranny STOOPID and have limited manual tranny experience. How complicated is it to rebuild and build UP an auto tranny? Looking for something reliable that can easily handle 350 h.p.

Also what in particular problems did the 700 have that needs to be corrected ?
sww914
I might be wrong, but I think that the biggest challenge is getting the right tools. The two A/T rebuilders that I have known weren't rivals of Einstein. I've had several people tell me that they're easy once you figure them out.
Dr. Roger
an excellent article here

if it's built right, and you're planning to get the correct overdrive lock-up setup on your throttle linkage, all should be just fine.

got pics of this fine truck? smoke.gif

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 29 2008, 09:57 PM) *

I'm looking for a used 700 R4 for my 53 Chevy. FYI I am auto tranny STOOPID and have limited manual tranny experience. How complicated is it to rebuild and build UP an auto tranny? Looking for something reliable that can easily handle 350 h.p.

Also what in particular problems did the 700 have that needs to be corrected ?

rusty914
order an ATSG book from NAPA or a tranny supply shop for the 700R4. The manual is very complete and will give you a good idea if you can handle it. after that you'll need a good set of snap-ring pliers, picks and assembly goo. a creative mind can dodge the need for the specialty tools.
PeeGreen 914
eh... it is mostly about the right tools and following directions.
crash914
Ditto....not too hard. the valve body is the most complicated part. just lots of passages.

I have never done a 700. Lots of TH 350 and TH400. They will handle the power. Lots of upgrades available. New servos valve springs etc.

Get a book and follow along. you can do it... only special tools are for taking the clutch packs apart. A press can help here. if you screw it up, take it to aamco..
David_S
I have built a few of the 700 R4 and a few 4L60 and 4L80's. Not really too difficult. I cant remember what they are for, but there is a set of seals that go onto the input shaft that you HAVE to have the tools to install or else the seals will be stretched too far. Assembly goo .....I had a guy that has rebuilt automatics for about the last 40 years tell me to use nothing but Vaseline on the hard parts and seals, and soak the plates in ATF for several hours before assembly.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 29 2008, 09:10 PM) *

an excellent article here

got pics of this fine truck? smoke.gif

av-943.gif Calling this thing a fine truck right now DEFINITELY requiers the smoke.gif smilie
Gint
QUOTE(crash914 @ Mar 30 2008, 04:42 AM) *

Ditto....not too hard. the valve body is the most complicated part. just lots of passages.

I have never done a 700. Lots of TH 350 and TH400. They will handle the power. Lots of upgrades available. New servos valve springs etc.

Get a book and follow along. you can do it... only special tools are for taking the clutch packs apart. A press can help here. if you screw it up, take it to aamco..
small hijacked.gif

I've a T400 question I'm going to PM you Herb. Long standing problem on my 67 C20 that I can't seem to get rid of.
charliew
Transgo has some good upgrade stuff for the 700r4. I use one in a 86 k5 blazer with a 350 ramjet and so far the first one that shifted the hardest went out prematurely from driving to fast with too much weight on a trailer. It was a Jet tranny I ordered from Jegs I think. The one I'm using now is one out of a 91 surburban that had a lot of the better stuff but the transgo stuff seems to be working ok. Most of the problem is I also had the original dif carrier breakup and I had a 12 bolt from a earlier 79 400 sbc blazer setting around so I put that in. Unfortunately it is 308 gears and is geared too high for the OD. It cruises at about 2100 at 80 and that means the pressure in the tranny is lower than what is optimal. Be sure you set the throttle position signal cable correctly for the right pressure and travel or it won't live long. The later 700r4's will have the best starting point for a rebuild actually the 91 is called a 4l60 Check out Transgo, if you find something better let me know. I'm sure this won't be my last tranny build. I also have a 4l80e I want to make into a manual shifter for towing behind a 500 caddy in my 1ton.
I got my pressure gauge kit to set and check the pressure at Bowtie Overdrives they were also helpful.
Charliew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.