Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know where to get these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Okay, so I'm rebuilding the 1.7 and the plastic, case half alignment thingies that snap around the main studs are all busted up and destroyed. I was told that I was supposed to get new ones with my gasket kit, but didn't (Pelican). Anyone know where to find these? Thanks
Mark D.
P.S. Another question. Are the rods directional like they are on the type 1? I looked in my manual and it doesn't say either way, so I'm assuming no, but I just want to be sure.
911quest
The last gasket set I bought at the local VW shop had the dampners in there they don't look to be available sperate....

the rods can go on either way I put all the number stamping facing upwards.
BMXerror
Thanks. Hopefully I can find some locally.
Mark D.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Mar 30 2008, 06:42 PM) *

Thanks. Hopefully I can find some locally.
Mark D.

they come standardly in the better gasket kits sold for the cars along with the windage tray seals as well! They are separately available but hard to find unless you know the "gettin" place (as my brother always says.)
Mark Henry
I've built lots of engines and I don't think you have to have them in there.
I think it more of a ease of install item.

ARP through stud kits don't (can't) use them.
craig downs
For the rods have the bearing tangs face down
VaccaRabite
My gasket set from Pelican did not have them either. It really annoyed me that they were not in there. I ended up scavenging some (some from my tear down - save everyhting! - and the other half from a second case that I have.)

When I build the next motor (already collecting parts for a 2270) I am going to call ahead to make sure that those buggers are in the gasket set. You don't need them, but it sure makes life easier to have them there.

Zach
daveyboybadion
My understanding is that the spacers act as a harmonic dampener and to run without them risks breaking a case bolt. I had to special order them at my local VW dealership but they did get them and they are inexpensive...daveyboy
type11969
agree.gif That bolt is long and could start vibrating like a guitar string at the right rpm. Enough of that and the bolt will fatigue and crack.

Although I have also heard of people running without them with success . . .
Cap'n Krusty
You pay the shipping, I'll send you some today ............ The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.