Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lock tumblers, where to get?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
ok, this has turned into a full re-keying of my car ... Dirk Wright anyone? rolleyes.gif

now the big question is:

WHERE CAN I BUY/GET A BAG OF THEM LOCK TUMBLERS ???

you know, those little thinggies that go into the lock and always fall out.
numbered from 1 to 4 (at least in the locks i have taken apart so far) ...

idea.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Mark B, Captain Krusty's buddy....
PRS914-6
Andy, I had my entire car re-keyed. Started with a "rebuild kit" that came with a key and all the appropriate wafers then keyed the rest the same(same wafers and duplicate key). the local locksmith was able to order everything.
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Mar 30 2008, 10:54 PM) *

Andy, I had my entire car re-keyed. Started with a "rebuild kit" that came with a key and all the appropriate wafers then keyed the rest the same(same wafers and duplicate key). the local locksmith was able to order everything.

i can do it myself. it's easy ...

all i need is a bag of them what do you call 'em "wafers" ... i'm out of #3 wafers ...
bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
Krieger
I did it by buying some used locks and pulling them apart. I'd send them to you, but I got one more car to do. Call Easy and get some wrecked locks
markb
Rob the least used locks (front trunk & glove box) to rekey the important ones, then do as much as you can with the wafers you have left, then PM me with whatever missing wafers you need & I'll send them up. I'm finally getting a handle on things here at the new house, and can manage to get to the parts now.

PRS914-6, can you PM me with a detailed list of the things that came with your kit? And who I can get one from?
roadster fan
Andy,

How many #3 wafers do you need? I think a have some from some spare locks I took apart when rekeying my '71, they are yours if I have enough.

Jim
SirAndy
thanks guys!

i need to go through all my locks before i know exactly what's missing. my passanger door lock never worked and i don't have the front trunk or glove box lock.

i also have two different keys, one for the doors and one for the ignition and i'd like to keep it that way.

i'll get back to you in a few days ...
cheer.gif Andy
PRS914-6
A little more for you. If you order one "master kit" that comes with a key and wafers, you get a OEM style key properly cut to work with the new wafers. If you ever need to get a key, you can just give them the code on the master kit and you get a perfect cut anywhere. The problem with used stuff is the keys are worn and the locks don't work that well and no code for the future.

Once the master kit is in hand you just duplicate the wafers and have more keys cut off the original for all the other locks. The valet key is different but the "cut" is identical.

You don't have to have a locksmith do any of this it but they can get the parts quickly and pretty cheap.
jim_hoyland
The locksmith at Bal Port Locks in Newporsche Beach told me those little wafers can be purchased--by locksmiths. You might try a full service lock shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.