Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What would you do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
Starting next fall I'll be going to grad school full time in Philly (Drexel Univ) for at least 2 years. Since I live in Philly, I basically won't need a DD anymore. I'll be biking or taking mass transit. Actually, I won't need any cars but hey, the aircooleds aren't going anywhere. So the question is, do I sell my DD Miata? Well, for those of you that loathe Miatas, pretend it is something else. Its kinda beat up from being in Philly so in a market of low mileage always garaged weekend warriors it isn't worth too much, maybe about 5k (vs 7k+ for a primo example). The thing is, in 2 years when I start working again, it will probably be nice to have a DD again with AC, etc. I probably wouldn't get another Miata if I did sell this one, but I certainly wouldn't mind having it because its reliable, I know its history, and I generally don't give a shit about it. I also have the option of storing it for free in my parents garage up in NY State. So this is the way I see it

1) Keep the Miata, store it in my parents garage, pay minimal insurance if any (no-op), potentially deal with mice, and then in 2 years (maybe 5 if I stick it out for a PhD) I'll start using it again.

2) Sell the Miata, get about 5k, then in 2+ years buy another DD spending at least 5k to get it (taking a gamble that the "new" DD is as reliable).

I see pluses and minuses to both. I'm not hurting for cash so thats not an issue but I also obviously don't want to throw money away. So what would you do?

-Chris
ericread
This is probably a real illogical answer, but i would have a real difficult time parting with my teener. If you can easily afford it, I would keep it and save it for summers and later years. Easy to say if it's not taking room up in my garage...

Good luck with the decision.
RJMII
Do you really want to rely on your mom for a ride somewhere when you go up for a visit?
type11969
I wouldn't be parting with my teener, just my DD Miata that, while it does have some character, is pretty replaceable.

I can drive my bus/beetle just about anywhere right now (don't need a ride from Mom), but without ac in the summer it wouldn't be something that I wanted to do everyday. I won't need to since I'll have a 2 mile commute come the fall. Plus mass transit out of Philly isn't terrible, the money I save on no longer insuring the Miata will more than likely cover those costs for the few times I want to go out of the city (and don't want to drive one of my AC cars).

-Chris
RJMII
I think I'd sell... if it's not something you'd go buy again, why keep it?

Since storage is free... you could test the waters to see how life is with out it.
VaccaRabite
Sell the DD. When you are out of grad school, you will have a whole slew of other options.

Sorting a car that has sat for a number of years could be more of an issue then just getting a new one. Plus, it gives you "free" money for books and such.

Zach
blitZ
Sell the Miater, it will just sit and depreciate in value.
effutuo101
agree.gif If you sell it now, you could buy one of those Primo ones in a few years with the money you have in the bank.
markb
agree.gif Sell it. It sounds like you have something to drive when you're home without it, so no need to hang on to it.
Joe Bob
Dump it....get yer "Man Card" back..... av-943.gif
charliew
Sell it put the money in a roth ira or a retirement account at TROWE PRICE and think of me in about 40 years when it buys a new porsche for you.
Charliew
type11969
QUOTE(Beanie Boy @ Mar 31 2008, 12:37 PM) *

Dump it....get yer "Man Card" back..... av-943.gif

Ha, I was waiting for a comment like this. Ehh, its not like my Beetle and 914 are very manly either. The Miata is definitely fun to drive and always works . . .

Selling it seems like the best bet, thats the way I was leaning just curious to hear some other opinions. It would be a real drag to have to sort it out in 2+ years after sitting, just not as rewarding working on it as on the AC'ed cars. And a mice infestation would be a real chore.

So who wants an 8 year old Miata?

-Chris
Joe Bob
How much? My hairdresser needs a car.....

As do my twins.....seriously...how much?
type11969
You have a hairdresser? That may be more immasculating than having a Miata. May be . . .

I need it for another 3 months until I quit my current job (and 60 mile round trip commute). I haven't looked really that seriously into selling it so I'm not sure about the price. If you will still be interested in 3 months I can contact you then. Shipping the car across country probably won't be worth it but I am coming out to CA shortly after I quit. Maybe we can work something out where I drive it out there.

-Chris
Sleepin
Sell it to Ferg! He likes Miatas! biggrin.gif
degreeoff
Sell it! One less competitor @ AutoX's
type11969
Wouldn't you rather it sit in a garage then for 2+ years? It would make a good track/autox car for someone since it isn't pristine.
dude i wouldnt store. because after it comes out of storage stuff will need to be replaced some parts are better of being used than sitting for all that time. besides you can use the extra cash for the teener. when you get back to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.