Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why you shouldn't demean our teeners!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
Back ground refresher:

As I have stated in my other thread my 914 was supposed to have been re-restored starting last Oct. The body shop had agreed to do this because the E coating step had somehow been overlooked. The shops insurance company got involved and that when things went terribly wrong! They decided that the car was totaled. I got an offer of $4,750.00, SWEET! I declined their more than generous offer and opted for the binding arbitration. This whole process last for 6 months!! Well the decision finally came today. The arbiter decided in my favor.

Before I get to the amount awarded I want to take this opportunity to thank George from AutoAtlanta. George did my original appraisal back in 2004. George also contributed to the arbitration process. He has taken his fair share of lumps from us, but without George I would not have been awarded the following amount:

$38127.00

So a very big thanks to George for his help!!

The arbiter based his award on George’s appraisal, the amount I have invested in my 914 and in part because of all the award it has won from all over the country. So thanks to all of you as well.

I think this show at least to me, that it is not a waste of money to invest in your 914.

The current plan is to finish this show season and then start the re-restoration this coming fall.

ericread
WOW!!! [size=7]

beerchug.gif
Ferg
beerchug.gif
Bartlett 914
Woo Hoo! Way to go!

So will the same company do the work including the missing e-coat or will this go somewhere else? From what I read from previous posts, it looked to me like they had a pretty good setup for body dipping.
iamchappy
OMG thats incredible.....

I have a pre court settlement hearing next week mine has been going on for 14 years!
I hope i have it go in my favor as it has for you.
akellym
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 31 2008, 02:25 PM) *

Woo Hoo! Way to go!

So will the same company do the work including the missing e-coat or will this go somewhere else? From what I read from previous posts, it looked to me like they had a pretty good setup for body dipping.

Well unfortunately that company (e coat and dipping) and others will no long talk to me, let alone work on my 914. This is due to the insurance company’s “expert” constantly bugging them. So they have been scared off. I will have to locate a different company now.

The shop that did the paint will continue to be my choice for painting.
minndodger
Wow. Nice work by the good Doctor.
Pnambic
Congrats Kelly!

I know your car took home its share of awards from the FFC's and deservedly so. That car was gorgeous. Were any of those awards used to help establish the car's value? I'd like to think a couple of my votes may have helped you out. smile.gif
akellym
QUOTE(Pnambic @ Mar 31 2008, 02:50 PM) *

Congrats Kelly!

I know your car took home its share of awards from the FFC's and deservedly so. That car was gorgeous. Were any of those awards used to help establish the car's value? I'd like to think a couple of my votes may have helped you out. smile.gif

Yes they were, it was my contention that the insurance company couldn’t compare my 914 to the daily drivers they were using as comparison (they weren’t even nice DD’s)
r_towle
Is there any way you could put a simple summary on this long story?
charliew
I don't know this story but the question that comes to my thoughts is how can a shop do a paint and body restoration after getting a body that is supposed to have gone through a e-coating procedure? Is the appearance of the body the same before and after? I would think not? Did someone go to sleep? Including the owner?
I guess when I have time this will be a good story.
Charliew
Gint
Kick ass! That's good news Kelly.
rick 918-S
Don't under-estimate the value of your work. The important thing to remember here is Kelly spent some serious money on this car. He invested time in procurring parts and gathering detailed records of the work and money spent. He went the distance and had George Hussey appraise the car and purchased insurance to protect his investment. When the shops insurance company attempted to settle with him he went the distance to prove his case. We will all benifit from this.

There are many many nice 914's. We drive them and enjoy them. But there are some 914-4's that are no longer the poor mans Porsche. This proves it.
TJB/914
Hi Kelly,

You have a beautiful 914 & congratulations on the settlement.

The real hero is George Hussey @ AutoAtlanta. Everyone owes him a big thank you for things he does to promote our loved 914.

Good going George, I'll buy you a beer when you turn 21. w00t.gif

Tom
akellym
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 31 2008, 04:26 PM) *

I don't know this story but the question that comes to my thoughts is how can a shop do a paint and body restoration after getting a body that is supposed to have gone through a e-coating procedure? Is the appearance of the body the same before and after? I would think not? Did someone go to sleep? Including the owner?
I guess when I have time this will be a good story.
Charliew

How it happened will be one of the universes great mysteries. The body shop sub-contracted out the dipping and metal prep. That shop has gone out of business and has never replied to any request for information. An eye brow or two has been raised as to how this all happened. Suffice to say the body shop over the last four years has taken care of any problems I have had at no cost to me. The body shop end up turning this over to their insurance company to try and get this solved. They have gone out of their way to accommodate me on this. I had only one option and that was to sue the body shop, I couldn‘t go after the metal prep shop even if I wanted to. They were a sub, so legally I would have to sue the general to get to the sub. I have known the body shop owners and employees for 20+ years. I told them that I did not wish to sue anyone; I just wanted the “mistake” corrected. They have always claimed it was the fault of the prep shop. I don’t know nor do I care who was at fault as long as it was corrected. So for months after their insurance got a hold of this, I was told that the car would be fixed by the insurance rep. We all agreed on Oct 2007 as a start date for re-restoration. Oct came and went, nothing happened. In November I received a letter from the insurance companies making their more than fair offer (not). They totaled my car because they said it would cost more to correct the mistake than the car was worth. I could either accept their offer of $4,750.00 or agree to binging arbitration. Well…. It would literally take pages to explain the arbitration, so you guys would have a firm grasp of the gaggle of so called experts the insurance company used. I was fortunate enough to have a vast wealth of knowledge and real experts of my own to turn to for guidance. In the end it worked out, it took a long time to get to the end but it was worth the effort.
orange914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Mar 31 2008, 02:53 PM) *

Hi Kelly,

You have a beautiful 914 & congratulations on the settlement.

The real hero is George Hussey @ AutoAtlanta. Everyone owes him a big thank you for things he does to promote our loved 914.

Good going George, I'll buy you a beer when you turn 21. w00t.gif

Tom

beerchug.gif when the insurance wanted to total our 73', auto atlanta helped save our 914, along with additional research on the value. you HAVE to kick them in the butt with reality or they will gladly total a car (especially if you just roll over). chair.gif

good going smilie_pokal.gif

mike

Pat Garvey
OK, excuse my ignorance here. Must have been hanging in the concours forum for too long. What happened here? And, to spare boring everyone else, a PM is OK.

I worry about similar things since my 914 will hit the road in May or June, after spending a considerable amount of time OFF the road. By the time it hits the road again, just about every aesthetic & mechanical parts outside of the engine/trans will have been replaced.

Don't think George has ever seen my 914 but it has won 38 concours award, including 2 Parades. In better condition than ever before, but it hasn't even competed in 12 years.

I'm the original ownr & this car will die with me, because I have no one interested to leave it too. But, I'm a long way from dying & I worry about someone pranging him when I start sing him again.

That's why I want to know the background to this story. Sorry to everyone if I'm forcing a repeat of the circumstances.
Pat
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 31 2008, 05:55 PM) *

That's why I want to know the background to this story.

just scroll two posts up ...
poke.gif rolleyes.gif smoke.gif Andy
Engman
Your car is worth at least that - the attention to detail is simply amazing.

The last FFC - the voting was split between you and Garold (he had just completed a ground up restore with a perfect paint job - not to mention he was one of the hosts) anyways the vote was real close with Garold barely beating you.

I cant bear the thought of your car being stripped, disassembled and painted. Its like destroying a masterpiece.

Have you thought of obtaining another one with your settlement? Perhaps a rust free Cal. car? Raby engine?

Mark
newto914s
please excuse my ignorance but
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
akellym
QUOTE(newto914s @ Apr 1 2008, 09:34 PM) *

please excuse my ignorance but
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Click to view attachment
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

What always impressed me about Kelly and his 914 is ( besides the paint,interior, and intention to detail) he drives it. Not a trailer queen. About any meet i go to there is Kelly AND HIS SON. Great guy,great 914. Very nice to hear of the good guy winning for a change!! Dave slap.gif
Root_Werks
Good for you! Hope your car gets all fixed up now. driving.gif
rhodyguy
the must have been a few long faces when the arbitrator dropped the gavel. phenomenal settlement. final and binding? wow...

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.