Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh what a find!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
In the front trunk of the car I just bought there was a new cylinder head still in the box. (rocker studs and valves included) I thought it was worth about $300. Now that I have the car at home I looked it up at AA and found a rebuilt one for $950. PP has new ones listed for $1366. Nice to have as a spare or could sell and recoup the total value of the car. This deal just keeps getting better.
plymouth37
Wow, nice find! All I found in my car when I bought it was a 20 year old pack of swisher sweets!
tracks914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Mar 31 2008, 06:08 PM) *

Wow, nice find! All I found in my car when I bought it was a 20 year old pack of swisher sweets!

Depending on the rust and humidity in the car, the Swishers might still have been Ok. smoke.gif smoke.gif
Krieger
Hey, thats my cyl head. I remember leaving it in that exact car oh....maybe 14 years ago. Please return.
Thanks
Mark Henry
My parts car had new OE clutch and brake cables in the trunk.

Even trade?laugh.gif

Nice find.
davep
That is an excellent score. Many years ago I picked up a set of VW remanufactured heads (914 2.0) for about $300 when a dealer was closing up. Since then I have always had a spare set.
FourBlades

All I found in my car was a parking ticket from somewhere in California from the 80s (down inside the defroster tubes). The car is now rusting in Florida so it has been around...

John
736conver
2nd 914 parts car I bought had a saratoga top in the rear trunk. I could hardly contain my excitement when I was haggling the car down to $200.
jesiv
How much for the swisher sweets! piratenanner.gif
chris914
Not as good as everyone else’s: In ~1985 when I was in college I bought a 67 Dodge Dart GT from a friend. He got it from his grandmother. It was a nice car when he got it. He smashed in the driver’s door and threw all his trash in the back seat. I bought the car from him for $120 when he got bored with it. I kidded him about cleaning out the thrash. He said everything came with the car. When I was cleaning it out I found a still crisp 1967 $20 bill under the seat. When I told him about it he said he wanted the $20 bill and he was serious. He actually got upset with me when I said no, lol. I kept it for awhile until I got hungry, the $20 bill that is.

All I found in my 914 when I bought it was some loose change and rust. driving.gif
wertygrog
Scored a 6 spring clutch/PP and a free strip club pass (expired '94) with mine! biggrin.gif
Dominic
If you plan on using it someday, do yourself a favor and have the valve seats replaced at a minimum. You will be better off in the long run.

Jake Raby
The problem will now be finding a matching head that will offer the correct valve deck and chamber volume...

I agree that those seats need to be replaced before the head is ever ran, the same with those valve springs.
tracks914
Looking at the labels on the box, it appears to have been warranty work from the original dealership. If that is the case, then there might be a chance that the heads on the car are the same.
Either way, the engine on the car, once I get it started and heat cycled a few times doesn't leak oil yet but I plan on putting it on my engine stand and freshen it up a bit. Once I get it running, do a compression test and check for leaks I'll know just how deep into it I will go. With only 42k original miles, I don't think it will be worn out.
BTW on my '72, when I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump cycle and shut off once pressure is built up. If I turn the ignition off and back on again I can hear it cycle again. On this car ('75) with the pump in the front I didn't notice or hear the pump kick in. Is this common or should I still be able to hear it. I have not yet checked it for power. I know I don't have any spark but thats as far as I went last night. We are getting dumped on 25cm (9 inches) of snow today so I don't think I will do any trouble shooting tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.