Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selling the 914 for a kick ass bus!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I havent been able to sleep as I have been wracking my brains about whether to sell the 914 for a great bus, or not to. I have reached a decision and am going to sell my car. I have a bus in mind and it will be a great candidate for all of the bastardization that I have in mind while still being very solid. The part of the plan that sold me was that a bus can store its own parts. Its like a mobile storage unit for itself. I can free up my much needed garage space smile.gif
I know, thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif I will get some as soon as one of my contacts takes some for me. I hope I am still welcome here blink.gif smile.gif
Rusty
Dude... this HAS to be April Fools... wink.gif

Tell us it's not real.
Dr Evil
Its not the Vicodin talking biggrin.gif
degreeoff
well there goes going fast........NOT that I have anything against a bus, I had 2 as a kid but ???? WTF.gif are you tinking man??
type11969
Really? After all that work you put into that 914, all those headaches, you aren't going to drive it for a while first? Wow, you must want a bus more than I thought.

Well, with how sweet your 914 is I would think you could get a bus and a 914 driver with the proceeds of the sale. Unless you are getting some 21 window jobbie.

Good luck, curious to see the pics of this beast that drove you to parting with that rad teener.

How are the jaws doing?

-Chris
Mark Henry
Don't want to give a big pro & con in case this is a AF joke...

But...you can't AX a bus and you can't camp in a 914.
jtf914
Happy April Fools happy11.gif

Here's one with a 2.2 flat six for sale if you're looking:

http://hartford.craigslist.org/car/614646017.html
Dr Evil
Why would someone put an air cooled engine in a water cooled bus (80)?

I am doing a similar thing, but with the turbo corvair engine and an air cooled westy driving.gif
type11969
Vanagons were aircooled until 82 or 83

They also readily melted.
fitsbain
OK OK

I'll get the pics up soon ok.

I should see it tonight.
SGB
How about this one:
jet bus
ericread
wacko.gif

Why not a Ford Pinto conversion while you're at it???
Wannabe 914-6 owner
VW vans, we used to call them parachutes laugh.gif
Trevorg7
Dude WTF.gif

T
PanelBilly
Get a SCHOOL BUS! One of the shorty ones and put a big ass engine in it.
Gint
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 1 2008, 07:29 AM) *

Why would someone put an air cooled engine in a water cooled bus (80)?

I am doing a similar thing, but with the turbo corvair engine and an air cooled westy driving.gif
Probably for similar reasons a guy would sell a 914 (with a 6 yet) and buy a vanagan!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Wannabe 914-6 owner @ Apr 1 2008, 06:53 AM) *

VW vans, we used to call them parachutes laugh.gif

It would appear you never rode in The Thunderbus. True, I used to have to pull over on long, winding roads to allow traffic to get around me, but mostly so I COULD PASS 'EM ALL AGAIN! Probably the most fun vehicle I've ever owned, both in terms of utility and being a sleeper (in both definitions!).

The Cap'n
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 1 2008, 05:58 AM) *

...which is why, with both at your disposal, ANYTHING is possible! cheer.gif

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Apr 1 2008, 08:44 AM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif

Sold my first 914 in 1977 and bought a '72 bus - really missed the 914 but loved the bus. Fast forward to 2005 when I bought an '87 Westy and a couple of months later a '74 2.0 914. Best combination of vehicles I've ever had!

Now I'm in the process of putting a 3.3L subiesix in the Westy so I can tow the teener....Starship Narpfignugen. Did you know that the Vanagon wheelbase is only 13mm more than a 914?

Rand
Buses are for hauling things. The EvilBus hauls ass...

Click to view attachment
plas76targa
This reminds me of that scene in blazing saddles when the sherif held his own gun to his throat..threateining to shoot himself

... and the crowd said "He'll do it! He'll do it"

this is not a funny April fool joke!
Dr Evil
Alright, alright, April Fools. I was up at 4am due to my meds keeping me awake and figured this would be a good one to try. BUT, you a-holes know me too well grouphug.gif I will never sell my car unless I get bored with it and will be selling it for 2 more biggrin.gif

The thunderbus was one bad ass piece of machinery and I will likely mimic it some day. I like the idea of the H6 suby transplant as well. biggrin.gif
degreeoff
There is a guy round here, Scott G. He has a suby turbo in a vanagon....nice ride for an ugly new body bus
ericread
NOW, with all of that BS behind us, how much are you selling the car for?
Trevorg7
I was up at 4am due to my meds

Better living through chemicals!

thumb3d.gif

T
Mark Henry
My bus before it went back together, I need to take some new pics.

Once together and after a couple of times around the block we gave it a 2500km shake down drive to PEI and Nova Scotia
aktion035.gif

Edit:
Doesn't want to let me link a pic from my blog....if you want to see my bus I guess that's where you'll have to look.
zymurgist
Dammit Mike.

I had already lined up a flatbed to come up to Hershey.
ericread
OK - Now for the overall grade: B-

Don't get me wrong, the idea was good and Mike almost pulled it off, but those of us that follow Dr. Evil's postings here would never believe this stunt for a second. For the idea he receives an A. For his presentation he receives an A-. Being first on the board to present an April 1 prank certainly deserves an A. However, the plausibility of this being a true desire to rid himself of his "cherished" 914 really dropped this down to the B-.

Now we all have to wait to see if e gets voted off the island (time for a survey???)

Dr. Evil - thanks for laughs laugh.gif
jimtab
Mike, Mike, Mike....you really need to find something to do to fill your time.... av-943.gif
Joe Bob
Step AWAY from the BONG....slowly, slowly....take a deep breath and go play in the sand box....
fitsbain
OK,

I got the pics of Evil's new ride...

Er house...

Got to deal with all those school loans you know.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My son not included.
fitsbain
It already has 5 bolt wheels.

Click to view attachment

Comes with a HH

Click to view attachment

And I found this inside

Click to view attachment

Can we call this the Evil Abode?
type11969
Comes with a kid too? Score. I hear they go for good money on the black market these days.

I wonder how the top turned red like that. What is it, a 76?

A straight swap for your 914 is a fair deal.

-Chris
euro911
only got two things to say ...

... and

popcorn[1].gif
ericread
Well, the ad said it was rust free...
KELTY360
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 2 2008, 07:55 AM) *

Well, the ad said it was rust free...

I think it meant free rust.
racerx9146
I hear you, a 914-6 and a Vanagon are the best of both worlds. Mine is 3. 3 subie powered as well!

Here they are next to each other

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 1 2008, 09:38 AM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif

Sold my first 914 in 1977 and bought a '72 bus - really missed the 914 but loved the bus. Fast forward to 2005 when I bought an '87 Westy and a couple of months later a '74 2.0 914. Best combination of vehicles I've ever had!

Now I'm in the process of putting a 3.3L subiesix in the Westy so I can tow the teener....Starship Narpfignugen. Did you know that the Vanagon wheelbase is only 13mm more than a 914?

Eric_Shea
Lava... do you live next to Pete Newport?
type11969
Is that a syncro? Either way, nice ride.

QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Apr 2 2008, 07:52 AM) *

I hear you, a 914-6 and a Vanagon are the best of both worlds. Mine is 3. 3 subie powered as well!

Here they are next to each other

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 1 2008, 09:38 AM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif

crash914
Damn, AF joke....I was going to buy your bike.....bummer...
markb
I was just asked to replace a wiring harness in a 72 914, and in talking with some mutual friends, found out the guy has a nice 71 Bus with a Corvair motor. I'm going to be taking a bunch of pics. smile.gif
richardmosselman
Click to view attachmentMust be something in the air! Bought an '85 Westie yesterday. Better update the sig! R
beech4rd
I've owned VW Kombis since the split window busses and of all the rear engined ones, I liked my synchro best. However, I bought a Eurovan with the VR6 engine and the MV weekender package and I can't imagine reverting to an old Type3. The Euro (T4) will easily crack 100mph and is almost as tractable as the Synchro. But of course VW, marketing geniuses that they are, replaced it with the Touareg. Which gets terrible gas mileage and you can't get a sheet of plywood in it.
And why bother with Subie engines when you can do this
http://www.dls-automobile.de/view.php?idx=...mp;x=49&y=4
And it's for sale for only E29,991.00
Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.