Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front ball joint thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
i love porsche
does anyone know the thread size/type for the front ball joint at the outer part of the A arm?

much appreciated

-Aaron
TeenerTim
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Apr 1 2008, 11:13 AM) *

does anyone know the thread size/type for the front ball joint at the outer part of the A arm?

much appreciated

-Aaron

Are you referring to the threads of this?
IPB Image
i love porsche
no, sorry the thread of the part that inserts into the strut housing
Cap'n Krusty
If I understand your revised question, the threads on the early struts (not the ring on the A-arm) are 10mm x 1.5. Most of those struts are worn beyond use, BTW.

The Cap'n
i love porsche
im actaully talking about the ball joint connection to the bottom of the strut housing, im pretty sure its threaded in there. the large spanner like nut connects the ball joint to the control arm, and then the ball joint has its shank go into the strut housing, i need the thread on that part

thanks
Joe Ricard
Not threaded. just shoved up in there with a hafl round cut out for the bolt to go in (early)
and a notch cut in the ball joint shaft which is still just stuck up in there and held with a wedge bolt.

Pull the bolt and knock the strut loose from the control arm / ball joint.
Cap'n Krusty
If this is on your '74, VERY carefully remove the tapered pin. DO NOT hit the unprotected 8mm threads. Loosen the nut a couple of turns, liberally soak the area with a good penetrant, and tap the end with a brass or lead hammer. WD-40 is NOT a penetrant. TAP, not beat. Keep after it and it'll come out. As it moves, loosen the nut some more. As it's a wedge fit, it should come free after just a little axial movement.

The Cap'n
i love porsche
im actually trying to figure out the diameter of that part so i know how to properly size a rod end im using in my senior project design...anyone know what that diameter is?

thanks for all the help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.