Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tail shift problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markwemple
Stock '70 914/4. Bought recently and just beginning to drive it. For some reason, I don't have the 4-5 plane. Replaced the 2 bushings in the tunnel and adjusted the front shift point as far as it will go but when I try to go for 4 or 5, it is as though it hits a wall. I haven't gotten underneath it yet to replace the 3 other bushings but how much more adj. is available and could it be an internal problem (gawd I hope not!)
rhodyguy
how about the ball pivot bushing on the post that screws into the lower firewall?

k
markwemple
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 2 2008, 06:09 AM) *

how about the ball pivot bushing on the post that screws into the lower firewall?

k

Haven't fone that yet. Will be installing the 2 remaining sleeve bushings and the two cup bushings. I am hoping that will fix it or allow me enough "feel" to undertand what is going on. Still has about as much "feel" as a microbus.
Red-Beard
You also need to look at the shifter.

http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/rebuild/

There is also typical wear that occurs just inside the plate under the back of the transmission.
rhodyguy
actually there are 2 pivot balls. the exploded diagram on p.90 of your haynes shows them all. the tail shift system is so convoluted. i think your going to have to break down and do every bushing and pivot point. i think the other "wear" area james refering to can be seen on p.86 fig 5.21. the cover plate is item 9. gear lube will POUR out when you remove it. be prepared.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.