Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On topic: Gas Prices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
Rediculous. Insane, uncalled for, nutty. $1.82 for pareeemium last night, I went numb, and forgot til just now...

$28 bucks a tank.

My
iiibdsiil
I'm seeing 1.93 for premium all over the place down here. Ranges for 1.83 - 1.99. No one really wants to break the $2.00 boundry around here.

- Brett Smith
Mark Henry
What are you whining about? Here it’s around $2.80/gal. for regular. (.70/L)

Premo is over $3.00!!!
rhodyguy
that's ok miles. WE'RE GOING TO MARS!!!

kevin
redshift
Kevin, you go to Mars.

laugh.gif

Oh, pack a lunch, and take whatever spare change you find on the dresser, I'm broke.

M
Bruce Allert
I'm so glad (sounds like a song!) the "Beaver" takes reglar. What with a 60 gal. tank & 7 miles to the gallon... you do the math headbang.gif

............b
redshift
60x7 is... uh... 70,343.... OH MY GOD!

I am glad I at least have a good education, it's something I am going to need to get me through life.

M
crash914
I did check out prices in France this week...

In Paris, 1.08 euro per liter....with the exchange rate at about .86 per euro...thats $1.26 per liter or $4.75 per gallon......yikes!!!
RON S.
Everytime gas climbs,I smile as I fill the tank in my 3 banger
Geo.
$10.00 per fillup & 500 miles per tank full.
320,000 miles and still hangin in there.Hey OPEC finger.gif
Ron
fiid
Get used to it. There's only a finite amount of oil - ultimately it's going to get a lot worse yet.

My next performance upgrade will most likely involve a fuel cell, or some kind of small nuclear device.
Bleyseng
yep, when I drove to Kohn from Amsterdamn this fall it cost over $100 in gas. Driving a POS Opal that get great gas mileage too.

Gas around $1.80 for premium here.

Geoff

I am still trying to figure out why my Ranger 3.0 gets only 13 mpg now.
need4speed
But I thought we stole Iraq's oil. What happened to all the Iraqi oil? Oh yeah, that's right, Halliburton thinks a fair price for gasoline is $2.65.

I'm gonna buy a diesel. They won't f*ck with the supply of diesel.
Steve Thacker
What I don't understand is why the price of gas on the left coast is more expensive? WTF?
Its the same darn gas! Is there something going on here that I don't see. You fellas out there pay three prices for the same darn thing we do here in the midwest (items). Me thinks someone is getting ripped off (calif consumers).
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
Adjusted for inflation we pay about the same or less for gas than we did in the 1920s. Even at $2.00 a gal. it's still a bargain. We don't want to take advantage of the Iraqi oil because then it would look like we only went there for the oil and we all know that's not true. Right? flag.gif
beerchug.gif Cheers, Elliot
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Jan 16 2004, 10:46 AM)
What I don't understand is why the price of gas on the left coast is more expensive? WTF?
Its the same darn gas! Is there something going on here that I don't see. You fellas out there pay three prices for the same darn thing we do here in the midwest (items). Me thinks someone is getting ripped off (calif consumers).

There are three reasons we pay more for gas on the left coast. No. 1 -- taxes. No. 2 -- taxes and the third reason we pay more for gas out here is -- you guessed it TAXES! headbang.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Steve Thacker
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
need4speed
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Jan 16 2004, 10:46 AM)

The problem is, it's NOT the same darn gas.

At least that's the excuse the oil companys whine about.

I drive past oil wells on my way to work. They pump the crap out of the ground here. In fact, I live near Pismo Beach - "Pismo" is a Chumash Indian word meaning: "black gooey crap the seeps up out of the ground".

And I paid $1.86 for 87 octane gasoline today.

Taxes, yeah, sure, I don't mind paying my fair share, as long as it's spent wisely and not scammed into somebody's pocket. Roads cost money. Schools cost money. Military costs money.

But California environmental regs ask for special blends. The oil companies call them "botique" blends, because they don't want to do them, and they want to make everyone think that it's a big difficult deal to provide clean fuel, low sulfer-content, etc. So they try to make it sound like Californians are a bunch of pansy crybabies, because we don't like breathing sulfuric acid like they do in Houston - after all, we're just a bunch of transplanted spoiled rich liberal snow-birds. Not tough cowboys like they got in Texas. (Houston, by the way, is now smoggier than LA - because of these env. regs). So they use this as an excuse to jack up prices, while they work to get these laws backed-out. (it's on the Guvornator's agenda, by the way - I'm really glad I don't live in LA). Especially during times of supply-constraint, because having to provide two different kinds of gasoline taxes their storage and transport capacity.

Personally - I'm willing to also pay the few extra cents for the cleaner gas, if it means my valves don't get crudded up as quickly, or my muffler doesn't rust as quickly, or the forests don't get burned away by acid rain, or my kids don't die of asthma at age 10. As long as it's not some scam to fund a new sound system for the oil company CEO's third jet.
I mean, I'm a big boy, I'm a capitalist, and I understand supply and demand and free markets. I'm willing to pay extra for a quality product.

But gouging is gouging.

Diesel prices do fluctuate, but nothing like gasoline. They're not taxed as highly, there aren't as many regs for special blends (the blends are seasonal, and pretty much universal, as I understand), and if the big oil companies wanted to put the squeeze on consumers with diesel, nearly every other company would lobby against it, because they rely on diesel for transport of goods. I wouldn't like it if EVERYBODY switched to diesel, because it's another nasty pollution problem (fine-grained ash particles) - but one that can be solved with technology. (zeolite filters).

VW makes a Diesel engine that gets 50 mpg on the highway in the Beetle, Golf, and Jetta. Unfortunately, in 2004, they're banned in California.
Bleyseng
When I visited Amsterdam, most of Moniques family cars other than the minis were diesel. Way cheaper to run, they said.

Geoff
Hawktel
Russian has a tremendous oil supplies. They think the stuff in siberia would account for over 50% of all the oil the world ever had.

Oil companies suck.

Maybe someday I'll put a hydrogen Plant in my 914.
cnavarro
FYI they lifted the ban on diesel cars in CA. My parents almost bought a TDI a few months ago. Test drove it with them. If I needed another car, I would most definately think twice about getting a VW TDI.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
scottb
oooooh! going to england in a few weeks and looking forward to around 2.50GBP per imperial gallon which works out to about 4 oz american or maybe 5 grams of carbs on the atkins or right near 2367Kcal or just north of 45 degrees kelvin but should affect my wallet to the tune of pert near $4.10 per gallon. metric is cool.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(crash914 @ Jan 16 2004, 08:22 AM)
thats $1.26 per liter or $4.75 per gallon......

yupp, $2 bucks per gallon is still dirt cheap compared to "where i come from" wink.gif

Andy
redshift
That's because of TAXES.

There is no value in the price of fuel, the government likes OPEC to lower production, the taxes increase.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 16 2004, 08:19 PM)
That's because of TAXES.
There is no value in the price of fuel, the government likes OPEC to lower production, the taxes increase.

you are right.

only difference is that in germany they use those taxes to build (and maintain) nice roads to drive fast on.

would be interesting to see in whos pocket the gas taxes end up around here.
cause they sure ain't going into fixing up the roads ...

Andy
steve@ottosvenice.com
Crappy roads? More Taxes.Oh ya that money we take for the gas tax we put it in the general fund. Crappy Roads? More Taxes We spent this money on Junkets. Crappy Roads!! More Taxes. Well we over spent on the junket, We need more taxes. What about the crappy Roads!!! MORE TAXES
redshift
Steve, you missed your life's calling, you should be the Senator from the Great State of Cawifowneeah, the head of the House Ways, and Means Committee's special task force on road expenditures.

M
PatW
I bet I could make my own rocket fuel cheeper/better than stuff that comes out the pump now. It can't be all that hard. Get some books and start reading. I used to watch my dad make some killer beer in the basement. Get the right ingredents and reap. beer.gif
morph
$1.90 a gallon here for premium, The roads suck here, sure wish they would fix the roads around here with all that tax money I pay.
SirAndy
QUOTE(morphenspectra @ Jan 16 2004, 09:48 PM)
$1.90 a gallon here for premium, The roads suck here, sure wish they would fix the roads around here with all that tax money I pay.

what REALLY pisses me off ...

they re-do a road here with nice new asphalt and all, and they just freaking put it on top of the old, bumpy road WITHOUT making it level first.
sooooo, you end up with a nice new road that is just as bumpy as the old one. WTF? headbang.gif

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.