Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need your help - Engine identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctupton
I purchased this TypeIV engine to put into my project super beetle. I was told it was a 2.0 Bus engine, but when I looked up the serial number over on some of the type IV websites it said it was a 1.7 914 engine. Can anyone confirm this for me. Also Im wanting to rebuild it, besides the normal gasket kit, What other common parts should I plan on purchasing? I want to use as much of the existing engine as possible, but just want to make it run nice and reliable.

Please see site for pictures http://ctupton.googlepages.com/home *** click on picture for larger image

ANY info you can give me on this and best way to tackle it, is grateful, this is my first true project car.
ejm
welcome.png

Can't tell from the pic. What is the engine code/number you have?
ctupton
Sorry thought it showed up better... W0032895
scrz914
check "914 info" at the top of the page. "W" would be an early 70's case.
ctupton
Cool thanks!

Can anyone tell me if there are any common changes that people make to the engine when they rebuild them that I need to watch out for?... so far the only thing that is apparent to me is they converted it to a single carb. Not sure if it is common for people to put larger pistons or anything special. Just trying to get a feel for what I might run into when I rebuild this one. Or is it a straight shot just buy a rebuild kit for a 1.7 liter engine and run with it?

Thanks
Chris
davep
you will probably find much more info here:
http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/

BTW, single carbs are the worst thing to stick on to a type IV motor.
Where the heck is Keller?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(ctupton @ Apr 2 2008, 04:28 AM) *

Cool thanks!

Can anyone tell me if there are any common changes that people make to the engine when they rebuild them that I need to watch out for?... so far the only thing that is apparent to me is they converted it to a single carb. Not sure if it is common for people to put larger pistons or anything special. Just trying to get a feel for what I might run into when I rebuild this one. Or is it a straight shot just buy a rebuild kit for a 1.7 liter engine and run with it?

Thanks
Chris

There is only one rebuild kit out there for these motors, by Jake Raby. He offers several different ones-2056 and 2270 in various hps. Top quality kits.
You can look to restore the original FI or install a set of dual carbs both of which run alot better than the stupid cheapo single carb.
ctupton
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 2 2008, 08:38 AM) *

you will probably find much more info here:
http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/

BTW, single carbs are the worst thing to stick on to a type IV motor.
Where the heck is Keller?

Just north of Fort Worth Texas.. I'll edit my profile... kinda rushed it.
ctupton
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 2 2008, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(ctupton @ Apr 2 2008, 04:28 AM) *

Cool thanks!

Thanks
Chris

There is only one rebuild kit out there for these motors, by Jake Raby. He offers several different ones-2056 and 2270 in various hps. Top quality kits.
You can look to restore the original FI or install a set of dual carbs both of which run alot better than the stupid cheapo single carb.

I'm familiar with his site, helped me decide to do the TYPE IV conversion... Glad to see the Porsche people stand behind him as well... Thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.