Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT HDSat & Terrestrial to multiple systems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I've hashed this out with a number of folks, including one member here. I'm looking for real experience here.

I've got a Terk S25 Satellite Dish and a Terk TV50 terrestrial antenna similar to the TV55 on the link. I have two Samsung TRS160 HD/Sat receivers. I want both receivers to get HD Terrestrial as well as the sat.

Has anyone tried a multiswitch like the Spaun 3403 or Spaun 5402 to do this? In theory it's all really simple, but I don't want something that won't actually work, or loses signal quality/strength of the Terrestrial signal.

I was also considering an amplifier on the terrestrial signal and running a separate RG6 to each receiver, but, man, that's turning into spaghetti!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!
Gint
I haven't tried terrestial yet. I just bought (X-mas) a Hughes HD receiver for my DirectTV dish on the 55" Mitsu and managed to get my HD running on the measly 4 channels they provide. I must say, it's spoiled me for life. But no "over the air" yet. So I'm looking forward to hearing the responses to this thread.

I was also considering an amplifier on the terrestrial signal and running a separate RG6 to each receiver, but, man, that's turning into spaghetti!

My receiver will take the terrestial input without mucking with another multiswitch. BUT, I have another cable in the closet for the air line, and the family room with the HD big screen still has another unused drop available. I wired in extra drops when I finished the basement.
seanery
I've already got it on one. One is fairly easy. Just mount the antenna and diplex the antenna with the sat and undiplex it in front of the receiver. Voila! Your terrestrial HD should look as good if not a tad better than the DirecTV HD stuff.

My concern is loosing signal strength on the terrestrial end by being split, etc...
Gint
I hear ya. I don't know enough about the signal strength to answer the question for you though. Like I said, I'm looking forward to seeing the responses this thread gets. I hope to learn something also.
richardL
The Terk antennas - especially the TV55 and its friends are considered absolute junk by 'those who know' - I had a TV55 and it was useless. The best UHF antenna is considered to be the Channel Master 4228, which is a square mesh (36" X 36") with a network of elements just in front - so its only about 6" deep. When I bought that (Fry's $49) I was able to get much better OTA HD. All DirectTv HD receivers should accept an OTA input. You don not need to Multiswitch it with the Sat signal - different frequencies, format etc. You should be able to feed into the Ant. Input connector on the box. Generally HD OTA is better since it is not compressed.

All digital transmissions from Sutro are turned off most days during the day, while they do a Seismic retrofit - so the only reliable time to point the antenna is a Sunday. It will be like that into the summer unfortunately.

Also, of interest - DirectTV is going to carry the CBS HD signal before the Superbowl - they have a deal with CBS for areas where they own the local stations and we are in that situation here (I think you are in the Bay Area seanery?)

Much more info on avsforum.com where there are several HD specific forums.

HTH,
Richard
richardL
oops, I see your in Indy - so the CBS deal depends on whether your local affiliate is CBS Owned and Operated.

Richard
mr914
What is Sutro ??? huh.gif

I live in the northern detroit suburbs.

Samsung HD reciever and Mitsu 55" ws.

I use a Rectocon omni-directional antenna ($80) and a Rat-Shack uhf yagi ($20) for receiving all of my signals.

The Rectocon has a built in amplifier and I use an inline (antenna mount) amp for the yagi.

I combine them with a 2 way splitter, inject my other signals (vcr and DVD) and distribute it thru the house after amplifing.

I'm picking up HD signals from up to 100 miles away.

It all depends on the distance you are from the transmitters, and the terrain in between.

I'm 24 miles away.
Qarl
Sheez... what ever happened to good 'ole aluminum foil on rabbit ears?!?
Gint
Sheez... what ever happened to good 'ole aluminum foil on rabbit ears?!?

Miles scarfed 'em all up...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.