Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FreeMotion Suspension - Ordering TODAY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
IPB Image

Mike Mueller originally retailed a roller bearing replacement for the front and rear suspension. He gave the designs to me and I've finally priced all of the components out and am ready to start taking orders.

In case you're not familiar with what I'm talking about, you can look here.

I will need 10 people to pre-order in order to get the run going. The normal price will be $500 per car. But for anyone who gets in this first run, I'll be selling them at $450 a set.
Pre-Orders:
1. Andy
2. Steve
3. Clay
4. Eddie
5. Bruce
6. Ted
7. John
8. Bill
9. carlilq
10. Eric Shea
11. Mel
12. Rob

If there is enough interest in the fronts, I will make the rears available.

These bearings work with all 914 suspension, all 5 lug conversions, and all 69-89 911 suspension.

I'm sure a few people will post their experiences with the bearings, but when I installed a set, I KNEW the difference as soon as I drove the car out of the shop. Stock suspension DOES NOT COMPARE. These are a great improvement for daily drivers and race cars alike.

IPB Image
TravisNeff
smilie_pokal.gif Giddyup!
TedK
Mark, forgive the ignorance, but is this something you just ship to us and we install as a DIY, or do you require the suspension pieces shipped to you? If its DIY, I'm in for a set.

Ted K
rick 918-S
Ted, DIY, I have a set I haven't installed yet. They are really cool! aktion035.gif driving.gif
SirAndy
+1 ...

one set for the front please! biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Heeltoe914
I was going to try the PolyBronze Bushings now this. Can you please compare the two so I can decide? Avantages one way or the other?? Thanks Mark or anyone that can compare the two.
McMark
I have no first hand experience with PolyBronze. But looking at the factors, the PolyBronze has a 360* contact patch. So while they are smooth, there is still going to be more friction than the roller bearings. Roller bearings basically have zero friction. The PolyBronze people claim that a roller bearing will wear grooves in the race that will cause slop. I don't agree with that. While their logic IS correct, the important missing factor is HOW LONG DOES THAT TAKE? wink.gif Both PolyBronze and FreeMotion will wear out, but I don't believe either will happen in a short amount of time and I think both would be similar.

Either one is better than stock. I feel that my setup will have better performance than the PolyBronze.
ericread
For $450.00, do you get four sets of what your drawing shows, so that it includes the entire front end? Or would I need to order four sets, making the front end bearing replacement at $1,800.00?
McMark
That depends... are you willing to spend $1800? happy11.gif

J/K It's sold as a package. $450 does a whole front suspension.
Grimstead
icon_bump.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Porcharu
Dang! you beat me to it. I was just talking to Mike about making these for him an paying a small royalty and he told me you beat me to the punch. If you don't make the rears I will, and I want a front set.
Steve
Dave_Darling
Jeebus. I wish I had an extra $450 laying around. sad.gif

--DD
Brando
Hot diggity! If only I were rolling in cash.

Price on rear sets? And... any chance you can make an actual seal setup for the rears as opposed to the "RTV this O-Ring in place..." method?
blitZ
What is installation like with the roller bearing compared to bushings? Is there a rubber boot or something to protect the bearing from the elements?
r_towle
Hi,
I did a group buy for the remaining stock of the original designers of these out here in the East.
I LOVE this setup.
Two things I would suggest.
To Mark,
Include the correct tube of Loktite in the package. Its not so easy to source locally and halts the installation.

To the end customer.
Use marine based wheel bearing grease (for trailers) and forget about using any seals. the marine based grease is waterproof, sticks like snot, and does not wash out.

The system does require periodic maintenance, but with two years on mine, I have not re-greased them yet.

When you put them in, there are a few simple tricks that logic will make apparent.
Do not force the bearing onto the shaft....grease it up and slide it on slowly...make sure it spins freely...if not, take it off, line up the needle bearings and do it again.

Remove the ball joint, dont do this with the ball joint attached to the strut (on the car) it creates a problem. Seen it, fixed it...stupid approach.

When you install these, the a-arm should and will swing freely when mounted to the car. No other system will move like this.
Keep tuning the front cover till there is zero friction and the arm swings perfectly, then put the ball joint back in.
Like I said, I have fixed this on more than one car, and this was done by guys with lifts.

I remove the a-arm all together, get it nice and clean with power tools, and setup the whole system off the car (you need to let the locktite dry overnight...really)

Overall and awesome system.

The one thing I also noticed is that the hardened washers...
Some cars need more than others, it would be a good option to be able to order more of those...not the thrust washer, but the flat hardened washers that capture the thrust washer.

Great setup, once per the life of the car.

Rich
ClayPerrine
I am in... and I want a rear set when you make those. I wanted a set of these for a long time.

DAMN.... it just means that I am going to have to pull the rear arms another time to replace the bushings. I am starting on them tonight to replace the rear bearings.

r_towle
One more thing if you consider manufacturing the rear bearing kit.

Consider offering the entire thing turn key.
By this I mean a full refurbished rear trailing arm, cleaned, powdercoated, new wheel bearing and front bearings installed.

I found it alot easier and less stressful to take another rear trailing arm set and take my time to do this. Then its a bolt in project on the car.

Its one of those "while you here" kinda things that can get out of hand and take to long. You could sell them on a swapped basis, just to retain quality control and not become the tech support guy...the rears take more talent to do right...

Rich
McMark
Good point Rich, these will ABSOLUTELY be available at a pre-installed price (according to my normal shop rates).

If I get a full order of the fronts, the rears will be no problem and probably won't be limited to the same 10 pre-order restriction.
scrz914
Maybe a silly question but...how does one determine that replacement of their stock bushings are necessary? Is there a test that can be done that will show you that the stock bushings are worn? What are the indications?
I've noticed that a lot of members have done a replacement with PolyBronze or PolyGraphite and now the roller bearings, so there must be a need to do this.
Or is it that people are doing whatever they can to improve their cars ride and value. I do get excited when I see cool new products come out for our cars and I was reaching for the $450 when I said to myself ..."self, you don't even know if you need this or not".
Maybe those that have done a replacement could chime in on the benefits.
McMark
Most of the time once the bushings wear out they literally fall out. This upgrade is more along the lines of getting the best working suspension possible. It's not so much "Ah, crap, my suspension's dead." It's more "I want it to feel SMOOTH!"
Eddie914
Put me down for a set.

Thanks

Eddie
ClayPerrine
McMark... you got enough participants yet????

GWN7
add me to the gang of ten
Jake Raby
I had a set of the originals in my old 914.... THEY ROCKED!!
neo914-6
someone should complete a front bearing installation, here's one for the rear
Grimstead
How difficult is the install for the front? Could a bone-head like me do it? I've got freshly powder coated A arms just sitting on my shelf (with a bunch of other front end stuff to go with them).
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 2 2008, 11:14 AM) *

Order 6 sets and I'll start production today. wink.gif

you forgot to put ted on your list, so if i'm counting right, that's 6 out of ten.

only 4 more to go!
w00t.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Grimstead @ May 2 2008, 12:32 PM) *

How difficult is the install for the front? Could a bone-head like me do it? I've got freshly powder coated A arms just sitting on my shelf (with a bunch of other front end stuff to go with them).

yes, installation is bone-head proof ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
McMark
Pretty damn easy is right. wink.gif
JmuRiz
So very tempting....I do have new-ish normal bushings on the front...but if it really is a night/day feeling I may have to consider.

Plus I have this Federal Tax relief money in my pocket as of today.

I wonder what the front and rears would feel like, hmmmm.
McMark
As I mentioned at the top, I could absolutely feel a difference after rolling 5 feet and driving over the 1/2" bump between the cement shop floor and the asphalt driveway. This is not an upgrade that you can sometimes, maybe feel under certain circumstances.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 2 2008, 01:52 PM) *

I wonder what the front and rears would feel like, hmmmm.

like riding on butter ...
chowtime.gif Andy
Grimstead
So let's say I get in on the fronts now and down the road you offer front/rear package. Will you honor that price for those of us who then buy the rears as well?
happy11.gif

PS I would take this offline but I think it may help make more orders in the end.
Gint
Yo McMark-us! Have docs written yet for the front install?
Root_Werks
Any issues with road noise transfer? These things look like they friggen rock! As soon as I'm done with my 2 job stint, I'll be in for front and rears I'm sure.

boldblue.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 2 2008, 03:58 PM) *

Any issues with road noise transfer?

nope. i'm running the rears for over a year now ...
driving.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
For you fence sitter's. I have no invested interest. I have had my car sence 1982,

seen alot of 'goodies' come and go. Most of them don't do a darn thing for your

car. There have been other runs of a simular product, limited runs. Every person

that got them and anyone that rode in that car basicly conveyed that it was a life

changing event, or at least car changing. They raved about the ride. I can not

afford them, but I wish I could. Like I said nothing invested here, just wanted to

share.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 2 2008, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 2 2008, 03:58 PM) *

Any issues with road noise transfer?

nope. i'm running the rears for over a year now ...
driving.gif Andy

Sweeeeeeet!
McMark
Bill, there won't be any issue for front set owners getting stand-alone rear sets.
Eric_Shea
Maybe a silly question but...how does one determine that replacement of their stock bushings are necessary? Is there a test that can be done that will show you that the stock bushings are worn? What are the indications?

You can usually check by measuring the top and the bottom of the stock bushing. Someone posted a picture of a fairly severe "out of round" condition on their front arm last week. After a while the suspension settles in the bushing. Take the nose cap off and look at the bushing.
FourBlades
AAARRRGGHHHH!!! I can't take it anymore I must have a set too!!!

Its not like I have a 914 problem, I just do it socially, and I can stop anytime
I want to! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

John
McMark
John's on the list... biggrin.gif boldblue.gif

Bill, to clarify, anyone who steps up for fronts right now will get 'deal' pricing on the rears. I won't let the people who made this run happen end up getting screwed financially by a special package deal later.

Likely, once rears are available the FreeMotion setup will only be available as a complete car package.
McMark
QUOTE(Gint @ May 2 2008, 03:52 PM) *

Yo McMark-us! Have docs written yet for the front install?

Not yet, but I'll document an installation and since I've done a few of these installs, I will be available to purchasers for tech support.
Chris Pincetich
The rear bushing switch to solid bearings is almost mandatory according to some 914 owners that have those heavy, powerful 6s like Andy. The engine will kinda torque the arms around in their flimsy rubber pivots, and wears out the hard plastic type pretty fast. Rears only would probably sell OK wink.gif

I am working at a snail's pace installing a set in my 1.7, because everything I read was so positive. There are lots of cracks and potholes in my neighborhood I'd like to drive over without skipping on the CD. beerchug.gif
Grimstead
QUOTE(McMark @ May 2 2008, 05:59 PM) *

John's on the list... biggrin.gif boldblue.gif

Bill, to clarify, anyone who steps up for fronts right now will get 'deal' pricing on the rears. I won't let the people who made this run happen end up getting screwed financially by a special package deal later.

Likely, once rears are available the FreeMotion setup will only be available as a complete car package.

Well then, count me in!
Andyrew
This is the setup guys!!

My rock solid car feels crisp and smooth, Yes I can feel the bumps in the road but its totally different! The car absorbs it because the suspension does the work faster and more efficiently!!

Keep in mind as you order this you will be softening up your suspension as you will be taking out the resistance from the bushings.

BTW im running front and rear from Mueller..
yarin
Nice concept!
I would be interested in a set of complete 4 lug rear trailing arms all prepped + powdercoated with FreeMotion bearings for a cost effective price. Maybe team up with PMBperformance and offer a package... smile.gif

Great work!
carlilg
Add me to the list! How close are we to getting this done?
Eric_Shea
I was just waiting so I could be #10 and act like the heee-ro tongue.gif
Eric_Shea
I would be interested in a set of complete 4 lug rear trailing arms all prepped + powdercoated with FreeMotion bearings for a cost effective price. Maybe team up with PMBperformance and offer a package...

We done been talkin... I've got some powder coated arms sitting here waiting. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.