Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Seinfeld rolls his Fiat!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=307987&GT1=7703

Sounds like he nearly bit the bullet. Lucky guy.
plymouth37
Just goes to show you that FIAT's are dangerous and should therefore never be driven.
Cap'n Krusty
WTF is a 1967 FIAT "BTM"?

http://jalopnik.com/375572/so-whats-up-wit...s-1967-fiat-btm

Maybe they meant "BEATER" ............................ The Cap'n
PeeGreen 914
Anyone notice that because it was a mechanical malfuction no summonses were issued? I'm glad he is okay, but if this were Joe nobody do you think he would have been fined? confused24.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 3 2008, 11:47 AM) *

WTF is a 1967 FIAT "BTM"?

http://jalopnik.com/375572/so-whats-up-wit...s-1967-fiat-btm

Maybe they meant "BEATER" ............................ The Cap'n

Was wonderin' that myself.....hah.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 3 2008, 12:02 PM) *

Anyone notice that because it was a mechanical malfunction no summonses were issued? I'm glad he is okay, but if this were Joe nobody do you think he would have been fined? confused24.gif

Probably not, but there'd be a bit of a delay before they determined the cause, so a ticket "could" still arrive in the mail. Beyond that, you think the guy that worked on the brakes still has a job? One phone call, and ...........................

The Cap'n
davep
Good thing it wasn't 911 #1; AKA 300049
ericread
The brakes went out???

Give me a break. Both the primary and emergency brakes magically stopped working? No notice of brake fade, not tell-tale signs of trouble, just a catastrophic failure? dry.gif

Every time a "star" hits a tree, the "Brakes went out!!!".

Could it be he was overdriving for the car and the conditions? idea.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like Seinfeld. I think he's a funny guy and he has always been a strong Porsche supporter. But with his Porsche seat time, I have a hard time believing he experienced a catastrophic failure of a primary saafety system with no earlier indications of a problem. dry.gif

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just a bit dubious.
Root_Werks
"Italian trash" - C.S.
brer
if you pop a rear wheel cylinder in a "early" drum brake car you will also lose your parking brake capabilities. Ask me how I know.
ericread
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 3 2008, 02:05 PM) *

if you pop a rear wheel cylinder in a "early" drum brake car you will also lose your parking brake capabilities. Ask me how I know.

I understand that such an event could happen, but wouldn't you know it was more than a "brake failure"? I assume that popping a rear wheel cylinder isn't a common ocurrance. But there I go, asumin again... rolleyes.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Could this be an in-your-face example of one of the "features" of SS braided Teflon brake lines ............................................... ? Well, Jerry, we're waiting .......

The Cap'n
brer
in my case the wheel cylinder piston extended too far and fell out of the cylinder under hard braking. Complete and instantaneous brake failure with no warning sign other that the pedal had more travel than usual. Alot more travel.
ericread
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 3 2008, 02:39 PM) *

in my case the wheel cylinder piston extended too far and fell out of the cylinder under hard braking. Complete and instantaneous brake failure with no warning sign other that the pedal had more travel than usual. Alot more travel.

So I would imagine you left some impressive skid marks...
brer
yes, but not on the road.
minndodger
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 3 2008, 05:05 PM) *

yes, but not on the road.

That's funny. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 3 2008, 12:59 PM) *

The brakes went out???

Give me a break. Both the primary and emergency brakes magically stopped working? No notice of brake fade, not tell-tale signs of trouble, just a catastrophic failure? dry.gif

happened to me in the 914! headbang.gif

a few years back when i was driving over the bay bridge to SF to work.
some guy cut me off and i had to hit the brakes hard. i got a loud "bang" and the pedal went to the floor. no brakes what-so-ever ... huh.gif

luckily, the 914 handbrakes are separate from the fluid circuit, so i used the handbrake to make it through commute traffic over the bridge.

shades.gif Andy
hydroliftin
On the New York Times’s Wheels blog, there was speculation that the car might really be a hardtop Fiat Dino that was called a “BTM” to indicate that it was designed by Bertone —who was based in Turin, Italy — and had en engine by Ferrari, which is based in Marinello.
914-8
At least it wasn't an X1/9.

God kills a kitten every time an X1/9 is taken off the road.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 3 2008, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 3 2008, 12:02 PM) *

Anyone notice that because it was a mechanical malfunction no summonses were issued? I'm glad he is okay, but if this were Joe nobody do you think he would have been fined? confused24.gif

Probably not, but there'd be a bit of a delay before they determined the cause, so a ticket "could" still arrive in the mail. Beyond that, you think the guy that worked on the brakes still has a job? One phone call, and ...........................

The Cap'n

Soup Line For You!!! (in best soup nazi voice) biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914-8 @ Apr 3 2008, 03:41 PM) *

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if what you say is true, it is another reason to spay and neuter cats...

I think I have a photograph somewhere of an X1/9 with its cute little nose poked into a pond. A little autocross excursion that wasn't designed into the course...

Just my opinion again but if you ask me the only good thing to come out of a Fiat is the Dellortos... I got mine!
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 3 2008, 04:02 PM) *

if you ask me the only good thing to come out of a Fiat is the Dellortos...

apparently, you've never driven a 500 ...
wub.gif Andy

ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2008, 05:12 PM) *

wub.gif Andy

No you are right about that but you guys from Europe had a different experience with Fiat than we did here.

They sent us CRAP!!!
carr914
QUOTE(914-8 @ Apr 3 2008, 06:41 PM) *

I think you have it backwords. Everytime an X1-9 is taken off the road, GOD shouts "Hooray, I didn't creat that POS"
davep

Just my opinion again but if you ask me the only good thing to come out of a Fiat is the Dellortos... I got mine!

The 914/6 GT door handles come from a Fiat.
The X1/9 makes the 914 look good.
euro911
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 3 2008, 12:49 PM) *
Good thing it wasn't 911 #1; AKA 300049
or 300189 either ...
STL914
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 3 2008, 01:05 PM) *

That exact thing happened to my son years ago in his Honda Prelude. On his way home from work, coming down a winding hill near our house, he lost his brakes due to the rear cylinder failure. Lucky there was a large oak tree to stop him and the car as he tried to turn right, up the street to the house. Car totaled, tree scratched, son unhurt but totally pissed!
brer
his mechanic is now parting the car.

laugh.gif

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/633572558.html
hcdmueller
Italian crap or not for some reason I still want one of these. Its not a Dino but it is interesting. Although, I don't think a Multipla goes fast enough to worry about brake failure.

KaptKaos
Multiplas rock!

That is all.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2008, 05:12 PM) *

wub.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

SGB
WTF.gif
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
beerchug.gif
stephenaki
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 3 2008, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(914-8 @ Apr 3 2008, 06:41 PM) *

I think you have it backwords. Everytime an X1-9 is taken off the road, GOD shouts "Hooray, I didn't creat that POS"

Almost picked up an X 1/9 as a project car back in Tennessee. I personally like the design of the car but I beleive that the safety requirements levied against the car to import into the US was one of the factors that made it unremarkable in power and overall performance.

Also understand that the X1/9 body is a rust magnet. Still might get one later on as a project car.

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Am I the only one who would have downshifted to first and let the engine slow me down? I realize that would toast the motor, but would it work to bring the car to a manageable speed, or would it just creat an uncontrollable skid/spin?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 8 2008, 12:30 AM) *

Am I the only one who would have downshifted to first and let the engine slow me down? I realize that would toast the motor, but would it work to bring the car to a manageable speed, or would it just creat an uncontrollable skid/spin?

It's a Fiat Ken. Sometimes you have to sacrafice the body to do what is right for the team. Jerry is a Porsche guy. He didn't downshift because he needed the speed to assure maximum damage... biggrin.gif
mightyohm
pssst, Fiat 500... engine is in the BACK.

So.Cal.914
It is in this one...3.6 I think.

Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
This thing actually looks like alot of fun.Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scotty b
Well I did my part for mankind. One X-19 and 1 kitten. Good riddance biggrin.gif
brer
actually, thats kind of bitchin without the window pillars.
auerbach
I believe that this was the car that he rolled"

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?S...4&Currency=
KaptKaos
QUOTE(auerbach @ Apr 10 2008, 09:53 AM) *

I believe that this was the car that he rolled"

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?S...4&Currency=

That would be a bummer. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.