Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dyno
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
J P Stein
Broke in the motor on a chassis dyno yesterday. Did a couple of pulls after 30-40 minutes of run time. Not bad right out of the box. Conservative timing & rich on the AF.
Heeltoe914
Thanks for posting But its to small to read?

What motor? What HP what Tq? Is this what you where after when you built the motor?
J P Stein
Hard to read, but I can see it......trifocals, ya know. biggrin.gif
198 hp, 190 ft lbs
A 2.7L 9eleben motor.

Sure, I'm happy with it...nuthin' broke. I'm gonna have to re-jet the mains as the AF ratio is 11.9 to 13.0 and pretty flat at 12.5ish above 4200 rpms.
degreeoff
I'd love to know what you have there,,,twin plug? cam, port sizes, comp ratio, induction.....
J P Stein
Single plug, 10.5:1 Mahles (race gas), Solex cams, 36mm intakes,35 exh, Webers on the tall manifolds....nuthin' trick. The cam is really good for AX.
The trans is also set up for AX.
drew365
That's great TQ. I havn't dyno'd mine since the last rebuild. Prior to that, on pump gas it was 197 hp, 165 tq.
J P Stein
Thanks, Andy.
It's built with torque in mind.

The torque multipliers :
The compression, tall aux venturi, balance tube type muffler, the cams......every little bit helps, me thinks. Peaky motors sux at AX unless you have one of them light switch transmissions.

The hp just comes with the package and I like that too. biggrin.gif I think there is more to be had with some fine tuning.
degreeoff
Sweet man...Gives me hope as my GE40 cams seem a bit more radical than yours and I am running the 9.8:1 pistons with the mac daddy crank fire so.......I should be right about where you are!
J P Stein
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Apr 6 2008, 07:34 PM) *

Sweet man...Gives me hope as my GE40 cams seem a bit more radical than yours and I am running the 9.8:1 pistons with the mac daddy crank fire so.......I should be right about where you are!

Ayup, your peak power should be right in there, maybe better.

As I said, mine is built for mid range rather than top end. Radical cams have their advantages and downsides.

I run a NOS 74 Euro Carrera dizzy & an MSD set up for ignition.

Downunderman
JP,

Which bit of the A/F don't you like? 12.5 above 4k all the way to the top is pretty close to the money, and probably too hard to improve on. The graph is a bit hard to read even with multifocals.

H
byndbad914
QUOTE(DownUnderMan @ Apr 6 2008, 09:42 PM) *

JP,

Which bit of the A/F don't you like? 12.5 above 4k all the way to the top is pretty close to the money, and probably too hard to improve on. The graph is a bit hard to read even with multifocals.

H

agree.gif was going to ask the same question - 12.5 is EXACTLY what I shoot for on the dyno. In fact, I took my car to the chassis dyno after I moved to a mile high from sea level and re-jetted based on altitude conversions. I was stoked to see 12.5 all thru the pulls and didn't touch the jetting because of it.
J P Stein
Thanks for the input, guys.
I'm new to race gas so I'm a bit up in the air on this. It now blows black soot out the exhaust when you gas it and pops out the pipes on the over run. I haven't looked at the plugs as yet so I'm not doing anything for now.
URY914
So what do ya think you'll get from it when it's all dailed in, 215?
J P Stein
I don't put a lot of faith in chassis dyno numbers except for comparison. The dyno guy said the driveline losses are between 10 & 15 %.

I'll do some foolin' with it and prolly never go back to the dyno.....so confused24.gif

One thing I'm thinkin is the octane may be too high for the compression. Something to fool with.
Joe Ricard
what octane is your race gas.

Takes a mighty plug to get it lit and a coil with multi-spark discharge.

J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 8 2008, 02:48 PM) *

VP 101, which, IIRC, is 99 octane.
Maybe when I get a bit older & start forgettin' stuff, you can tell me stuff I tole you. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 8 2008, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 8 2008, 02:48 PM) *

VP 101, which, IIRC, is 99 octane.
Maybe when I get a bit older & start forgettin' stuff, you can tell me stuff I tole you. biggrin.gif

I got all that stuff you tole me stashed away for safe keeping.

Howz come you never tole me how to drive faster????? blink.gif
laugh.gif av-943.gif poke.gif
J P Stein
Iff'n I knowed how, I'd tell ya. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.