Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Washing a car cover?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Maybe a dumb question, but........

Do you guys wash your car covers, and if so, how???

I've had my 914 covered in my shop whiloe I was doing a bunch of fiberglass work on another project(s) and now cover is embedded with dust. I washed my car last and the cover did more harm then good when putting it back on.

I was thinking maybe the big laundra-mat type washer would work?
drgchapman
A pressure washer does a reasonable job.
My boat cover looks brand new again!
porschecb
I just put mine in the washer like anything else. I think it might depend what on what kind/type it is though.
scruz914
I washed mine in a regular washer. Dried it in a regular dryer too. Material is thin cotton. Kind of old and weak in spots. Came out nice. Tons of lint in the dryer trap. A large washing machine at a laundrymat, without a center agitator that the cover could get wraped around, would be the best option. I think I got lucky.

-Jeff
rjames
Depends on the cover I think. Mine is pretty thick, and seems to be made out of something other than cotton, or some kind of blend. I'm not at home now so I can't check to see what the material is, or the manufacturer. I do remember that the washing instructions say to use a commercial size washer (it wouldn't fit in my large capacity washer anyway) with a small amount mild detergent, and then to dry it with no heat.

Mine came with the car, and REALLY needs to be washed, so I'll be doing this soon too....
zymurgist
Depends on the material. I washed Babydoll's cover in my washing machine OK, but the dryer melted huge holes in it and hardened up the (plastic) material in so many places that it was rendered useless. So we came up with the Redneck Car Cover instead. This consisted of an old blanket, a used shower curtain, a too-small silver tarp, and a piece of cinder block.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13751921@N08/...57602045150930/
rjames
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 7 2008, 03:24 PM) *

Depends on the material. I washed Babydoll's cover in my washing machine OK, but the dryer melted huge holes in it and hardened up the (plastic) material in so many places that it was rendered useless. So we came up with the Redneck Car Cover instead. This consisted of an old blanket, a used shower curtain, a too-small silver tarp, and a piece of cinder block.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13751921@N08/...57602045150930/

blink.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.