Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: longer Intake manifold studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I am looking for longer intake manifold studs.
If I use one of the thick intake gaskets, my current studs are not quite long enough to bolt on my carbs. Where can I find longer ones? I did not see them at Raby's or PP, and trying to search at AA right now is neigh impossible.

My search is hampered as I don't actually know the dimensions of the stock studs.

I guess the simpler solution would be to buy another set of thin intake gaskets. But I have a new set of the thick ones, and I understand that they are better to use.

And, yes, I am aware that I am asking noob-tastic questions this evening.

Zach
degreeoff
well you can call Richard @ PMO...he sold me a set for my 6...sorry dont have his # on hand
Gint
I just got a set of 8 from Jake and they are exactly the same length as the studs I removed. And mine are too short also when using the stock gasket with the spacer.

So please let me know where you find a set. I'll be placing another order with Jake next week and I plan to ask then what he suggests I use for a gasket. I need new ones anyway and since he sold me a set the same length as what I believe are stock studs, I'm going to bet that he doesn't use a stock spaced gasket with carbs. We'll see...
Dave_Darling
Won't plain M6x1.0 (thread) in an appropriate length work fine? You should be able to get that from a good large hardware store, or at least a big auto parts place. Failing that, Caterpillar Tractor carries lots of metric stuff...

No, I don't know what the appropriate length is; if you have stock studs measure them and add however much more length you think you need.

--DD
SGB
I recently got a set of "8X40" (mm I assume) from my favorite local air cooled VW place. They worked fine with spacers on the typical tall manifold.
Gint
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 6 2008, 12:35 AM) *
Won't plain M6x1.0 (thread) in an appropriate length work fine?

Is that a question also or a statement?

I don't know either. I can assume it would be fine, but then I have one already that won't come out, so I don't want to just stick any old piece of hardware in my head.

Measuring is no sweat. I'm pretty sure they're 30mm.

Edit: They are 40mm as I indicated in my next post. And they're 8x1.25 not 6x1.00.
Gint
QUOTE(SGB @ Apr 6 2008, 12:37 AM) *

I recently got a set of "8X40" (mm I assume) from my favorite local air cooled VW place. They worked fine with spacers on the typical tall manifold.
Something must be different in CA. laugh.gif These are 40mm and they aren't quite long enough for use with my manifolds and stock intake gasket/spacers. I mean, they work... OK, but another 10mm would be great. There just isn't enough thread engagement for me.
MrKona
There's always McMaster-Carr if you can't find the correct studs locally...
sww914
I've bought 8mm X 1.25mm studs of many different lengths at the hardware store plenty of times for both intake and exhaust without a single failure. The metric stuff is all hardened to about grade 5 or grade 8 depending on which thread pitch it is, it's not soft like the SAE grade 3 crap.
URY914
Go to a real nut and bolt supplier (not Ace Hardware) and get some threaded rod and cut them to any length you need. Simple.
KaptKaos
I recently had to replace an exhaust stud. Local bug shop had an assortment of studs to choose from. I got some 9mm and 10mm step-down studs to replace the one that was stripped. I don't know if they are the same for the intake side, but it might be worth a look.

rhodyguy
i'm confused. with phenolic gaskets and cb tall manifolds, the stock intake studs work just fine for me. are you guys trying to use cut washers under the nuts?

k
VaccaRabite
I ended up buying a 1 meter all thread rod from McMaster-Carr. No one around here had it. I'll cut my studs from that, and have enough left over to make more if I need them.

Zach
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 6 2008, 11:19 AM) *

i'm confused. with phenolic gaskets and cb tall manifolds, the stock intake studs work just fine for me. are you guys trying to use cut washers under the nuts?

k

Yes.

But even if I was not trying to use a washer, there is not quite enough stud there to put a nut on and expect it to stay.

Zach
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 5 2008, 10:39 PM) *
And they're 8x1.25 not 6x1.00.

M8? Really? I could swear that they took a 10mm wrench, not a 13! (This is the intake, I mean.)

But you have checked, so my memory must be wrong. Rats, early-onset Alzheimer's....

--DD
root
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 6 2008, 11:03 AM) *

M8? Really? I could swear that they took a 10mm wrench, not a 13! (This is the intake, I mean.)

But you have checked, so my memory must be wrong. Rats, early-onset Alzheimer's....

--DD

You guys got me curious as I'm getting ready to beef up my 2.0L heads for
my typeIV two wheeler engine.

I just measured the exhaust and intake studs they are the same 6mm X 1.25.
So maybe the 6 cylinder head studs are larger like 8mm... eh? idea.gif
alpha434
Ginter,

If you're concerned about getting another stud stuck in there, maybe you should pursue stainless steel studs.

There is an aerospace fastener supplier about 3rd going NB on santa fe. You can see the building when taking the light rail. They have what you need.

EDIT: 6x1.00, Root? 6x1.25 isn't a standard thread pitch.

The other choices are 8x1.00, 8.1.25, and I guess 5x0.80
sww914
Evidence- 8mm, standard 1.25 threads.
sww914
more, a 6cyl head.
Jake Raby
Yes, we have these.. I doubt they are on the store, But email rebecca at parts@aircooledtechnology.com and she'll hook you up.
root
QUOTE(root @ Apr 6 2008, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 6 2008, 11:03 AM) *

--DD

You guys got me curious as I'm getting ready to beef up my 2.0L heads for
my typeIV two wheeler engine.

I just measured the exhaust and intake studs they are the same 6mm X 1.25.
So maybe the 6 cylinder head studs are larger like 8mm... eh? idea.gif

My Bad! you're right! I had my head temporarily up my ass! 8mm X 1.25 is correct. headbang.gif
As you can see mine's 7.93 mm X 1.25 though! biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
The studs for the rockers are 6mm. That is probably where the confusion is.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.