Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 Creamsicle found - 4742914391‏
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
Well, I've been sitting on this information for several months until I could verify that I own a LE - Creamsicle.

Here's my story:

I purchased this vehicle from a fellow Tampa Bay 914 owner, Eric. Eric had been trying to restore this vehicle for several years. The kicker was, the car had been repainted RED.... I have been in the process of restoring/reburishing several 914s, mostly '74 for several years now. Eric finally decided that he wanted to own a 914 that he could drive. He found a 914 in Georgia. He bought it and he and a friend of his drove to GA and returned with the car in Aug 2006. In Sept 2006 I again organized a TBB (Tampa Bay Breakfast) and Eric brought his new car. During the breakfast I inquired about his other car, the red one. He kept it in the garage, but was looking to get rid of it so that he could park his new car there. I asked him if he'd sell me just the doors, but he said I could have the whole car for $300. I told him I'm always looking for parts cars, but I didn't have a way to pick it up. He had a co-worker that had a trailer and he could deliver it. Well, in Oct 2006 he and his co-worker delivered the car to my 'shop' at my in-laws. I didn't have any covered storage, but put a tarp over it and stored it outside. The other part of the deal was that Eric was going to keep the engine and tranny. Fast forward to Feb 2008. It was a slow day at work so I decided to review Jeff's web-site, again. He mentions on his site that he hadn't found either a Black or Ivory built car between mid-February and early April that wasn't an LE. This got me thinking about my cars. On my website, I always list the VIN and the body color. After reviewing this information I thought that the car I bought from Eric might be an LE. I checked the car over again one weekend and noticed that there were no bumpers, rocker panels, Mahle wheels or valances. But I noticed that there wasn't any lower targa trim holes. At this point I'm fairly certain it's an LE, but I still don't have any evidence, so, I decided to request a COA from PCNA. In the mean time, Eric called and told me he had the front floor pan that he purchased and wondered if I could use it on the car. Eric had removed the floor pan and had done some extensive restoration before he sold it to me. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I made arrangements to pick this floor pan up. When I got there, he sold me the floor pan, but also gave me the only rocker panel he had. The rocker panel was painted black, but when I turned it over, there was RED paint on it. At this point I'm really excited that I found an LE that I've owned for the last 1 1/2 years. Also, that same weekend, I asked Eric if he had the engine. He said that he had sent the engine to Jake to have it bored for a larger engine kit that he was going to install in his new car. A week after the engine was shipped to Jake, Jake never recieved it. Evidently UPS FedEx had lost the engine in transit. Well, today the COA arrived and it has confirmed that the car I own is an LE. The COA confirms that the Optional Equipment is a 'Can-Am' Limited Edition Package and the Exterior Paint Color/Code is Light Ivory w/Phoenix Red Trim/U2. I've enclosed a copy of the COA, the VIN is 4742914391.

I have already contacted Jeff Bowlsby. Besides the above information, I also sent him the following:

Jeff, I just wanted to thank you for your website. Without it I probably would have used this car for parts. But, since this is one of the LE I'm planning to get it back roadworthy. Currently I've just finished a '74 2.0 Bahia Red that I'll be selling soon and I have another '74 2.0 Bahia Red that I'm finishing up. It's also a special 914 because the VIN is 4742905914, the last digits are 914..... Anyway, once I get these cars sold I'm planning to work on the LE next. This just goes to prove that these cars are still out there, but you have to be educated about their existance.

Here's a link to my website showing the LE...

When the time comes, I'll start posting the complete restoration of this car.

Here's the COA...

Click to view attachment

If Eric sees this post, I'm hoping he can add any extra information regarding this car...

Here's the car's current condition, except it has it's own storage shed now...

Click to view attachment

As you can see, this car is camouflaged very well...

-- Rob
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif that's a great find!

i'm glad you decided to put it back to it's former glory. not many LE's around anymore ...
piratenanner.gif Andy
Bleyseng
great story and find!

gawd, it seems like every damn 914 was painted Porsche Red in the late 80's...
PeeGreen 914
smilie_pokal.gif Very nice find. Keep us up to date on the restoration.
rick 918-S
thumb3d.gif
914Sixer
Good save!!!!
watsonrx13
Thanks everyone for the encouragements. This will be the most extensive project that I've attempted, but definately looking forward to the challenge. creamsicle914.jpg

-- Rob
Michael N
Wow that would have been missed by most people. Not a whole lot of clues to even begin researching or questioning if it would have been a LE. Nice find!!! Now if UPS FedEx could just find that engine. How does a engine get misplaced? idea.gif
mudfoot76
Great story and a great save!!!

QUOTE(Michael N @ Apr 6 2008, 10:04 PM) *

How does a engine get misplaced? idea.gif

There is a reason that Jake only uses FedEx and is quite explicit to anyone sending anything to him to only use FedEx.

ericread
Congratulations beerchug.gif

It's great to hear of one of these rare teeners being saved. driving.gif
Pudge
The engine case was lost by FexEd Ground, big mistake using them. It left our facility and made it as far as Orlando before it dropped off the face of the earth.

I purchased the car from a British car shop in Land O' Lakes for $400. Apparently it had been sitting in a field with four flat tires hence the rusted out floor pans. The engine was out of the car but the transmission was still in made for a fun pull onto the trailer. The engine had broke a valve off and it was pushed back into the head.

I know I put alot of work into it fixing the hell hole and trunk area and putting the rear pan in. Rob has his work cut out for him getting it back into shape but he can do it.

I'm enjoying my 914 and just finished building and installing a 2316 from Jake. If you are going to build a motor you definatley need to get hooked up with Jake and his great support staff. Looking forward to Sebring in May to see how it will run.
URY914
biggrin.gif

watsonrx13
Eric, thanks for the information, I've updated the correct shipping company in the original post....

And again, thanks for the opportunity to restore one of these cars.... shades.gif

-- Rob
davep
Congratulations. Put a push on UPS to find the engine. It has probably turned up in the lost and found. Don't let them auction it off.
watsonrx13
Well, I've finally begun working on this car. Here's the work I've done in January 2009... I began with the front trunk area....

Here's the before shot of the right headlight bucket area.... The PO had cut the front section off...

Click to view attachment

Here's the after shot. I also had to create a new channel section and the holes for the eyebrow rubber grommets...

Click to view attachment

Here's the before shot of the left headlight bucket. The floor of the bucket was completely rusted out, along with the front section and the channel area....

Click to view attachment

Here's the after shot...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
watsonrx13
I also worked on the floor, there was a couple of rusted out sections...

Click to view attachment

Here's the after shot...

Click to view attachment

Finally, the car evidently ran over something and pushed the front section in...

Click to view attachment

I completely removed this and welded in a new section from a donor car....

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
JRust
Looking good my man! My creamsicle should be going to the shop for paint this week. Nice to see you are making progress w00t.gif
Pat Garvey

I'm in awe!

Wonderful find. Glad you have the cajones to bring it back to its glory. More power to you!
JeffBowlsby
Yeppers! Great work Rob! Exciting to see this one saved...thumb3d.gif

drooley.gif
bcheney
Rob,

Nice find. You really had patience and it paid off!!!

Brian
seanery
I'm not a big LE fan, but I the Creamsicle is the exception - I think they're cool. Great Work on the research Rob!!! Oh, and your metalwork looks really nice so far, too! w00t1.gif
Johny Blackstain
creamsicle914.jpg thumb3d.gif
Richard Casto
Very nice work. I can only hope mine turns out as nice when I do my own headlight repair work.
watsonrx13
Last couple of months have been very HOT, so progress has been slowed... I stripped the wiring harness and the under dash vents and wipers... I've finished installing the front section of the floorboards....

Here's a before shot....

Click to view attachment

Here's the front section positioned ....

Click to view attachment

Here's the final result after many hours of welding, sanding, seam-sealer and painting...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
trojanhorsepower
That looks great!
How are you prepping the area where the new metal joins the old. Sandblaster? Grinder?
I am having lots of trouble getting in all the tight places.
Also, what kind of caulk and why?

Thanks

-Peter
watsonrx13
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Aug 16 2009, 08:10 AM) *

That looks great!
How are you prepping the area where the new metal joins the old. Sandblaster? Grinder?
I am having lots of trouble getting in all the tight places.
Also, what kind of caulk and why?

Thanks

-Peter

Peter, I guess I should rephrase it to seam-sealer... I got the seam-sealer from the automotive paint store....

The area where the new metail joins the old, I use a grinder to remove everything down to bare metal.... I also use a small air-grinder to get into the hard-to-reach areas... Finally, I use Ospho to treat the metal before welding, this helps to protect the metal before I paint..

-- Rob
tracks914
Great find, keep up the good work.
Now is the time to do the clutch tube repairs. (tunnel and firewall)
If you plan on keeping the car you won't regret taking the extra hour or so to do it now.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Aug 17 2009, 11:43 AM) *

Great find, keep up the good work.
Now is the time to do the clutch tube repairs. (tunnel and firewall)
If you plan on keeping the car you won't regret taking the extra hour or so to do it now.

While the front section of the floor was gone, I checked the welds on the clutch tube and they were very solid. Once I get to the engine compartment I'll check where they exit and will repair as needed....

-- Rob
watsonrx13
Repaired and primered underneath the cowl... and underneath the fuel tank...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
Roy
...and then?
watsonrx13
(More excuses... biggrin.gif ). Well after a very COLD FL winter, I'm finally back to work on the LE. This week I removed the left rear fender. The PO cut a section out to repair the inner fender well, but when they welded the section back in, they used too much heat and warped the metal. I decided to remove the section, cut a piece from my donor car and weld the new section back in.

Before shot...

Click to view attachment

Donor section removed...

Click to view attachment

LE section removed...

Click to view attachment

New section set in place...

Click to view attachment

New section welded in...

Click to view attachment

BTW, the green is etch primer and the lime green is weldable etch primer, I ran out of the regular green primer... dry.gif

-- Rob
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hay; Great find and great work. Please keep us posted as you progress.

Dave slap.gif
silver74insocal
awesome find and keep up the great work!! can i ask why green primer? Dave
watsonrx13
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Mar 7 2010, 05:05 PM) *

awesome find and keep up the great work!! can i ask why green primer? Dave

Rattle can from Home Depot. Normally I use automotive gray but was out, so I used what I had laying around.

-- Rob
JRust
Looking good Rob. I didn't do much on mine over the winter either. Hopefully in a few weeks I can start in earnest again.
jcambo7
Keep up the great work. popcorn[1].gif drunk.gif
watsonrx13
I cut out and replaced the right rear fender this week. Again the PO cut out a section to fix the inner fenderwell but welded too fast and warped the metal. I cut out the fender from the donor and welded in the LE. I removed all bondo and paint from both fender so that I could see what was needed. The donor has up to 1/2" bondo, but when I removed it there was only a small section that was repaired.

Here's the before shot...

Click to view attachment

Shot after I removed the paint and sprayed with an etch primer...

Click to view attachment

This is a shot of the donor fender showing the thickness of the bondo... blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Donor fender welded and painted with etch primer. After I've stripped and checked all exterior panels I'll go back and finish everything at the same time.

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
URY914
You didn't miss anything at the swap meet.....
watsonrx13
The last couple of months I've been working on the body. This is very time consuming. Here are some pics...

right rear fender...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

left rear fender...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

rear trunk...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
watsonrx13
left front fender... BTW, this is my 2500th posting....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

right front fender...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

front trunk...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I still have to sand/patch a couple of places but overall it came out great...

-- Rob
JRust
Looking great man aktion035.gif
veltror
Looking like the dogs Bollocks !! way to go!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.