Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: difference 70 to 74 door?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markwemple
Found a potential door replacement for my '70 but it is a '74 door. What are the differences?
Joe Ricard
35 to 40 pounds per door.

Not only is there a crash bar in the late door but the siscor lift window mechanism is pretty heavy as well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 6 2008, 04:09 PM) *

35 to 40 pounds per door.

Not only is there a crash bar in the late door but the siscor lift window mechanism is pretty heavy as well.

plus, the later window won't seal right against your early targa top ...

ask me how i know ...
dry.gif Andy
markwemple
If I only use the shell and install the earlier lift and glass and vent window, will that work?
SirAndy
QUOTE(markwemple @ Apr 6 2008, 05:45 PM) *

If I only use the shell and install the earlier lift and glass and vent window, will that work?

no. the door frame itself is different. the early mechanism and glass won't fit unless you do some major cutting & welding on the door ...

what's wrong with your old door?
idea.gif Andy
markwemple
Has rust on the leading edge including the area that holds the door seal. That is almost nonexistent. the majority of the door, including the bottom is very good, however. I just don't believe that cutting and welding is justified unless I can't find a replacement.

So, what years will work?
SirAndy
QUOTE(markwemple @ Apr 6 2008, 08:18 PM) *

So, what years will work?

'70 and '71 for sure. some (very) early '72 as well, but buying a '72 would be a gamble as it was a changeover year ...
shades.gif Andy
914rat
Actually 73 was the changeover year.The early 73 1.7 has the old style door and window regulators.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914rat @ Apr 7 2008, 09:23 AM) *

Actually 73 was the changeover year.

oops ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
roadster fan
I have a 73 that has later mechanism's in early lightweight doors. Didnt realize it until i picked up two doors for my 71 and one was a lightweight and one was a later heavyweight with old style mechanism.

The weight difference is obvious.

Can't explain why I have later mechanisms in light doors though.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.