Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
Search turned up a lot of good information (as always) on wheel spacers, but I didn't see anything that made me comfortable "enough" to know just how wide of a spacer I can use up front with this particular setup. I've read that tire track is 1" narrower up front than in back, but then read that 1/4" spacer per side is widest that will fit under stock fenders. Hmm. Obviously it depends on the wheels/tires, so I thought I'd post with my particular setup.

FWIW I'm interested in the spacers simply to push the track out a bit to fill out the fenders, for aesthetic reasons. I understand the consequences/considerations that come along with doing so, none of which seem prohibitive to me.

SO ~ anyone out there running a similar setup that might be able to offer feedback on this spacer question? Stud length won't be an issue. Oh, and it won't be possible for me to "mount the wheels and then measure" either, or that's exactly what I'd do... smile.gif

Thanks all!
horizontally-opposed
I'll be playing around with this as soon as my car is back from paint. Deep sixes with either 185/70s or 205/60s. Not sure yet.

Anyway, I suspect you can get more than 0.25-inch spacers in there, as a lot of people run 15x7s and 16x7s with 205s under stock 914 front fenders. That said, I'd be careful (of course) in advising you that "it's okay" to do so because serious cosmetic damage can result that I don't want to pay for as a thank you for my advice.

Bottom line, some shops really know what they're up to with fender clearance on particular cars and may have the answer you're/we're looking for. Absent that, I'm going to stack spacers and turn into a driveway with a spotter checking the tire clearance. It will be tedious, but smarter and cheaper and quicker than re-doing paint later.

pete
Lavanaut
Pete that's great feedback, thanks. I would really appreciate hearing more once your experiments are underway!
Lavanaut
icon_bump.gif ...anyone else?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.