Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-friendly magazines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
reverie
I just bought my first 914, and quickly found this website, and pelican of course, and rennlist.

There's a nice healthy community of Porsche 914 enthusiasts on the internet, but I can't find any 914-friendly magazines in Seattle. Have all the good ol' 914 magazines joined the choir invisible? Road & Track is good reading, but it's just not the same.. maybe Excellence or Panorama.. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm glad to be aboard! Just one of the many Seattle members of this board.. tongue.gif
djm914-6
On several occasions, Grassroots Motorsports runs 914 articles. The latest issue is on 914 suspensions. You can also follow some of their project car transformation on their website. They just announced the purchase of a Classic car magazine, so with any luck, we may see more stuff in the future.
Bleyseng
Pictures!! Welcome to the BBS and we love pics so please post. Tell us about your car we are interested in it, really.
Try to attend the Autocross events as thats where most of the 914 action is. There is one this Saturday at Bremerton Raceway, should be about 10 914's there, so come on out and meet everybody. Korijo (Dave), ChrisReale (Chris) should be there also.

Order the past issues of Grassroots Motorsports for their articles on restoring a green 914.

clap56.gif
Geoff (Bleyseng)-driving the car that looks like Chris Campbells
boxstr
Looks like a 76 to me... biggrin.gif enjoyng the wet stuff.
Geoff looks good..
CCLinLOO
anthony
Between the Rennlist 914 mailing list, the 914club board and the Pelican board you'll have way more 914 content in one day than you'll get from any magazine in a year.

As was noted, Grassroots Motorsports has been doing a 914 project. You can even buy all their 914 related issues from the store at their web site. Excellence also has an occasional 914 article.
Brad Roberts
I'm going to agree with Anthony on this one. I have yet to see a magazine answer my 914 questions as fast as this board does.

Welcome aboard. The Northwest is well represented here.

B
reverie
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the change from magazines to internet has been a good thing. I wish all "progress" was this good!

I'll get some pics asap. It's a stock yellow '76 2.0 with Fuchs wheels.. needs some adjustments, but it cruised great all the way home from Portland.

Geoffmeister, I'll try to get to the autocross tomorrow.. gonna need coffee first. As Yoda says, "There is no 'try'.. there is only 'do' or 'don't do'." unsure.gif
Bleyseng
If you show up before 9:00AM you can run the AX as there is usually 5 extra helmets around. If you show up later look for the orange car and I'll be around somewhere BSing with everyone.

Geoff driving.gif
Aaron Cox
welcome aboard! uh...im too poor to afford a magazine! dunno much about who covers what- this site pelican and rennlist all have a wealth of info on their BBS's driving.gif
rick 918-S
Magazines are cool, but the BBS is kind of a daily self renewing magazine. Everone's welcome to submit an article, the editor is very liberal. Welcome, and feel free to post a picture and get your car featured. aktion035.gif mueba.gif wavey.gif
914werke
driving.gif SEATTLE REP-RESENTING!! Got to agree Grassroots is the only current rag I am aware of.
European Car WAS a good source untill they changed thier format not to long ago to a more upscale style and $$ auto content.
I still remember fondly when it was "VW & Porsche"
NOW that was my kind of periodical! biggrin.gif

R.
Dave Cawdrey
Welcome to the bored... Please excuse my tardiness in the greeting. I'm_a_bit_slow -_-
reverie
Yeah, actually it was my memories of those two magazines that prompted me to ask the question. They were great reading!! I really like this forum, though.. dis 'bored' is da kine, man. cool.gif
Dave_Darling
The editor of Excellence is a 914 guy at heart. He mentions his car every once in a while in the editorials. Plus, in the most recent article, he made an oblique reference to the 914 in a Boxster/Z4 comparo article. "30 years later, the best roadster is still the one with two trunks." smile.gif

But if you want real 914 content, well.... GRM is about the only one lately. "Nine Magazine" has had some, but they are just getting started and seem to have some teething problems. (There's a link somewhere on the Pelican site to them.) Panorama usually has one or two 914-specific tech questions in each issue, answered by Jon Lowe. About once a year they will run an article on a particular 914 or something specific about 914s, and another one or two articles are general enough that they also cover 914s...

But there ain't a lot more out there...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.