Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedo quit on me yesterday, what the f?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
the4ork
so.. i just noticed that it wasnt working while driving through my neighborhood...

what common problem should i look for?

where does the speedo cable run? obviously from the gauge to? the transmission?
if so thats a pretty long speedo cable

maybe it runs somewhere to one of the front wheels?
degreeoff
welcome.png the speedo runs from the gauge ALL the back to the tranny (end of tranny) it either.........

1- came loose at one of the ends (pull out the speedo and look @ the back) (jack up car and ((safely)) look to see all is tight back there or.....

2- broke one of the parts (speedo or 90 degree gizmo @ the tranny)

I think it would be tough to break the cable as it is pretty stout but if you were drilling weldin or dickin around along the route I suppose it could be possible?

Josh
SGB
The speedo drive gear gizmo is a common failure. I would look there first.
mudfoot76
FWIW, when I had this same problem back in 2002, it turned out to be the speedo cable had broken off at the angle drive. Looked to have just worn out over time and appeared to have been the factory original. Bought a new cable from Pelican, reinstall and everything worked again...
SLITS
More than likely the cable drive tang. The speedo adaptor at the end of the tranny, held in by a locating bolt, has a gear with a long shaft coming out of it. At the end of the shaft it is flattened into a tang which mates up to the 90 degree angle drive .... this tang breaks off.

Before you pull this unit, jack the ass end of the car way up so the gear oil runs to the front of the tranny ... otherwise you will get a bath in gear oil.
tango-52
I have had two cables break on mine. One lasted a day! I rotated the speedometer so I could see it better. I think this may have put a kink into it. It broke off the last inch where it goes into the speedometer. Is it possible to get just the inner cable?
the4ork
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Apr 9 2008, 05:49 AM) *

FWIW, when I had this same problem back in 2002, it turned out to be the speedo cable had broken off at the angle drive. Looked to have just worn out over time and appeared to have been the factory original. Bought a new cable from Pelican, reinstall and everything worked again...

you know it might be wise of me to check out the gear oil and see its condition. i havent changed it before.

i remember the angle gizmo on the trans, i wiggled ti around thinking it might have something to do with the speedo, it seemed loose but still "in there" to me. my thought is that it came disconnected at the speedo, or something has snapped somewhere.

how hard was the cable to replace? i assume you gotta take half the car apart to do it
tango-52
Replacement is fairly quick, about half an hour. Maybe longer if you have a center console to deal with.
swl
uncouple the speedometer cable at the angle drive. use your drill IN REVERSE with a blade screwdriver bit to run up the speedometer. If it works then the problem is with the angle drive. Search for +angle +drive with an author of Dr Evil. Good instructions on how to replace.

If the speedometer doesn't respond then the next likely is the cable. You can confirm by removing the speedometer and driving it directly with the drill but getting it out is a bit of a bothersome job.
effutuo101
If you have to replace the cable, put a piece of string on it and pull it out. Attach the string to it to help route it back through. I have changed about 3 like this and it works really well.
I have been thinking of changing to an electronic pickup (off of the angle drive) to eliminate that problem
RJMII
I had a dead speedo when I got my car last summer. I got the impression it was the angle drive, ordered one from someone, and THEN tested.

I now have a good angle drive in the passenger seat floorboard of my car.

(I did the drill test after replacing the angle drive, turned out to be the speedo itself)
mudfoot76
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Apr 10 2008, 11:23 AM) *

If you have to replace the cable, put a piece of string on it and pull it out. Attach the string to it to help route it back through. I have changed about 3 like this and it works really well.
I have been thinking of changing to an electronic pickup (off of the angle drive) to eliminate that problem

agree.gif

This is how I changed mine. My car has a center console, so it makes the task more of a PITA but I think it took about an hour start to finish...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.