Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much does the Engine/Transmission Weigh?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
I am getting ready to drop my engine/transmission this weekend (1974 2.0L w/original FI - all stock).

How much does the engine + tansmission weigh? Harbor Freight has a transmission jack for $60.00 bucks. Will this work OK for me?

450 LB. CAPACITY TRANSMISSION JACK

Click to view attachment

Perfect for removing transmissions on smaller vehicles. Heavy duty steel construction with ball bearing easy-roll casters. Includes 2''W x 43''L nylon strap to secure the load. Works with any 1/2'' drive ratchet handle (not included).
Saddle tilts for easy positioning
Maximum capacity: 450 lbs.
Lift range: 7-1/4'' to 23-1/4''
Cradle size: 6-7/8'' x 13''
3'' non-marring swivel casters
Overall dimensions: 16-1/2''L x 15-5/8''W x 8''H
Tool weight: 33.25 lbs.

SLITS
Engine about 350 lbs .... tranny about 80 lbs

3 ton floor jack works wonderfully
TravisNeff
You need to use a rachet to raise or lower that jack, better havea lot of extensions. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be under the engine when it is all free from the mounts - jack or not.
ericread
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 9 2008, 10:49 AM) *

You need to use a rachet to raise or lower that jack, better havea lot of extensions. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be under the engine when it is all free from the mounts - jack or not.

So how about the Harbor Freight unit described above? Any downside to using that?
G e o r g e
use this and this together

or 2 of these and 2 of these
TravisNeff
I used that HF jack to remove an engine/trans once (with lots of extensions and an air rachet. It worked, but it bent the saddle and was definately at it's max with the engine/trans on it. I didn't use it to put the engine back in, I used a standard jack.

Check out an ATV jack instead. Make sure it is the kind that the jack moves with the handle. Lemme see if I can find a pic
TravisNeff
This jack is no good. I know because I have one. Since the bottle jack portion doesn't move it gets in the way of the transmission.
TravisNeff
This style would be a better choice
ericread
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 9 2008, 11:16 AM) *

THANKS! beerchug.gif

I see I almost made a mistake here. I will look for what you are recommending. Where did you get yours?

degreeoff
use this one....worth the $$

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdi...mission%20Jacks
TravisNeff
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 9 2008, 11:20 AM) *

THANKS! beerchug.gif

I see I almost made a mistake here. I will look for what you are recommending. Where did you get yours?

I have all the ones that I don't recomend, lol. I like Chris Foley's jack attachment, or the ATV jack I showed you - I did a google image search for ATV jack - looks like those run about $150
ericread
Anybody out there in SoCal got one i can use for the weekend??? I'm in Irvine (south Orange County) and the offer comes with a case of beer!!! beer3.gif
Cevan
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 9 2008, 01:24 PM) *

I have to disagree with the motor being 350 pounds. My wife and I lifted one of my motors into the bed of my pickup. I doubt she can dead lift 175 lbs. My guess is the motor weighs about 180-200 lbs.

Why not use a furniture dolly and use the Pelican method? I made mine for $20 using wheels from Home Depot (2 swivel and 2 stationary) and 2x4s I had lying around.
ericread
QUOTE(Cevan @ Apr 9 2008, 12:42 PM) *

I have to disagree with the motor being 350 pounds. My wife and I lifted one of my motors into the bed of my pickup. I doubt she can dead lift 175 lbs. My guess is the motor weighs about 180-200 lbs.

Why not use a furniture dolly and use the Pelican method? I made mine for $20 using wheels from Home Depot (2 swivel and 2 stationary) and 2x4s I had lying around.

Without imnplying any disrespect whatsoever, what's your wife doing this weekend? OK, I'm just kidding - thanks for the advice. (Got to be realllly careful with the wife humor...)
bperry
I bought the Motorcycle lift from SAMs a couple of years ago for $80.
Click to view attachment

It works great. I wish it had a bit more lift, but I was able to easily remove
and install the engine by myself.
I think if I were doing it again, I'd look for a nice low profile transmission jack
that had a removable plate so that it could function as normal jack.
Also from what I've seen, the transmission jacks seem to have alot more lift height.
In other words I'd rather spend a little bit more to have a second jack that
is dual function with lots of lift height than to have a nice
"914 engine remover" jack.

Or get Chris's custom plates and use it on a nice low profile jack.
(Again, dual functionality vs a dedicated 914 engine jack).
Click to view attachment

Or if you are a CSOB like many of us and already have a jack
you could try one of these transmission adapter plates. Not as stable
or as nice as Chris's plate but quite a bit cheaper from HarborFreight.
Actually its cheaper than the lift you originally were looking at.
Click to view attachment

--- bill
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Apr 9 2008, 12:42 PM) *

Ummm... she must be strong blink.gif The engine with everything on it is rather heavy and is much more that 200lbs.
akellym
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 9 2008, 01:16 PM) *

I agree works great!
JeffBowlsby
Factory manual says the 1.7/1.8L engine weighs 278 lbs. FWIW

Add HEs, Trans, starter and exhaust to that if you pull them out as a unit.
HAM Inc
Our race ready engine and 901 tranny, bolted together weighed 293 on our race scales. It had nickies and that was without the Tangerine header. Iron cylinders and factory HE's will add a few pounds.
Gint
Hey Len,

You probably didn't have the stock tin and junk installed did you?
J P Stein

This jack is no good. I know because I have one. Since the bottle jack portion doesn't move it gets in the way of the transmission.

Well golly, that's a big problem huh.gif .
TravisNeff
haHA! Foiled.
spunone
I have a atv -motorcycle Jack iffin ya need one to use
okieflyr
Here's How mine went in.... 495lbs I used square tubing for temp bridge/balance.
Like Travis, I'd preffer the motorcycle style jack. But I run what I brung...
TravisNeff
So the only catch is to have the whole car in the air vs. just the rear.

J P Stein
On the occasion of that pic, I took the engine off the stand with the ATV jack, bolted the trans in place, then loaded it into the car in the space of 4-5 hours....by my self. Anyone that use a bulkhead mount for a 6 comes to appreciate the stability and fine height adjustments of this jack. Getting the front mounts lined up can be a real bear. This time things went very well.....but I've had practice. biggrin.gif

Yes, having the whole car up and 2-3 inches down by the nose makes things easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.